Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow users to nominate to demote game images to the owner's image gallery.

Would need to be modded, unless it's the user's own image.

(Ideally only set this up after personal gallery images can be linked to games, so that the link isn't lost.)

Edit: clarified in response to Aldie's comment below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Re: IMG IMPRV: Allow users to demote images from game galler
What's to prevent some griefer to nominate every image on the site?

I don't have a problem with you demoting your own images off - but killing the old stuff is only gonna cause grief.

I can already see dozens of emails asking me where their images went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: IMG IMPRV: Allow users to demote images from game galler
This is a bad idea, Joe, and I'll tell you why.

If you give me this power, I am immediately going to turn loose on pictures with cats in boxes. News flash: no one cares about your cat but you. Even other cat people--it just reminds them of their cat, not yours.

Now extrapolate that to the entire population who will have some bias against some picture type or another. Maybe it's painted figures. Maybe it's shots with people in them. Maybe it's "girl holding game box" pictures. Eventually all we're left with are the box covers and then 'spread all the components out' shots.

Bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: IMG IMPRV: Allow users to demote images from game galleries

Hence the need for modding unless it's your own image.

As per representative image nominations, the last time an image was nominated for demotion could be retained.

Users could always renominate their own image for demotion.

When nominating an image to be promoted to the game gallery, users could still nominate any image to be replaced.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/164630

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: IMG IMPRV: Allow users to demote images from game galleries
Oh, I see what happened. I posted the thread amongst some others as a placeholder, realised I hadn't clarified specifically that the demotion would need to be modded, and edited that. But you were both too quick for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really on the fence about this one.

I do think that a lot of galleries are really really cluttered with garbage images. But then again... the person that uploaded that image may not have thought it was garbage... and the people that accepted it might not have either.

I can see the idea that modding removal would make it "ok" or more "democratic" or whatever but I can definately see it causing major major waves.
Not to mention, what is to be done when images used in geeklists start dropping into the twilight zone?

.... If it happened I think I would get behind it but... I kind of don't think it should happen at the same time. I'm certainly not going to say it's a "bad idea" by any stretch.

Anyway, my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So maybe either only allow the owner to nominate it's demotion. No modding should be required of course for a user to demote their own image. (If someone thinks something should be demoted badly enough, they could geekmail the owner. I don't think this would happen much.)

I was trying to work out how to deal with images by users who don't log in any more.

Maybe an email sent to the user, who can veto?
Maybe allow users to nominate images for demoting if the owner hasn't logged in for six months?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
"Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
badge
The ticket to the future is always open.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: IMG IMPRV: Moving game images to user galleries (clarifi
Demoted images could get sent to a user's gallery where he or she can remove or keep it. We don't need four badly cropped, badly rotated, blown out images of a beat up old box when someone has uploaded a nice crisp image, squared to the corners cluttering up a game's image gallery.

We just need to have a clear discussion of why images should be removed. More and more, Aldie, I would like a clear statement of purpose for the image database so that modders can make better decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: IMG IMPRV: Moving game images to user galleries (clarifi
I missed the part about needing to be modded.

I could see the merit in getting rid of some pictures on the Geek. However, we would need CLEAR instructions on what would classify a picture as being worthy of deletion/moving.

Also, this would create a potential for hard feelings--"My picture was good enough to get approved the first time, but now it's getting shunted off to my private collection?" Some people take a lot of pride in their images.

I guess we'd have to see how it goes. I see positives and negatives of the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Think of it as spring cleaning. Images that aren't great should be moved to user galleries. If users are upset their image is no longer in the game image gallery they can be happy knowing that they are contributing to the improvement of the site and to put more effort into submitting quality images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
btw I notice if we delete an image from our user gallery, it seems to live on in the Old Images Home somewhere, since I created a test geeklist header with one of my images in it, deleted the image from my gallery, waited ten minutes and refreshed my cache... and it still showed the image.

This is a Really Good Idea. Thanks Aldie. It'll keep articles from being broken if someone decides to drop their images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
This is a bad idea, Joe, and I'll tell you why.

If you give me this power, I am immediately going to turn loose on pictures with cats in boxes.

What's wrong with that? For that reason alone I think this is a great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.