Matt Boniface
United States
Melbourne
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Morning,

I'm curious if it's possible to play Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game along with Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing (and that being said, also Star Trek: Attack Wing). The games feel very similar in play style, their all made by the same company with similar rule sets (just difference jargon between them).

Has anyone tried this? Are there variant rules for it? Was it successful?

I'm fairly new to both games but have the starter box of both x-wing and D&D (along with a couple D&D ground troops).

----
I scanned through a few pages of the Variants thread here and saw nothing related to my question. I apologize in advance if there is another post about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres K
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, X-Wing is not made by WizKids. As far as I know, it's WizKids who borrowed the FlightPath system from FFG.
I am not sure about Star Trek, but I know in D&D you can not measure for range before you choose a target (unless they changed it - I played about a year ago) and your attack can fail. I think the damage is also dealt differently - there was an armor rating and crits worked differently.

I have some doubt it will work. Also, I think StarTrek has much more regen, than X-wing, no? Also, actions should be unified to match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanically it could work: there are only minor differences in the rules, that could be resolved as your playgroup decides. Balance-wise, it wouldn't: X-Wing is too dependent on keeping attack dice in a tight range for transplants from the WizKids games to work out. But it would make for some fun games while you tried to figure out how to balance it outside the point system.

(I remember cross-over games being mentioned on one of the Star Trek forums, but not when or which one.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would not work. Star Trek ship stats are way off the chart for X-Wing ships.

Also, X-Wing is made by FFG. The other 2 is made by WizKid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, mechanically it can be done. Here's proof of that:

There are rules differences that you'd probably need to resolve ahead of time, or just agree to play them differently on the different sides (e.g., cloaking is vastly different in X-Wing and Attack Wing).

Balance-wise, I doubt it would work. In a typical Attack Wing ship, you'll have a ton more upgrades than a typical X-Wing ship. Beyond that, the attacks, evades, hull, and shield values are not in perfect sync for the point costs. My sense (though I have limited Attack Wing expertise) is that the balance is tipped in favor of Attack Wing. You could have different allowed point totals for Attack Wing and X-Wing, but I wouldn't know what those might be.

So it can be done, and it might even be fun. Though it might be a relatively one-sided match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It ought to be one sided as you are comparing 1-2 crewed fighters to capital ships carrying hundreds if not thousands of crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.