Hide
10 Posts

Potion Explosion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Triggering end games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James A
msg tools
Playing a 2 player game by myself to learn. Was wondering all the ways to trigger getting the tokens. It states at least 3 of a kind or 5 unique. Lets say i get 5 unique. Thats it, i can never do 5 unique ever again because there are only six unique kinds. Unless its 5 sets of unique? But i doubt it. So lets say i do a set of 5 unique and a set of 3 of a kind. From here, all i can do is produce another set of 3 of a kind, or wait for the 2nd player to get the last two tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, you are right. Only one set of five unique. Then you can have one set of three of a kind from each group.

The question I've been wondering is can you use potions from your five unique to make up your three of a kind? So that one potion is part of both sets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can use a single potion for both conditions.

It's better to think of these rewards as "achievements." They are not something you "cash in" the potions to get.

You get one bonus token for having brewed five different kinds of potions. You can only get this once, because the condition is already fulfilled at this point; you have achieved the goal.

You can also get a bonus token for each potion type once you have brewed three of them. Again, it's an achievement for completing three, so you can't get it again by completing six.

In all, it is theoretically possible to earn 7 bonuses: one for five kinds, and six for the different 3-of-a-kinds. This would only be possible in a 4-player game, and only if no other player receives a bonus until the final round, because otherwise the end game would be triggered before you were able to complete this feat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James A
msg tools
Ok so I cant do 6 purple potions for two tokens? Cuz the rules made that confusing. It said something like "in the unlikely circumstance that you brew 6 of the same potion, you still only get one token." Does this mean you never get a token after your first 3 of a kind of a single potion? Or it it clarifying that, for example, 3 purples=one token, second set of 3 purples=1 token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow now you got me confused.

1. Can't I do 2 sets of 5 unique potions (10 potions created)?

2. I might have read incorrectly but imagine I have 1 set of 5 unique potions. Can I use one this potions to build a 3 of a kind? So if I have the 5 unique I only have to create 2 potions to get a 3 of a kind?

Thanks for the answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balrogas wrote:
Wow now you got me confused.

1. Can't I do 2 sets of 5 unique potions (10 potions created)?

2. I might have read incorrectly but imagine I have 1 set of 5 unique potions. Can I use one this potions to build a 3 of a kind? So if I have the 5 unique I only have to create 2 potions to get a 3 of a kind?

Thanks for the answer

No to your first question, yes to your second.
Jon Bob explained it perfectly, it's best to think of them as achievements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Pra'
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule is proving to be very difficult to understand. We already noticed that, and we will be making it clearer in the next revision of the rulebook. But I have to say that JonBob explained it perfectly (and it is exactly how we will explain it in the next version of the rules): think of them as achievements. Each achievement can only be obtained once, but each potion counts towards different achievements (5 different, and 3 of its kind).

When you obtain the "5 different kinds" achievement, you only need to brew 2 more of each one of them to obtain the "3 of a kind" bonus for each one of those kinds (the "5 different" potions are not "depleted" to obtain the achievement). At the same time, if you later brew a total of 6 of a kind, you don't gain a second token because you already obtained that "achievement".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification.

Now it is clear to me.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I recall the watch it played video being wrong then. I thought Rodney said that once it's used for a set, it doesn't count for any other set, so you'd have to make a whole new 3 of a kind after the 5 unique. Someone should let him know then because a lot of peoplelearn with his videos..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doma0997 wrote:
For some reason I recall the watch it played video being wrong then. I thought Rodney said that once it's used for a set, it doesn't count for any other set, so you'd have to make a whole new 3 of a kind after the 5 unique. Someone should let him know then because a lot of peoplelearn with his videos..

Yep. Since then he published a correction in another video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.