Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group and I managed to get TKA to the table in our last meet up. We had 2 newbies and 2 people who had played before. One of the new players chose Raphael and I got Eligor in my typical "I'm always choosing randomly!!" style. I had never played Eligor before so I was happy with my selection. The other two players chose Ember and Felicity.

After the first wave, I was feeling a little underwhelmed by my performance. We didn't have much trouble with the wave but I didn't feel like I was pulling my weight.

Eligor has an average attack option which I was able to use to decent effect. However, I struggled to get the best use out of his abilities. Two of his three special actions require him to be attacked, AND damaged, by a monster to activate them. This isn't as easy as you may think with a move rate of 6 and no ability to tank monsters. Many of the monsters have a movement of 8+. For countless rounds I watched monsters run by and end up 1 or 2 spaces out of reach. When I did finally manage to get something to attack me (once every 2 rounds usually), the dice had the last laugh, as the monster failed to beat my 12 dodge. No damage, no Counter Slash. No damage, no Sweet Revenge. Fail.

On the other side of the table. My Raphael friend was slowly learning how the game worked and how to play his chosen hero. He started off just pinging monsters here and there with Mind Blast. After watching me chase monsters around like a kid after the ice cream truck for a few rounds, he piped up and said "Can I just teleport you over there? Then you wouldn't have to spend an action moving and you could make more attacks". To which I replied, "Maybe! What does Teleport say?" Sure enough, he was right. This opened the door for all sorts of sweet teleport strategies. Not only could he teleport me to where I could make 4 attacks. He could teleport me to where monsters were going to be NEXT turn and essentially "force" them to attack me. Counter Slash and Sweet Revenge were about to get much more use. *queue jaws music*.

Nearing the end of one of the waves (only 1-2 monsters left on the board), Felicity was using extra actions (after using the mandatory thematic action against the monsters), to heal and Raphael was using his extra actions to cast Foresight to scout the next wave. *lightbulb moment* Wait. I can see what monsters are coming next and EXACTLY where they will end up after their first move? Neat. I'll just stand Eligor RIGHT HERE. Nothing quite like hitting an Orc War Mage for 1 with Counter Slash (on his turn), 10 with Sweet Revenge and another 1 with Sword Strike on my turn! Now.....I did quickly learn the downside of this strategy when Eligor took multiple attacks from level 4 and 5 monsters and got disintegrated on the first round of a future wave. Whoops again.

We ended up losing on wave 4 when Eligor died. *hangs head in shame* It should also be noted that between waves 3 and 4 we took 4 extra reward cards and spawned the boss on Wave 4 instead of 5. We had been playing for almost 4 hours and didn't have time to do the 5th and final wave so we opted to shorten by 1 wave.

Regardless of the long playtime, we had a blast. We could probably shorten it next time with the same players, but boy is it long. Has anyone else made changes to quicken the pace a little?

I did have a few questions. Mostly about Eligor and Raphael.

1. What is a Counter Attack?

I couldn't find anything in the rules about them. We played it that he gets to make 1 attack with his basic attack option. On one of Eligor's equipment cards it states that he gets a +4 bonus to hitroll instead of the usual -4 penalty when making a Counter Attack. I didn't use the -4 penalty on ANY of my Counter Attacks during the game. Whoops.

2. Can Eligor use Counter Slash vs ranged/supernatural attacks?

We said no.

3. Can Raphael teleport any ally within 6 spaces to any valid space on the board? Or does the target space have to be within his range of 6 as well?

We played so that the ally had to be within 6 to get targeted but could then be placed in any valid space on the board.

4. Is there a Line of Sight mechanic? If you are standing right next to a tower, can you "see" the monsters directly opposite (tower between you) if you have the range to reach them normally (counting around the tower)?

We counted range as normal around the tower. Ever see the movie Wanted? Just like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavarir wrote:

3. Can Raphael teleport any ally within 6 spaces to any valid space on the board? Or does the target space have to be within his range of 6 as well?

We played so that the ally had to be within 6 to get targeted but could then be placed in any valid space on the board.

4. Is there a Line of Sight mechanic? If you are standing right next to a tower, can you "see" the monsters directly opposite (tower between you) if you have the range to reach them normally (counting around the tower)?

We counted range as normal around the tower. Ever see the movie Wanted? Just like that!

We played Raphael like you did, he can teleport an ally within 6 spaces to anywhere on the board. I agree that the text is a bit confusing.

As for Line of Sight, we also did the same as you and counted spaces ignoring towers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First, thanks for sharing your awesome story. I don't hear many stories about Raphael, but when I do they're usually raving, so that was fun to hear. Good job putting war orcs to task just for showing up! : )

Xavarir wrote:
I did have a few questions. Mostly about Eligor and Raphael.

1. What is a Counter Attack?

Counter Attack is described here: http://www.gatekeepergaming.com/living-errata-guide/

Quote:
2. Can Eligor use Counter Slash vs ranged/supernatural attacks?

Yes, IF the target is in range of your Primary Attack (ie, usually Range 1 for Eligor). That does mean that Ember or Midnight with Counter Attack (via Equipment) can Counter Attack all over the place!

Quote:

Teleport can END on any legal space on the map unless specifically stated otherwise.

Quote:

Ignore towers, heroes, and other other "obstacles" when counting Range. No "line of sight" issues. : )

-

Thanks again for the story. Great questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.