Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, so my friends and I just did two run-throughs of The Marcy Case and I have a few questions I'd like answered. Please just as concise of answers as possible without actually spoiling content. However, my questions will have spoilers for people who have not played the scenario yet, so beware...

1. We did two run-throughs and never encountered the streets. Is this normal? When we first laid them out, my initiate thought was we would have to encounter a Streets card each time we changed locations or something to that effect. But, as I said, we never touched them for ANY reason. Were we doing something wrong? Considering we got all the way to the end (but failed) the second time around, that means we could have beaten them game without ever using them. That seems odd...

2. Is there a reason "The River" is written in red on the plan/map, differently than the rest of the locations? We actually never went to the river during either run-through, so we haven't found out yet. I didn't know if we could go there like a normal location or if we had to meet some condition. I really wish it stated what made it different. Just having a different colored font is really confusing without clarification...

3. Noise was never a factor. At first, I thought noise would work kind of like in the video game Left For Dead, where it suddenly attracts a swarm of zombies to your location. But it never did anything at all, we just put tokens on there occasionally, but there was no pay off...

4. We failed the first run-through due to running out of TU, so we got the yellow state token. The second time we failed, it was because we put the wrong girl in the helicopter. That card said "reset the game," but it DIDN'T specify that we keep the yellow state token or that we get to start wherever we want this time. The latter isn't as important to me, but not having the yellow state token is, since it seems weird that this punishment went away. One of the failure cards has the symbol for running out of TU AND a yellow state token on it, which I assume means that if you fail for TU a SECOND time, you draw that card... but... we don't have that token anymore. Or... should we have it...? It wasn't clear...

I'd really appreciate some clarification, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A Few Marcy Case Questions (No Spoilers if possible!)
You might want to put a big spoiler tag on this post. Your questions are spoilers for those who haven't played the case.

1. Not normal. I've run the case 4 times (for others) and it always happened at least once. Did you miss the part about putting counters on Codex 1?

2. Yes. Moving AWAY from a red location costs 2 extra TU. Commonly missed rule from the main rulebook

3. See Q1. Maybe you missed what happens when there is 5 noise tokens.

4. The yellow token doesn't seem to matter that much here, so it doesn't really matter, but you are probably right that you should have kept the token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to No. 4:

At that point, we thought the card told us "You lost, better luck next scenario" and we basically finished the Marcy case, but with a loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dowhilefor wrote:
Just to add to No. 4:

At that point, we thought the card told us "You lost, better luck next scenario" and we basically finished the Marcy case, but with a loss.
Well, one group I ran it for did stop there, because it was A or B. They picked A and got it wrong. Didn't feel the need to reply it just for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes we put them on the codex 1 spot, but then after that nothing referenced Codex one.

2. Doh! Just read that. There were NO red locations in Asylum so I didn't realize that it was a common rule, I thought it was special to this case.

3. Where is the rule about 5 noise tokens listed?

4. As far as I can tell there's nothing that indicates that getting the wrong girl on your first try means you can't do another run. I'm still not clear if we should keep the yellow state token or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reread the red failure card, and you absolute should do another run. I don't know why the people you mentioned thought they just failed and that was it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
I don't know why the people you mentioned thought they just failed and that was it.
Because if they played through it again, they knew exactly where to go, what to do, and who was the correct one. There was just no need to spend time playing it out. I was running the game for them.

I cant remember where the rule is about the counters on codex 1, but its definitely there somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked at all the base location cards and the icon reference and there was nothing about 5 noise counters triggering anything

Regarding not playing again because they knew who the right girl was...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
My group still doesn't know. There are at least 2 other girls it could be and we never went to the river or forest, so there may be even more. We tried to make note of what the colors on the DNA decoder was after seeing it, but the blue lines at the top of each girl's card wasn't something we were really paying attention prior to failing the mission, so we have to rescue the girls again and see which one matches the sequence on the decoder, best we can remember it anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats what I'm saying. If you DONT know, then yes, keep playing. But the last group I ran it for - it was either A or B. They picked wrong, so they then knew which one it actually was.

As for the noise counters. Have you read ITEM 30? You are supposed to place ITEM 30 on Codex one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to re-read Base cards D & E and then read Item 30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
My group still doesn't know. There are at least 2 other girls it could be and we never went to the river or forest, so there may be even more. We tried to make note of what the colors on the DNA decoder was after seeing it, but the blue lines at the top of each girl's card wasn't something we were really paying attention prior to failing the mission, so we have to rescue the girls again and see which one matches the sequence on the decoder, best we can remember it anyway...

Trying to do it by matching that is cheating anyway. There are actual clues in the game that allow you to work it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crycrycry

I dunno how this happemed, but when we setup, we put the wrong item on codex 1. I'm not sure how this happened, but we put the back pack with 3 expired med packs on codex 1 I stead of item 30. I thought that was a weird thing to start with, but didn't question it much...

Crap...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were red locations in Asylum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right! I forgot.

I wish I could jump in a Caisson, go back in time, and save my play group from making these mistakes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could create your own scenario in which that is the objective. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.