Subject: So the Guardian gave me a new board game column... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Duffy
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have seen that the Guardian has been running some tabletop gaming stuff by me and some similarly geeky writers. They've just given me a regular monthly column, which is rather good of them.

It'll feature three or four mini-reviews each month, and it's for quite a general audience, so it's not trying to be too detailed, but I hope you folks like it, and it's nice to have the chance to take gaming to a wider audience.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/sep/30/boarder...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on the new commission. Please add a "Why this game is better than Monopoly", section to every review. You know, for context.

EDIT: I agree, the UK expansion for TTR is brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice start (although none of those are for me). Glad to see a gaming column in mainstream media. Good luck with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Miller
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Congratulations Owen.
Next stop world domination
It this going to be online only or also appear in print?
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Duffy
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be online only as far as I know, but so are most of the readers these days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Owen, you should make this a subscription thread and post your new column here every time it's published.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Owen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Congratulations! Really looking forward to this - making this a subscription thread for your pieces is a great idea.

I've sent you a PM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you can get a good view of the breadth and depth of the hobby and don't just sick to TTR and Takenoko.

A review for Churchill or similar would be great, could be just the thing to catch a certain time of nerds imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Vainikka
Finland
Järvenpää
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, that is great to hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that you did different weights of games. Not sure if that was intentional, but that would be cool to see continued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Davenport
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ace.

two of those are already on Santa's list

Really looking forward to reading future columns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that column this morning and was quite impressed. Nice to see it's by a BGGer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I subscribe to this column? Can I like it in Facebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Duffy
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi dbucak, at the moment you can't follow individual columns I'm afraid, but I'll post on here when future editions come out if that would be helpful to folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be helpful, I'm subscribed to this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you don't make the mistake of trying to introduce the masses to games which they will never have an interest in.

Unless you are writing for an audience of boardgamers, keeping it to stuff that the everyday person might be able to get into - like Ticket to Ride, Escape, Scotland Yard etc. and this could be quite worthwhile to the readership.

Best wishes on the new writing endeavor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant news! Well done Owen, subscribed.

PS. Big job, don't mess it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
rdbret wrote:
I hope you don't make the mistake of trying to introduce the masses to games which they will never have an interest in.

Unless you are writing for an audience of boardgamers, keeping it to stuff that the everyday person might be able to get into - like Ticket to Ride, Escape, Scotland Yard etc. and you'll be fine.

That sounds awful to me. If you can read a broadsheet, you shouldn't *ONLY* be spoonfed gateway guff. Mostly, sure, but a few curveballs would be a boon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed - looking forward to keeping tabs on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
rdbret wrote:

Unless you are writing for an audience of boardgamers, keeping it to stuff that the everyday person might be able to get into - like Ticket to Ride, Escape, Scotland Yard etc. and you'll be fine.

That sounds awful to me. If you can read a broadsheet, you shouldn't *ONLY* be spoonfed gateway guff. Mostly, sure, but a few curveballs would be a boon.

Agreed, always good to challenge your audience a little, whatever the medium. And I would assume that Guardian readers are people who appreciate challenge. Just take a look at their cryptic crosswords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luckystreak wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
rdbret wrote:

Agreed, always good to challenge your audience a little, whatever the medium. And I would assume that Guardian readers are people who appreciate challenge. Just take a look at their cryptic crosswords.

A little... I can go with "a little". Settled then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a look at the earlier, and it looks like a solid mini-review format column. Subscribed here for notifications on future editions.

luckystreak wrote:
Just take a look at their cryptic crosswords.

My head hurts just thinking about doing so (But then, I haven't learnt how to 'read' cryptic crossword clues. And I'm really bad at anagrams)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdbret wrote:

Ah the internet. Always full of people that think they know better about the thing that you are doing than you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:
rdbret wrote:

Ah the internet. Always full of people that think they know better about the thing that you are doing than you do.

Its my opinion and my hope for the column. I never told Owen what to do or even dictated specifically that he "should" do anything. I do have my own take on the topic; which I expressed. And while you may disagree, that's what the forums are for -- dialogue and opinions. It's not like I'm rooting for him to fail.

So chill out with the snarkiness, Andy. Because I'm sure you never offered your own opinion of anything,ever, on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.