Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mourounas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MINOR SPOILERS BELOW

Hi guys, I have a quick question about the transition from Narrative phase to Node Resolution phase in Tall Tales.

Narrative phase checks the prerequisites of the relevant story Chapter/Section, and resolves any section for which the prereqs have been met. Then we move on to Node Resolution, which is easy enough to understand.

The issue I ran into in Chapter 1 (minor spoilers ahead) came through a thematically 'clunky' transition from Narrative phase to Node Res phase, specifically regarding the Lone Titan narrative part. The end of this narrative section has the Grimslinger(s) walking away from the Titan as its babbling disappears behind them.

Switching then to Node Resolution phase, the Grimslinger(s) are still on the Lone Titan node, and thus must resolve this Landmark, thereby striking up a new conversation with the babbling Titan they had just walked away from.

Now, I'm known for missing a key bit of rule every now and then. Have I done that here? Or is this just an isolated 'hiccup' in a thematically rich and mechanically tight campaign?

Thanks!
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cali _Gozer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the Node phase you are resolving the specific node, not the objective from the previous part in the chapter. So no need to strike up another conversation.

If you take a look at the Map, you'll see that the location tells you to look at page 21. Read that, and whatever is says (won't give spoilers) you'll resolve and that will be the end of the Node Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mourounas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apologies, I think in my efforts to keep the OP as spoiler-free as possible, it became a bit muddled. Specifically,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
at the end of Capter 1 Part 3, it reads 'Without saying another word you storm off towards the King's Alter. You can hear the Titan still babbling on in the distance'.

Now the narrative phase ends, and node resolution begins. Page 21 lists three potential 'trade' actions the player may choose when resolving the node.

I think I simply found the image of our characters storming off, and then returning to trade, a little jarring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeymo777 wrote:
Apologies, I think in my efforts to keep the OP as spoiler-free as possible, it became a bit muddled. Specifically,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
at the end of Capter 1 Part 3, it reads 'Without saying another word you storm off towards the King's Alter. You can hear the Titan still babbling on in the distance'.

Now the narrative phase ends, and node resolution begins. Page 21 lists three potential 'trade' actions the player may choose when resolving the node.

I think I simply found the image of our characters storming off, and then returning to trade, a little jarring.

Yes, that's a hiccup! Most folks just don't resolve the node at that point I've found, but you CAN if you wanted to based on the rules.

So, I apologize for the immersion breaking problem there but it shooooullld be the only one in the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mourounas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey no worries! Tall Tales has been a big hit at our house, can't wait to run through the next chapter.

Best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeymo777 wrote:
Hey no worries! Tall Tales has been a big hit at our house, can't wait to run through the next chapter.

Best

Happy to hear it!

Don't hesitate to post questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.