$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Stefan Van der Meulen
Belgium
Bornem
flag msg tools
We played a 2 player game Knight versus Cave. One way or another the Cave managed to expand in one direction, while the knight was exploring in the other. This allowed the cave to place a lot of treasure tokens out of reach of the knight. By the time the knight reacted on this, the cave was so powerful, that on every turn she was able to sent the knight back to an enclosed tile, and block it with a rockslide. So the knight didn't stand a chance...
Apart from the fact that the knight probably didn't play to well, some cave-related questions:

- Is it correct that as long a the cave has the corresponding omen tokens, she can repeatedly use the same action on a player, e.g. using giant bat 2 or 3 times (or more) on the knight (effectively throwing her back up to 9 spaces or more)?
- What happens with a rockslide that is bombed? Does it return to the cave? I.e. the cave will never run out of rockslides to place/move?
- What happens if the knight bombed a rock-slide, and the cave places a rockslide on the exact same place again - is the bombtoken returned to the knight? Or is it removed from the game?

In this 2-player game, the cave seemed to be in a very powerful position...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StefVdM wrote:
- Is it correct that as long a the cave has the corresponding omen tokens, she can repeatedly use the same action on a player, e.g. using giant bat 2 or 3 times (or more) on the knight (effectively throwing her back up to 9 spaces or more)?
Yes, that is correct.

StefVdM wrote:
- What happens with a rockslide that is bombed? Does it return to the cave? I.e. the cave will never run out of rockslides to place/move?
It is returned to the cave.
StefVdM wrote:
- What happens if the knight bombed a rock-slide, and the cave places a rockslide on the exact same place again - is the bombtoken returned to the knight? Or is it removed from the game?
The bomb token is not returned to the Knight. However, the Knight can use Ancient Map to get through a rockslide just like any other wall (3 times per turn if they spend 3 cubes on it). I don't know that I've ever actually used a bomb to destroy a wall (the difference between Bomb and Ancient Map is that Bomb is "permanent" and keeps the wall open, and allows placement of a Dark tile (since it can create an "open edge"). Ancient Map would likely be preferred, since the Cave can't shove the Knight through a wall passed with Ancient Map, but could push a Knight through a Destroyed wall, which I'm guessing is what happened in your game.

StefVdM wrote:
In this 2-player game, the cave seemed to be in a very powerful position...
If the Knight was using Bombs (only) to get through Rockslides, then probably, since it let the Cave shove her back out and rebuild the Rockslide. If Ancient Map was used, that couldn't happen (the Cave would need to remove the Rockslide first, then push the Knight through, then rebuild the wall).

In Knight v Cave games, I could see walls actually helping the Knight (since they limit the effectiveness of "Giant Bats") and only require one cube to get through.

A cube left on Shield would also prevent the Cave from moving the Knight at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In your game were you playing that Ancient Map costs 1 Hero Token and can be done 3 times or 3 Hero Tokens and can be done 1 time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Van der Meulen
Belgium
Bornem
flag msg tools
Of course! Ancient Map! Unbelievable we didn't think about that...blush
Thank you for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StefVdM wrote:
Of course! Ancient Map! Unbelievable we didn't think about that...blush
Thank you for the answers!

No problem. I've found that in this game (as with many games), it's very important to use all of each player's abilities. Ignoring (or forgetting) an ability can lead to a very one-sided game.

Similarly, in games with many players, each player needs to be aware of all others instead of focusing on their singular goal. Each can affect the others to slow them down, so a balance of offense (gaining strength and pursuing goals) and defense (interfering with others) is almost required. A player with a balanced approach tends to easily win over those who are all defense or all offense.

While it really does take a few games playing each role to get a handle on all the complex options, I view these traits as evidence that the creators really did a good job with balancing the different roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.