Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
Probably something similar has been suggested already.

I am suggesting a new BGG historical top 100.

For each week in the top 100 on BGG game rankings, each game gets points relative to its position.

#1 position = 100 points
#2 postion = 99 points
and so on

So this would favor older games that have spent more time in the ratings, but newer games, like Pandemic Legacy would slowly climb the ranks. It would continue to shine a light on games like Ticket to Ride, which has fallen out of the top 100, and give some historical perspective.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting for stats lovers and I would definately check it out, but i don't think wit will be really usefull.

A graph with ranking over time would tell a little bit more. But ultimately this too is more interesting for stats lovers than the regular user.

the reason why it is not so usefull is that games are becoming better and better.

Some old time favourites would show up but these are likely out of print and/or improved upon by their newer incarnations.
And this would show in the current rankings.
If you could list the top 500 by date. You probably will get similar info.

For example : Through the ages : a story of civilization will be higher ranked than Through the ages : a new story of civilisation.
The first incarnation has a head start of 8 years and is still scoring a lot of poins. I really can't see the seond version overtake the first one because of that.
The ticket to ride series, Betrayal, Fury of dracula , mansions , arkham horror and eldritch horror. And what to say about Agricola, Agricola family edition , agricola expert edition and Caverna.

But again. I would check those stats.

What I would like to see to check most games out. Is the ability to sort the database by gameid number.
Again more a stats thing. But it would be usefull since if I do the reversed listing of that I would see the games that entered the database recently. And there are a whole lot more interesting games added than just those that appear in the hotness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selamat pagi,
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
If we could extend this back in time past the arbitrary cutoff of BGG's creation, then Go, Chess, Backgammon, Pinochle, Monopoly and such would hog the top spots forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.