Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at grabbing this, and since the Kickstarter content is available for sale, I might be grabbing that while it is available.

While I think I have a solid handle on the game from watching videos, reading reviews, and listening to podcasts, I have to admit that I'm not clear on what the additional content adds. Can anyone either

a.) Fill me in on what exactly is added by these two "expansions"

b.) Give me an opinion as to whether they are worth the ~$20 asking price

Thanks in advance for any input on this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's up to you.

both packs really just add extra fluff, no new gameplay elements really. (not that I can remember)

1 packs adds an extra easel, some clear cubes to use instead of the regular white ones, and like a bag. (maybe something else)

The other pack is for exclusive paintings to mix in with regular paintings. I believe there is even a blank one to add your own if you so desire. (there may be variant rules for these paintings but I don't remember)

Not necessary by any means. They do fit in the box and if you want a complete edition or extra fluff, it's probably worth it. I do think it should be 4.99 a pack, but I also give EGG credit for at least offering the option of purchasing the additions if you missed the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samuraislyr wrote:
...but I also give EGG credit for at least offering the option of purchasing the additions if you missed the kickstarter.

My thought as well. Refreshing to see for both this and for Vinhos. I hate discovering that my lack of interest in judiciously following Kickstarter means that I either can't get some gameplay content or that I have to go to the secondary market at a huge markup for it. $165 for a Fifth player in Orleans? Really?

So I get that the pack with extra materials is all just fancy components/additional stuff. But the paintings add no new gameplay? That's certainly worth knowing.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiyum wrote:
So I get that the pack with extra materials is all just fancy components/additional stuff. But the paintings add no new gameplay? That's certainly worth knowing.

I'd double check that. I think the extra paintings did have some slight variant rule, but I don't remember it being significant. It was like replace a few paintings and these new ones do this kinda thing (I think) whistle

If I get the chance I'll look for my copy and see if I can see exactly what those rules might have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pack with the easel, clear cubes, and bag don't seem worth it to me. It doesn't add anything to gameplay. I usually put the meeples in a mug or the bag that came with the game and I actually switched in 8 clear gems from Viticulture that fit perfectly on the artists and actually magnify the price a little.
The other pack is 12 pieces of art, 2 sculpture, 2 digital art, 2 photographs, and 2 paintings that get added to the stacks. There are 2 other paintings with kickstarter art that can replace 2 in the original set. There are also 2 blanks, a digital art and a photograph.
The 8 added pieces of art either give 3 tickets and 0 fame, or 0 tickets and 3 fame + collectors. This doesn't add too much to the gameplay, just a slight variation on how the resources come out. The art is beautiful on these though. I don't know if almost $2 per tile is worth it, but it's up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Will,

Thanks for breaking that down for me. That's very helpful.

Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The pack with the extra does add a slight varient. 4 of them give 3 fame and no tickets, the other 4 give no fame and 3 tickets. This slight varient can change how quickly the game ends. Honestly, I'm glad I have them, but don't use them often since I'm usually teaching new people how to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marguerite Cottrell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
The pack with the easel, clear cubes, and bag don't seem worth it to me. It doesn't add anything to gameplay. I usually put the meeples in a mug or the bag that came with the game and I actually switched in 8 clear gems from Viticulture that fit perfectly on the artists and actually magnify the price a little.
The other pack is 12 pieces of art, 2 sculpture, 2 digital art, 2 photographs, and 2 paintings that get added to the stacks. There are 2 other paintings with kickstarter art that can replace 2 in the original set. There are also 2 blanks, a digital art and a photograph.
The 8 added pieces of art either give 3 tickets and 0 fame, or 0 tickets and 3 fame + collectors. This doesn't add too much to the gameplay, just a slight variation on how the resources come out. The art is beautiful on these though. I don't know if almost $2 per tile is worth it, but it's up to you.

I'm not a huge fan of the promo art pieces(giving so MANY tickets or ZERO tickets can mess with the flow). i do love the fluff upgrades (clear cubes and such)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.