Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With multiple expansions each includes a drink deck. Since emptying the deck and reshuffling costs the players gold, how big should the deck be per number of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As big as you want it. It really doesn't matter as it gets reshuffled anyway. Having more cards in it just makes it more random what drinks pop up. The more cards, the less chance of getting a specific one. There is no official rule for the number of cards in the drink deck that I know of. It is all personal preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The developers actually recommend that you try to keep the drink deck at about 30 cards due to the paying the inn mechanic when you need to reshuffle it.

You can mix all the drink decks together and separate it into 30 card decks, remembering that everybody must pay a gold each time you get through the about 30 cards and go to the next deck.

Edit: You can read the article they wrote about keeping the deck slim here. The main reason is that gold-centric characters need this to stay competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it makes sense to vary the size of the drink deck based on how many players are playing. You can see my numbers by looking up my post about that in the Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain Phalanx
msg tools
The base rules already account for more players causing more drink deck reshuffles by giving players extra gold during setup. You start with 12 gold in a 7-8 player game. 8 gold in a 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Any ratio of cards? I RDI 1&2 with 3 on its way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavanized Yankee wrote:
Any ratio of cards? I RDI 1&2 with 3 on its way.
I can't tell what you're asking here. Ratio of cards from different expansions? I like to mix all the drinks together and build my decks from there, but that's going to make for a more swingy drink deck. One game you might see 3 holy waters and the next game it will seem like you're always seeing drinks with chasers. If you rather see more consistency/reliability, then just grab all the drinks that come with one of the games and run with it.

Also, when I make my deck I favour chasers a little because I think the whole adding drinks to peoples' decks thing doesn't work very well because they will never drink those decks. This is particularly true for the early games/allies; newer characters have ways of making their opponents drink those extra drinks. If you want to favour chasers, a simple way is to take 28 random cards and just shuffle two chasers in to make your 30 card deck.

You can totally do things to your individual taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Waller
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The above comments are pretty much spot on, but if you want something more official you can check out our blog post on the subject here:

http://slugfestgames.com/30-card-drink-deck/

Long story short, keep your deck to about 30-33 cards and you can make it up out of whatever you like. If you feel that the Drink Deck is a little too game defining, pull some of the Chasers and put in some normal drinks or promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.