BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Is this idea crazy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Levine
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've been working on this design and it's coming along nicely, but I'm worried that the idea just sounds too goofy or silly.

Basically, it's a dice kicking game where you place dice on the floor and kick them onto different targets (also on the floor) to score points. (Naturally, it has a football/soccer theme.)

My big worry is the dice kicking, which is the core of the game. The idea was to do something really different but maybe it's too crazy? So far, everyone I've told about it said it sounded kinda stupid, but when they tried it, they liked it.

If anyone has a reaction to the idea of kicking dice one way or another, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The first question that comes to mind would be "Why Dice?" Does it have significance that the items you are kicking are dice instead of balls? Does the side the die lands on impact anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Big fuzzy rear-view mirror dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Muller
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it sounds good, the only problem I see is space issues (game and storage) which means you will be drastically reducing your potential market.

It would be interesting to see if the large dice could be marketed just by themselves as well. Everyone likes a big die
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Levine
United States
California
flag msg tools
The reason they are dice - the dice have different values on them, for example, some of them have three sides with 1, two sides with 2, and one side with 3 (there are also better dice you can get), so your kicks have to be both accurate and a little lucky. One of the choices in the game is whether to attack and defend or make substitutes and get better dice, so having dice also adds some choices that you have to make.

And the way you score is, there are a few different targets in the game, but the main targets are the two goal areas. If you have more points in the opponent's goal area than your opponent does, at the end of the round you score a goal. If it was balls or something else without different values on each side, then the person who was best at kicking would always win. They could always just kick all their dice into the opponent's goal area, and it would be boring.

Also, I should point out that right now I'm using small dice in a small play area so the dice don't need to be kicked hard or very far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Teneslav
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Maybe try and make it so that you kick it with your hands? People are better with their hands than their feet and also you can remove the space problem this way as you can play it on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crinaya wrote:
The first question that comes to mind would be "Why Dice?" Does it have significance that the items you are kicking are dice instead of balls? Does the side the die lands on impact anything?

Also ...

If played indoors or on a smooth surface outdoors, balls might follow gravity into the same floor/pavement imperfection. If a target needs a raised edge "cup", you might as well call it golf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Levine
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback and input. I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Heath-Renn
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
235689KA
badge
Content Generation For A New Generation
mbmbmbmbmb
With a sufficiently smooth floor and sufficiently dense dice (i.e. small plastic ones rather than big foam ones), wouldn't it be possible to kick them in such a way that they don't leave the floor and instead slide across it, thus having the same face up as that with which they started?

Admittedly I've not tried this but it doesn't seem entirely implausible. I'm at work so I'm not going to try right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thought after some sleep cycles ...

Polyhedral dice with more than 6 sides to do some bouncing (but not so many that they roll in near straight lines)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Payne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Rather than kicking dice on the floor. Could you adopt something more like Shove ha'penny? Maybe you could roll the dice first to get the value and then 'shove' it on the board towards specified targets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Levine
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the comments and suggestions! My feeling now is that most people probably wouldn't want to kick dice. When I made it, I was trying to think of something that was different and that hadn't been done before, but I've learned that if it's too strange (or kooky), most people won't want to play it.

Anyhow, thanks again to everyone for sharing their thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
twoeyedcyclops wrote:
So far, everyone I've told about it said it sounded kinda stupid, but when they tried it, they liked it.

Innovation in the form of crazy ideas is how we have ended up with the huge variety's of games we have today.

If people find the idea odd, but once they try it like it, you could be onto a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.