Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Need a age of sail game like WS&IM or Flying Colors, but actually available rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All -

I'd sure like to find a good age of sail game, but Wooden Ships and Iron Men as well as Flying Colors are both out of print. Can anybody recommend a good alternative? I'm looking for a true wargame if possible, not just a generic sailing ship game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
SJAirshark wrote:
Hello All -

I'd sure like to find a good age of sail game, but Wooden Ships and Iron Men as well as Flying Colors are both out of print. Can anybody recommend a good alternative? I'm looking for a true wargame if possible, not just a generic sailing ship game.

They may be out of print, but you can still acquire them both here and on e-bay. There are four copies of FC from the US in the BGG market right now, and plenty of WS&IM on its market page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Flelli
Australia
Lithgow
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Close Action published by Clash of Arms.
A derivative of Wooden Ships & Iron Men and still available as far as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check out "1805:Sea of Glory."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
SJAirshark wrote:
Hello All -

They may be out of print, but you can still acquire them both here and on e-bay. There are four copies of FC from the US in the BGG market right now, and plenty of WS&IM on its market page.

Very pricey, tho. The 2nd edition with the thicker counters and heavier box is $200 ask. I have a trade request in, but I thought I might be missing another good choice. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
winheath wrote:

Thanks, but that's operational, not tactical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJAirshark wrote:
winheath wrote:

Thanks, but that's operational, not tactical.

Well, a game sometimes described as a competitor to WSIM is the SPI game "Fighting Sail" which can be picked up for a few $ on BGG. I see there are copies of FS and Close Action available now on ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
lflelli wrote:
Close Action published by Clash of Arms.
A derivative of Wooden Ships & Iron Men and still available as far as I know.

Close Action is very similar to WS&IM, but with more chrome. I think that it's turned off a few people that I've tried to play it with that are playing for the first time because of the downtime to actual moving/fighting ratio. A lot of that is probably attributable to it being a learning game.

Where it shines is in team actions, because there are specific rules for communicating between ships/players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mb
Blue Cross, White Ensign, #3 in the Flying colors series, is a complete game in its own right. It does the Russian-Swedish wars.

I would advise against close action; it works, but barely and only with a very limited number of ships aside.

What you could do is getting the PDF rulebook and CRTs for wooden ships and iron men, and buy 1:2400 scale miniatures and a generic hex map.

NB Fanen (in Germany) still has a copy of the Flying Colors reprint. It costs 90 euros, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Close Action is the one to go to, it is available and by far the best and most historical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avdtweel wrote:
Blue Cross, White Ensign, #3 in the Flying colors series, is a complete game in its own right. It does the Russian-Swedish wars.

I would advise against close action; it works, but barely and only with a very limited number of ships aside.

What you could do is getting the PDF rulebook and CRTs for wooden ships and iron men, and buy 1:2400 scale miniatures and a generic hex map.

NB Fanen (in Germany) still has a copy of the Flying Colors reprint. It costs 90 euros, however.

Antonie, you make an excellent point about miniatures. On cost and size grounds, however, I prefer Tumbling Dice 1:4800 models. You can get a Trafalgar pack of 80 ships for £65 for example. Here is a review of the models with photos etc.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying Colors (NIS) $75

http://www.enterprisegames.com/index.php/games/board-games/f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mb
Kevin, thanks for the tip. I could only find Magister Militum as a source of small miniatures in Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies and… Read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJAirshark wrote:
Hello All -

I'd pick up the cheapest complete copy of Wooden Ships & Iron Men that you can find. Don't worry too much about its appearance. It's a fairly bare-bones game even by 70's standards, but playability and detail are still high even by today's standards. You can pimp it out later however you like.

Have you investigated Sails of Glory? I think it's plenty 'wargame'. Especially under its most advanced rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Sleight
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Close Action is the way to go. I have played this game with miniatures, with the author, at game conventions in the USA and it is a great game. As far as miniature ships, there is a company in England that does really good 1/1200 scale, but I can't remember the name (I would have to look it up this weekend).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattusilis_III wrote:

And they also have 8 listing for Wooden ships and Iron Men as well ranging from $10-$85.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. SCHMITT
France
Alsace
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
there is a company in England that does really good 1/1200 scale, but I can't remember the name (I would have to look it up this weekend).

Langton miniatures ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Basil Hilder KIA Lone Pine, Gallipoli
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one for Close Action. Great game. I play with 1/3000 navwar minis on the hex map with the game. Plays really well and pretty simple really. I have played 2 player up to 10 player all without problem.

Good luck with the hunt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
No one can defeat the quad laser. Now, where shall I drape this wet, primitive Earth towel?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with advtweel above on this...Blue Cross, White Ensign uses the same rule set as Flying Colors, hence it too is a fleet action game, and the armaments are terrific additions to the FC series. You could see if you like the scale/rule set and then know if you want to spend the $$ for an OOP copy of Flying Colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another recommendation for Close Action. The key to keeping it going at a good pace is to play with few ships/player, like maybe one or two. There are quite a few one-on-one scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Sleight
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
santino el cato wrote:
Quote:
there is a company in England that does really good 1/1200 scale, but I can't remember the name (I would have to look it up this weekend).

Langton miniatures ?

Yes - thank you - Langton Miniatures. I have a number of those in 1/1200 and they are very good. If you take the time to rig them they stand up very well to being knocked on the floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I want to dig out my WS&IM and get it back on the table. I also need to check my FLGS & see if their dusty copy of FC is still languishing on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
Now I want to dig out my WS&IM and get it back on the table. I also need to check my FLGS & see if their dusty copy of FC is still languishing on the shelf.

and Bust out your Patrick O'Brian and read some of the Master and Commander series....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Yes, that too. I need to acquire more of the series--I'm lagging & only have gotten through the first four. However, I did read the entire Hornblower series way back when; I ought to bust those out & give them to my son. ninjawhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Donovan
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Frigate?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5862/frigate

I know it too is OOP, but it's available cheaply here on bgg. I've not played it, so I can't offer an opinion myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.