Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few Down in Flames products out there. Any tips from DiF fans on what one needs to get started and what one needs for a full collection? Any products to be avoided as they are totally redundant or replaced by new products?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two families of DIF, the original GMT games and the later DVG games which I think begin with Aces High. There is quite a bit of discussion on BGG about how these relate to one another, whether DVG 'supercedes' GMT and the impression I have is that it's largely a matter of personal preference.
The GMT games have a European TO base game, Rise of the Luftwaffe, expanded by Eighth Air Force and a Pacific TO base game Zero! expanded by Corsairs & Hellcats. There are then additional aircraft types available in the C3i Squadron Packs 1 and 11, Fighters and Bombers plus some additional scenario modules.
The four main games can all be picked up on BGG or ebay. Zero! seems widely available and ROTF and EAF not too difficult but C&H seems harder to find. The Squadron packs are widely available but the scenario modules are in my experience much harder to find.

Having said all this GMT are planning to bring out a Deluxe version of their DIF called Wide Blue Yonder which will incorporate much of the ealier stuff with some updates and improvements. I would therefore suggest you have a look at the GMT website before buying anything.

I will let someone else discuss the DVG games (and perhaps correct me on the above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the first entry to the series by GMT, Rise of the Luftwaffe.

First off, let me say that I was not a big fan of card games. I own all of the series and they are all for sale if anyone is interested. Until just recently I never played any of them.

A few months ago I met someone that told me he was interested in WW2 aircraft and wondered if I had any easy to learn air combat games. I immediately thought of the Down in Flames series and decided to learn Rise of the Luftwaffe with him. I was surprised at how well the system mechanics worked and how simple and fun the game was. My new friend loved it too and immediately purchased a copy from me.

Needless to say, my perception of this series has changed. Funny how actually playing a game can do that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love the DIF system, the campaigns more than simple dogfights. I'd recommend getting the GMT version if you can find it for a good price in the secondary market, as it may take a while for Wild Blue Yonder to get here. Zero! would be a good start, since it includes a nicer card deck thatn was available in the earlier games (though the play the same).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.