Subject: American Engineer Units: Why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carolyn Caton

King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
They have no assault arrow, so they can't attack. They have no AV number, so they can't support. They have no MA, so they can't move. Do these units have any function other than "German speed bump"? What am I missing? And what is the purpose of the yellow AR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn Brower
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Carolyn,

Engineers are generally Unprepared (no Assault Arrow) on their move side but have an Assault Arrow on their Deployed side. Major exceptions are the static Allied Engineer units which are always Unprepared and have no movement capability. Those static units qualify as immobile speed bumps.

The yellow dot behind an AR rating means the unit cannot take replacement points. So they are non-rebuildable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Strader
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They can spot for Arty. And there is a lot of American Arty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn Brower
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Randy,

Engineer units assigned to a Formation can spot for artillery when they are unprepared. Static engineer units (LB Special Rule 3.3a) can only defend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carolynphilly wrote:
Do these units have any function other than "German speed bump"?

I think this is the major reason for these units being included as separate units rather than being abstracted out.

Most of them are sprinkled through the American rear areas at the start of the campaign. They make it just that little bit harder for the Germans to take key points by a coup de main before American reinforcements arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
The US static engineer units really are just speed bumps. They can't even spot for artillery since they can't be attached to any Formation. Thus no arty is available to them. The most they can do is stack with another US unit for the sake of the "2 units" combat drm and to absorb some losses. (of course having the extra unit in the hex can be a negative when defending against German artillery fire) Some of the statics can be positioned to defend Meuse bridges when they arrive.

Minimal value.

_Combat_ engineer units, on the other hand, behave about the same as infantry. [distinguishable by their assault arrow]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if it has to do with how the 1111 Engineer Group basically stymied what looked like a potentially unstoppable KG Peiper. Trying to replicate that att his scale, I suspect, might be tricky but leaving it our out or making some odd rule would feel wrong.

I'm okay with the solution. It might add some other brand of oddness as Hipshot points out, but to me it's worth the trade off.

...if my conjecture is correct...lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:
I wonder if it has to do with how the 1111 Engineer Group basically stymied what looked like a potentially unstoppable KG Peiper. Trying to replicate that att his scale, I suspect, might be tricky but leaving it our out or making some odd rule would feel wrong.

I'm okay with the solution. It might add some other brand of oddness as Hipshot points out, but to me it's worth the trade off.

That's correct. The 1111th Engineer Combat Group (and elements of the 1121st ECG in the form of the 254th Eng Cbt Bn) along with 1st Army Engineering assets were deployed in the rear performing typical army engineering duties like bridge repair, road maintenance, snow removal, and running saw mills (for bridges and lodging). The majority of the Engineer Combat Battalions were deployed in situ to where they were stationed before the battle and hence shown as static. Had they been represented as attachable independent infantry, this would misrepresent their ability and role and would certainly lead to abuse in player usage (cannon fodder, suicide charges, etc). The exception was the 159th Engineer Combat Battalion which was attached to the 4th Infantry Division and helped defend the southern shoulder during the fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your bibliography has helped me process this game far better Carl. Thanks for including it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:
Your bibliography has helped me process this game far better Carl. Thanks for including it!

I'll include one more for you. "The llllth Engineer Group in the Bulge:
The Role of Engineers as Infantry in AirLand Battle" by the School of Advanced Military Studies U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a167711.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 301
mb
gamesontables wrote:

Having watched a couple of his videos on this game, I don't think Hipshot really got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.