GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Dominion (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: New to board gaming/Dominion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bance
msg tools
Was going to pick up Dominion on my next visit to the game store but now I see that this new version is coming out. Should I assume that all of the old expansions will also be redone or should I just get the 1st edition?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been said that all expansions will get a second edition but no timeline has been set that I have seen for that to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
The old and new editions are completely compatible so I'd say get the new base game and Intrigue but pick up whichever versions of he expansions that you want. Donald says Empires does not need a second edition, so that may be a place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
It has been said that all expansions will get a second edition but no timeline has been set that I have seen for that to happen.

This is misleading. Only Dominion (base set) and Intrigue are getting true second editions with new cards, etc. All the other expansions are merely getting minor wording updates and larger typeface sizes where possible. There's no schedule for these other minor updates; it's just whenever any given expansion next needs to be printed.

So I would recommend getting the second editions of Dominion and Intrigue, but I wouldn't worry about which version of the other sets you end up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (AFK/Away)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from News to General.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first edition of Intrigue had the base cards, so you could play it as a standalone game. The second edition will not have the base cards, so you'll wants 2nd edition Dominion as your base game.

From there, you will very likely want at least one expansion; Intrigue wouldn't be *my* first choice, but read through what the different sets add and choose something up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Or get the base cards pack and intrigue second edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.