Subject: Not having the USSR go first might make the game better rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arrrrr!
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Some years ago, when I first learned TS, I accidentally played it wrong- instead of the having the USSR go first every turn, I though that whoever's headline activates first (whoever played the higher ops card) went first EVERY action round that turn.

Having played both ways several times, I've definitely had more fun playing this way. In fact, my opponents agreed that the game got worse once we played with USSR going first every turn.

Now, I know you think TS is a perfect game, any change will ruin it, blah blah blah.

If you're going to comment that, don't bother. This is a Variants forum.

I just want to discuss the feasibility and potential effects of this change.

Some benefits of this variant I have noticed:

The game is no longer slanted towards USSR and not too slanted towards US (a very intelligent first-timer beat me as USSR). The game is more beginner-friendly, especially for a US player. USSR doesn't ALWAYS get that predictable AR1 coup to send defcon back to 2. Now, a player can strategize based on how much he WANTS to go first on AR1. Really want to do that coup? Headline a 4, at the expense of using it for ops. Not only does the game become more strategic, but it seems more historically accurate. The powers were neck and neck, USSR wasn't always one step ahead.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an easy time for the US.

Also, it sounds like a strong last AR by the last side followed by a strong headline and AR1 by the same side would be very swingy. Three back-to-back ARs (well, 2 and a headline, but a good headline) shouldn't be so easy to achieve.

Yeah, I think it is a bad idea that has no up-side and a few significant down-sides. I'm sure you'll interpret anything I add as "blah blah blah" though, so I'll leave it at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob lawblaw
msg tools
I guess Nuclear Test Ban as a headline becomes viable now lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrrrr!
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
It's not three back to back, since the opponent gets their headline.

It's pretty powerful, but just as powerful as Russia headlining and immediately taking AR1, except it's not EVERY TURN for the same player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrrrr!
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Also, if your opponent goes last in AR, headlines first, and goes first AR1, then you can attempt the same tactic next turn since you are going last in AR.

I see how it's a powerful move, but since both players can do it, it just becomes another part of the strategy. Plus, the increased strain on ops makes things interesting, since there's a trade off between going first and playing a 4 for ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Sparks
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
The 'Turn Zero' supplement has an outcome where the U.S. goes first in the Early War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
Interesting. Would have to try it to really get a feel for how it works. But, my impression is that it would make the game more swingy/random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.