Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Sci-fi horror games in the vein of Alien? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Braden Adam
msg tools
My wife and I are huge horror nuts, and in that genre we often gravitate towards sci-fi horror stuff. So of course, we're obsessed with Alien.

Any game recommendations in this vein?

One we're intrigued by is Theseus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Intruder is the first thing that comes to mind - reimplemented as Hidden Intruder a few years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Adam
msg tools
caracfergus wrote:
Intruder is the first thing that comes to mind - reimplemented as Hidden Intruder a few years ago.

That looks fantastic! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk (third edition). Or 4th edition from 2014, theyre prett much the same. Awesome game, outrageously thematic, moving and turning around as a hulking space marine terminator while quick tyranid genestealers chase you down and can turn on a dime!

It's really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mkaup366 wrote:

This basically is Alien - the boardgame - without the license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Alien - the boardgame - with the license:

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game

whistle

I can also recommend Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game which feels a lot like Aliens.

Cheers!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisSmith4773 wrote:

I can also recommend Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game which feels a lot like Aliens.

Chris

Specifically, the part of Aliens where the scanner is showing lots of aliens approaching. Beep, beep, beep. Where are they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
+1.
This is one of the few games that's actually similar to 'Alien' (1979).

The Thing is another cool Print & Play with a very similar theme.

If you are looking for other games that create a mood similar to the first Alien movie, I'd look for hidden movement and/or traitor mechanics, e.g. Nexus Ops or Battlestar Galactica.

It seems most (all?) of the other recommnedations are for games that are similar to 'Aliens' (1986), i.e. the second installment of the movie franchise.

I.e. these are typically skirmish boardgames where players fight hordes of aliens, something like Galaxy Defenders or perhaps Space Cadets: Away Missions (although that's probably too light-hearted for an 'Aliens' fan).
There's plenty of other good titles for that kind of thing, e.g. Gears of War: The Board Game, DOOM: The Board Game, Claustrophobia, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:

+1

The hidden movements of this game makes you keep wondering where your opponents are (and when you know it's too late...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is the classic The Awful Green Things From Outer Space which was obviously inspired by Alien. But it has a rather whimsical sense of humor which is not very horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Project: ELITE feels like the second movie Aliens with all the USCMs fighting in the hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Level 7- Omega Protocol
might fight the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Lister
United Kingdom
Southport
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
[q="caracfergus"]
If you are looking for other games that create a mood similar to the first Alien movie, I'd look for hidden movement and/or traitor mechanics, e.g. Nexus Ops or Battlestar Galactica.

Nexus Ops? Really? I've never played it personally but didn't realise it had hidden movement and/or traitor mechanics involved.
Don't want to derail the thread at all, just wanted to try to clarify things for the OP.
Were you perhaps thinking of Specter Ops? There's a clear similarity in the title. It's not particularly Alien themed, more Blade Runner if anything, but it is a very good game. (To be fair though, now I think about it that would be an awesome way to implement an Alien themed board game - excellent idea!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game

+10 Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
Maybe you do not know, but a fan created an aliens re-skin re-creating all the cards with pictures from the movie. He did not post the files on BGG, but if you write him I guess he might send them to you by personal mail. Nothing illegal in this since you still need to buy the original game to play the mod.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the obvious:
- Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins (The recently released 2.0 version of the rules fix almost all the problems the game had)
- Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
there have been many games directly inspired by the Aliens movie.

The most obvious one is Space Hulk (fourth edition). The original Space Hulk (which changed little overall between it's editions) was a direct copy in theme and execution of the movie "Aliens". Motion tracker and all...
(Along with the card game inspired by Space Hulk: Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game)

Following this train of though, the Tyrannid faction in everything set in the Warhammer 40K also qualify as "Alien games" as they are pretty much a mock-up of H.R. Giger's Alien creatures. So you'd have them in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest – The Great Devourer (expansion for Warhammer Conquest), in Relic and Tyranid Attack (if you fancy shooting your way through an alien hive), amongst other examples.

Outside this, a lot of tactical corridor shooters like Level 7 [Omega Protocol].

XenoShyft: Onslaught is also one, though i link that one much more to Starship Troopers than Aliens.

However i'm still waiting for the Alien Isolation boardgame equivalent. Boardgames, much like the older videogames, tend to focus on the second Aliens movie. Isolation was awesome because it was based on the original Alien movie.
A game based around a single alien hunting you down... that has the potential to be an awesome and very unique boardgame. Some kind of reversed Fury of Dracula perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with all the Intruder suggestions and best of all you can find Intruder files online to build the game for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Adam
msg tools
Wow there are some incredible sounding recommendations here.

Thanks everyone!

Or maybe not, because my Amazon wish list just jumped up over $1000

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Endure the Stars or Martians!!!(stretching a bit)

There's also the successor to Intruder, Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident for more of an Aliens vs. Alien experience.

Not horror-ful, but I do like Space Cadets: Away Missions as well as Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disco Stupac wrote:
Nexus Ops? Really? I've never played it personally but didn't realise it had hidden movement and/or traitor mechanics involved.
Don't want to derail the thread at all, just wanted to try to clarify things for the OP.
Were you perhaps thinking of Specter Ops? There's a clear similarity in the title.
Yup, thanks for the correction. I mixed up the games, sorry for any confusion caused!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Space Hulk and Level 7: Omega Protocol were already mentioned. I'll second those. Excellent theme and tension.

Sedition Wars had promise, but had poor execution. I'm told the 2nd printing fixed problems, but I've not played it yet.

The Space Hulk: Death Angel card game is also very good, so an upvote on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.