$5.00
$15.00
$30.00
$20.00
Armando Cardoso
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Hello. Looking on ideas or thoughts on how to finish my miniature bases with a soft like rubber bottom pad. I remember having this chess game and all the pieces had like a clear silicon rubber like stuff on the bottom my idea is that. After adding the pennies to the bottom of the base for weight there is a space that i would like to fill up so to get a flat flush bottom. i wanted to fill up the bottom with a clear sealing silicon sort of encasing the penny on the bottom of the base. i dont want to do resin cause it hardens and i want to get that nice soft bottom my chess pieces had. Like a clear bouncy ball. Any ideas. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are going to laugh mate.

Glue-gun.

Fill them with glue, levelthem, and you are done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot glue or hot glue with a felt bottom

Or you can get a low melting point rubber type mixture (similar to epoxy but doesn't dry as hard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Furniture pads. usually come in 1-inch sizes, so should fit on a 25mm round base. Rubber, plastic or felt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
Besides hot glue, you could try Clear Plasti-Dip. Its the same stuff that is used for rubberized grips for hand tools, and might give you the "rubber" like quality you're looking for.

Glue would be much cheaper though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting project - using any type of liquid may or may not give you a smooth, level bottom, depending on how it dries. Couple thoughts:

Maybe cap the glue with a piece of felt? That would give a more level surface, while maintaining the chessboard-like appearance.

Silicone caulk? Fill them, scrape off the excess with a putty knife.

You should be able to get silicone rubber sheets at someplace like Grainger. The stuff cuts easily and with a bit of practice accurately with some snips or an exacto, and is available with an adhesive backing. I don't know how many mini's you are talking about, so no idea about $$$.

Good luck; post some finished pics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about painting on a thin layer of rubber cement and letting it dry upside down to make it level? It w9ould not take much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Cardoso
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Hey guys, thank you all for the replies. So yes I was thinking a few of the options you guys have mentioned. either clear plasti dip, but not sure on the finish. Also was thinking either a crystal clear silicon sealant it would give a nice rubbery clear finish Or clear resin but it hardens up and I just dont want to end up with a scratch board. Also One of the things im looking at here is that you are able to see the penny. I will clean and polish them. I also have a bunch of arcade tokens that would look really nice on the bottom of the minis and it would be nice to be able to show that. also it will be an extra layer so the penny wont fall off. Ive had a heroquest and battle masters since they came out but never really cared about painting them. I recently find out about zombicide and after sern some of the videos on how they look painted i just had this feeling i had to get it paint it and play it. Im just a big zombie fan. But now i want to upgrade all of my minis. So i got a bunch of spares to practice first and make decissions for the real deal. I will be starting in 2 weeks from today i will be upgrading zombicide seasons 1+2+3+4 with most expansions. Plus heroquest and battle masters. So got all fall and winter covered. Lol. will be posting pics eventually. In the meantime please all advice procedures and ideas for soft clear bottom are greatly appreciated. Or any other advice. Also ideas on 3d terrain and walls for zombicide or heroquest. Thank you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Cardoso
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Hey guys. I finally got the time to do this. It gave me the finish and fe i was looking for.

Steps i took for this.

First clean all minis with soapy water.
Clean all pennys in a salt/vinager mix.
(i choose pennies that where allready nice and bright for this) dont leave pennies in the vinager to long as they will get dull at one point. Count to ten take then out. Rinse in water.

Second. After all minis are clean and dry. Prime them. It could take up to 3 coats to get a good even coat. Once they are dry i mounted them in this cardboard i made. I can fit 36 minis at once for base coating.

After i mounted the minis on this board i filed the bottom of the base and the side of the coin that i wanted to adhere to the minis. I used this board cause i can file many bases in a fast easy way. However making the board was a pain in the ....
Once everything has been filed down. Used a drop of crazy glue to adhere both bases and coins.

Third. Once the glue is dry and you have a nice strong bond. We are going to apply the silicon.
I used a clear translucent contractors silicon scs 1000. It is 100% silicon it guves a great rubbery finish it has a +/-25% movement. Applied with a spreader make sure you fill in all the holes. And make wure everything is nice and flat and even. Make sure pennies are covered under a layer of silicon. Dont wait for the silicon to dry. Remove the minis and with the tip of your fingers round the edges by making a circular taping motion. Let it cure on its side. Once ready they will look like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Cardoso
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
I know a lot of people might say why do all this why go through the trouble. Well here is a small list why.
After adding weight to your minis. The metal will make a more dry sound wend drop on the board it will tend to fall easier. Slide over the board. Even scratch your board. Now with this silicon finish. The minis kinda bounce a little when drop on the board it gives a nicer softer sound. The rubbery.bottom will help stabilize the mini even more. And the best it wont slide or scrtch your board. So it is worth the trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Cardoso
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Here is a video i made.

https://youtu.be/wTqg78JzoRI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ringo Stalin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm late to the party but I've heard good things about Sugru (but I haven't used it myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Cardoso
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Ringo_Stalin wrote:
I'm late to the party but I've heard good things about Sugru (but I haven't used it myself).

It seems that it keeps sticking to things once cured. Not sure u want to have something that is malleable once cured and that sticks to things. Weeks from now the bottom is gonna be full of hairs ans debri and anything else it landes on. But thanks this could be helpful for other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.