6 Posts

Axis & Allies: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is the Amphibious assault example #2 on p.14 in rulebook wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the example in the rules Germany loads 2 infantry from northern-Italy before moving the transport into central mediterranian along with a sub and a battleship. In central mediterraninan England has a destroyer so a naval battle happens.
In the example Germany wins the naval battle and continues to unload troops into Libya!?
The rules under Amphibious Assault p.13 say that a transport that has been in combat can only load or unload troops but not both! Since the transport in the example has already loaded troops from Italy wouldn't he have to wait until next turn to unload?!

Any help would be much appreciated as I currently have no clue as to when transports are considered to have been in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider it to mean that it cannot load & unload after combat. Seeing as that your transport was loaded before the naval battle, it can then unload as part of the amphibious operation, but not then re-load units. Likewise, if it was an empty transport, after a naval battle, said transport could load troops, but not then unload them in the same turn because it was in combat. It is all about when the combat takes place, if it happens after loading units onto a transport, it can then unload after combat, but not both load and unload after combat.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redblackmonkey wrote:
I consider it to mean that it cannot load & unload after combat. Seeing as that your transport was loaded before the naval battle, it can then unload as part of the amphibious operation, but not then re-load units. Likewise, if it was an empty transport, after a naval battle, said transport could load troops, but not then unload them in the same turn because it was in combat. It is all about when the combat takes place, if it happens after loading units onto a transport, it can then unload after combat, but not both load and unload after combat.

Hope that helps

Yes that helps, thanks.
Had this since 1999 but haven't played it in what seems lika a lifetime.

Another thing regarding transports, if you're not doing an amphibious assault, can you only load units and move the transport during combat movement? Then later in the non-combat movement you get to unload the troops and then possibly reload it with troops again (provided it hasn't been in combat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
redblackmonkey wrote:

Hope that helps

Yes that helps, thanks.
Had this since 1999 but haven't played it in what seems lika a lifetime.

Another thing regarding transports, if you're not doing an amphibious assault, can you only load units and move the transport during combat movement? Then later in the non-combat movement you get to unload the troops and then possibly reload it with troops again (provided it hasn't been in combat).

Any move that would end directly resulting in a combat situation must be done in the combat move phase, so if you are landing units to a friendly territory that is done in non combat. I am less sure about the unloading then loading units in non combat, but I think once a transport has unloaded in non combat it is done. It could load and then unload in the next turn's combat phase or non-combat phase but not both phases. Double check the rules on the non combat transport situation. It also depends if the target of an amphibious assault is further than the movement distance of the transport. Then units would load and move in non combat one turn, then move and unload after any naval battle in combat phase of the next turn. Axisandallies.org might have related threads. Worth searching there as well. I may also be getting a couple details crossed from other versions of the game, but I think that is pretty close. I know it can get confusing, hopefully I didn't make it worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will have a look at the place you mentioned.
I find the rules a little confusing with regards to the transports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

It's a case of some poorly worded rules.
A transport may load and unload during any turn--whether it engages in combat or not. (If the transport is present in a zone where combat takes place, the transport is considered to have engaged in combat-whether or not the transport fires.)
It may pick up two units from two different locations and unload them all into any one location--as long as the transport does not move more than 2 zones in the process.

After combat, a transport may unload units or it may load units, but not both (pg 28). So if it must engage in combat to clear a zone to conduct an amphibious assault, then it may still unload those units to conduct the assault. However, suppose those units were already on the transport. It has a battle, unloads its units, but hasn't loaded anything yet this turn. According to the above, it is entitled to load as well, however after a battle it may only conduct one of "load" or "unload", and so may not now load any units.

Note that unloading into an enemy territory--whether occupied or not--constitutes a combat move, and so would need to be moved during the combat move phase, and not the non-combat move phase.

edit:
to add the other possibility you mentioned.
If a transport begins loaded, it may unload (in a combat phase or non-combat phase) and then load again afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.