Subject: Should I Get Dominion (Second Edition)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, obviously I'm thinking of picking up this new edition when it comes out, but I wanted to get other people's thoughts as to if I should even bother.

First, I do not own any of the original releases of Dominion or its expansions. I do, however, love deck-building games (check my collection) and only have 2 that are really similar - Tanto Cuore and Trains.

While I may have other games that do deck-building better, I played the first edition recently and enjoyed the simplicity. I know there are a lot of expansions, but I figure this could be a good time to start since it's practically a reset of the game (yes, I know that no huge changes are made, but I consider it a reset).

I know a lot of people complain about the theme and artwork, but it doesn't really bother me. The card backs are a little ugly, but whatever.

So I just wanted to get some thoughts. My friends enjoyed playing Dominion, but I'm not sure if what I already own scratches the same itch. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing beats Dominion. On the other hand, part of that reason is its variety of expansions-- the design space has been so much more fleshed out than that of Trains.

So, I wouldn't get JUST the new base set; you'll probably be bored after 5-10 games. But pick up Prosperity or Dark Ages along with it and you'll be hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first two hands of Dominion feel exactly like the first two hands of Marvel Legendary, the rest, nothing like.

I'm almost tempted to say you must buy Dominion 2nd Edition, but, the good thing about this game is that it's everywhere, you must know at least one person who's willing to play their copy with you. The learning curve is extremely shallow, especially with the base game.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the lack of theme, the game plays really smoothly and does exactly what it sets out to do no fiddly extra rules; just do what the cards say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about getting Dominion numerous times in the past, but ultimately always ended up passing on it. I have no regrets. The deck building games I have picked up since suit me a lot better as they have much more interaction between players.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't pick it up, especially if it is something you really enjoy; however, you should realize that if you are play Dominion, you won't be playing some other deck building game that you already own.

In the end, trust your instincts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like deckbuilding, I say go for it. To this day, I haven't found a deckbuilder that gave me the same joy. Tanto Cuore is indeed very similar, it felt more like a Dominion variant with cute artwork, but when I played Trains, I actually thought "why am I not playing Dominion instead?". The added board felt clunky, and I thought the game went on far too long.

As you correctly said, Dominion gets criticized for its non-existant theme and sometimes bland artwork, but as you already said that doesn't bother you, I see no reason not to get it. In terms of variety and strategic depth, it is absolutely amazing. Also, its conceptual purity just feels extremely elegant to me.
I also do agree that it gets better with expansions thrown in, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
I thought the game went on far too long.

First play was with the guy who owned it and two other Dominion vets who hadn't played. I have yet to have a faster first play of a game. If anything, I find Dominion goes too long with 2-players.

Personally, I would grab Intrigue instead as it gives you more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
matthean wrote:
Personally, I would grab Intrigue instead as it gives you more options.

Note that Intrigue, Second Edition is not a standalone expansion like its first edition was. You'll need the Dominion base game, or a set of base cards to play.

Error on my part for forgetting. Kind of an odd decision really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.