Subject: Letters from Japan Game 01: Til Deaths rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After the first test session, I've been itching to play Letters from Whitechapel again. Sadly, there has been no time to pull the game group together because of work and house duties. However, I've been asking my wife (a non-gamer) to try it out with me. I figure that it is simple in rules but deep in strategy and she might appreciate the fact that there isn't any English to worry about getting tripped up on.

Finally, after weeks of suggesting it, she decided to humor me and have a play.

Dramatis Personae

Jack the Ripper - (me)

Investigators - (The Missus)

No need to do fancy color-coding for the police as they are all controlled by one player this time around. Again I played as Jack, being the only one who knows the rules of the game. By means of an RNG app, my hideout was determined.

Hideout: Location 99

Night One: Hell

Head of the Investigation: The Missus
A Corpse on the Sidewalk: Location 29
Time of the Crime: Space II

Since I had never tried waiting to kill before, I decided to give it a shot now to see how it affects game play. I waited just one round and made the kill on the Wretched who was moved from Location 27 to 29.

Night One: Hunting

I got off to a bad start by misreading the map and had Jack run west to Location 47. I was planning on going south from there until I realized that 47 just leads to a dead end. Not quite ready to waste an Alley token just yet, I backtracked to 46 then 79 before continuing on my southerly escape.

It wasn't too long before The Missus picked up my trail around there and found my beeline south as I broke out onto Whitechapel Road at Location 118. The police were already heading in that direction as I wasn't being too sneaky. After getting to 120, I had to circumvent the police and (hopefully) try to place a false lead as they were closing in by ducking down the road to Location 100 before swinging back up around to 99 and declaring my arrival home.

The Missus had a general idea of where my trail ended but I hoped it was vague enough to get me through the next few nights.

Night Two: Hell

A Corpse on the Sidewalk: Location 146
Time of the Crime: Space II

I chose to wait yet again as it didn't do me much harm the first time around. This time I had a pretty clear shot from 147 so I waited, allowing the Wretched to be moved to 146. Perfect for me as I was heading in that direction to begin with.

Night Two: Hunting

The Investigator in the space between Locations 126 and 127 headed down to try to cut me off. So after 145 I took my route north to 104. The Missus had the majority of her police heading towards the middle down the main thoroughfare of Whitechapel Road while the others continued to find the path I took from the crime scene. Eventually clues were picked up on my trail around Locations 70 and 69.

I ducked back south from there, circling around 127 to 102 then 86. I finally used an Alley there to 84, trying to lure away the coppers. As I was lucky enough that they cleared the main street, I then easily slipped down to 99 and announced I was home yet again.

Night Three: Hell

A Corpse on the Sidewalk: Location 138 and 4
Time of the Crime: Space II/I

First time to get to the Third Night and I was worried how it would play out. The Missus was pretty sure she knew where my hideout was located and had kept most of her police near the center. I decided to wait again, hoping to buy more time but after I did so, I realized that all of my Wretched Tokens were moved within the movement range of a Patrol Token!

Oops! I checked one and it was an Investigator. I had to hope that at least one of the other two were decoys and said decoy would be the one closest to my second kill.

As the Patrol Tokens were replaced, I realized in horror that both of the tokens nearest to my (relocated) crime scenes were Police.

Night Three: Hunting

At first my wife was about to start searching for clues, but I reminded her that she had the first move as my "move" was the second kill. It was then that she realized she had me. She declared an arrest on Location 4 and, with that, Jack the Ripper was brought to justice.

---

Final Thoughts:

I lost! But I had a great time doing so. It was intense playing against a single mind who can move all the police to fit her plan. It just so happened that she was on to me from the get-go. I made a HUGE blunder by just going through habit and waiting on the Third Night, not realizing where I'd end up. Still it made for a great learning experience and I'm glad it happened for two reasons:

1. I'll be more observant in the future and
2. My wife got to enjoy victory on her first game.

The second point might be the most important because after we were done she said, "Let's play again."

I consider that a victory.

---

WIN RECORD:

Jack the Ripper - 0

Police - 1

The Missus (1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Maher
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you got to play this one - when did your wife become a non-gamer???? Oh wait....I know! My wife went the same way.

I've never won as police in a 2 player.

I wonder what the expansion will add to the gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nirumaru wrote:
Glad you got to play this one - when did your wife become a non-gamer???? Oh wait....I know! My wife went the same way.

I've never won as police in a 2 player.

I wonder what the expansion will add to the gameplay?

Just because she humors me by playing games occasionally doesn't mean she's no longer a "non-gamer". She does enjoy Alhambra and Love Letter and I made a strategic purchase with Marvel Legendary as she loves the Marvel films. That got her into playing it with me and helped push her English reading to a higher level. But I don't think she wants to play it these days because of the long set up. I'm really surprised at her interest in Letters from Whitechapel.

The expansion looks like it could add a lot to freshen up the game for longtime players who have become a bit bored with it. The options seem to shake up a lot of strategies that probably aren't necessary for someone as novice as myself. Also I think the wooden pawns in the base game are so much better than the plastic sculpts of the expansion. There is something very aesthetic about the tokens now that I think would be lost with detailed models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.