Popular Tags: [View All]
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Poll
In several recent threads I've noticed comments like "Solo gaming is on the rise..." and "the majority gamers play with only their spouses/partners.." This kind of took me by surprise, because even though my wife plays games.. we still spend most of our time playing with a gaming group, rather than by ourselves. So, I created this poll to see what how it actually breaks down...

The majority of time spent playing, how many people do you play with?
I mostly play with solo
I mostly play with 1 other friend, or my spouse/partner
I mostly play with 2 other players
I mostly play with 3 other players
I mostly play with 4 other players
I mostly play with 5+ other players
My gaming group varies from 2-5 players
      139 answers
Poll created by glouie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted gaming group, because the majority of my gaming is on Saturdays at our regular game night. However, I also play a lot of games with my wife (2-player) and recently I've started doing a lot of solo gaming. So I guess the correct answer would be: it varies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost all gamedays have 4-7 players.

Pete (just cancels if there are only 2, or if will be the wrong combination of 3)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My group usually has five or six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually go back and forth between 4-5 players at my adult group. Sometimes as many as eight.

The after school club runs 15-20, but we split up for different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly 4. When we first started gaming regularly we invited more people, so it was always 6-8. Resistance, ONUW, 7 Wonders, etc.

Then we realized 4 is really the ideal number for us to play the widest variety of games, and more strategic ones.

So our game nights ~75% of the time have the "core four" and the other times we'll invite more for a 5-8 player game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super solid group of 4. One of the group brings his 11 or 12 year old son, and he plays a few games with us (Waterdeep, Eclipse, etc.). Smart kid. He always wins when we play Revolution and he juts won a game of Talisman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on which group (2-12 on any given night) or if I'm just at home playing with my daughter. If at game night, we usually break into groups of 3-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Super solid group of 4. One of the group brings his 11 or 12 year old son, and he plays a few games with us (Waterdeep, Eclipse, etc.). Smart kid. He always wins when we play Revolution and he juts won a game of Talisman.

Hearing about when the kids join in always makes me smile. I love it when either or both of my boys joins in and plays with us... it happens less and less these days as 1 is off to college and the other will be going to college next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the past year, I would estimate that most of my gaming has been solo followed by "with my spouse" and then "with 2 or more others". If I only played when my wife was able and interested, there would be far less gaming yuk and I would miss out on a ton of games that I think are really cool because they do not appeal to her cry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play most games with my spouse...

...but in my gaming group we usually split the group in tables with 3 players each. This usually works just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's interesting that all of the comments so far are for >2p, but the majority of votes are for 2p. That seems reflected in other discussions about 2p games and gaming, and even more strongly in solo gaming discussions: the most opinionated commenters often have no interest in 2p and 1p games.

I think that this indicates two different gaming cultures: traditional gamers who use the hobby as a way to socialize with friends and family, and "low player count" gamers who either mostly only play with one other partner (usually their spouse) or alone. I get the sense that low-player-count gamers are increasing in the hobby and that traditional gamers sometimes feel a little resentful of that trend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had said 3 or 4 if possible, but as we are usually more people at game night than one game takes, we split off which usually results in these group sizes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming groups are usually 4-5 players, but the sheer preponderance of 2-player games played over the years with my son equal those put together.

Here are the stats since I began logging plays:
1 player: 0%
2 players: 39%
3 players: 13%
4 players: 18%
5 players: 19%
6 players: 7%
7 players: 3%
8+ players: 1%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really a toss up. The number I play with least is 2.

I would say, most often with 4-5, but 3 often enough.

My favorite number is 4, but it also depends on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
It's interesting that all of the comments so far are for >2p, but the majority of votes are for 2p. That seems reflected in other discussions about 2p games and gaming, and even more strongly in solo gaming discussions: the most opinionated commenters often have no interest in 2p and 1p games.

either that, or since there are more people involved in larger groups, their numbers are amplified.. (e.g. for each group, a solo gamer only has 1 voice, a 5 player group has 5 voices).

quill65 wrote:
I think that this indicates two different gaming cultures: traditional gamers who use the hobby as a way to socialize with friends and family, and "low player count" gamers who either mostly only play with one other partner (usually their spouse) or alone. I get the sense that low-player-count gamers are increasing in the hobby and that traditional gamers sometimes feel a little resentful of that trend.

As a traditional gamer (socializer), I have no resentment of "low player count" gamers. Sometimes I actually envy them, as there are certainly more opportunities to play with lower player count. In some ways our society is structured around 2 person relationships, so its only natural that there is more opportunity for 2 player games. As adults, we have other constraints on our time and our lives, so the opportunities for free or play time tend to revolve around our home lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:

It's a matter of convenience for me.

When my sister lived next door, she was my my main partner and sometimes her husband sat in. She moved.

My mother lives next door. She is my main gaming partner. Pretty much every night of the week we play something-- much more than sis and I ever did. One or two nights we have someone else over to play with us.

Two months ago, I put that someone else up on my couch for a month. Our main player count was at 3.

My dad is working out of town right now. As soon as he gets back (end of the year), he'll be sitting in on most of our game nights and instead of mostly 2 player, I'll be at mostly 3, sometimes 2 and sometimes 4. Occasionally more.

This is all a matter of who's living where and when more than a planned thing.

Not sure what traditional is. IS traditional people that stay at home and game? People that go out and game? Because I'd say my determining factor isn't player count but where I choose to game.

I have the luxury of not having to go out-- which is good since the nearest game store is 45 minutes away, one way.

The only connection I see with opinionated is a very tenuous one . . . do people who tend to be more socially oriented (willing to drive 45 minutes one way to get their game on if no one at home is willing) tend to vocalize opinions more readily? Couldn't say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Our meetup group usually has about 15-20 people show up.

At work, our board game lunch usually has 8-12 people show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do about half of my gaming with my fiancé, and the other with 2-4 others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with more than 2 almost always makes me "dislike" gaming. 1-2p is the most I want, unless I really enjoy the extra company, and it is better off being a light/party type game at that point. I know a lot of people play for like social interaction, but that's me. I want my turns to come quick and I want the focus on the game. With more people focus always drifts and you get in 20-30 minute conversations, and it's like come on guys, we have 3-4 hours to play this 3-4 hour game, and nobody's moved in 20 minutes. But yeah I play games to play games, not really socialize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Playing with more than 2 almost always makes me "dislike" gaming. 1-2p is the most I want, unless I really enjoy the extra company, and it is better off being a light/party type game at that point. I know a lot of people play for like social interaction, but that's me. I want my turns to come quick and I want the focus on the game. With more people focus always drifts and you get in 20-30 minute conversations, and it's like come on guys, we have 3-4 hours to play this 3-4 hour game, and nobody's moved in 20 minutes. But yeah I play games to play games, not really socialize.

That's probably more an issue of the people you are playing with than the game size.

I almost exclusively play 4-5 player games and I think only once has the group been particularly chatty, instead of focusing on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
79strat wrote:

This has only been an issue for me 2 times.. both at gaming conventions.. the first was at GenCon, while my wife and I were waiting to demo Parfum and the guy in the game ahead of me was talking and chatting... 30 minute demo took over an hour.. freakin' idiot.. The other time, was with my wife and I playing a pickup game at a local convention, we joined 3 people we didn't know.. and the one guy kept zoning out.. seems like we had to remind him every time it was his turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The group I game with the most has a weekly Thursday open invite game night. The number of board gamers that show up varies a lot. In recent weeks we've had as few as 4 and as many as the low teens. Very rarely have I seen 2 player games being played. With 6 players we seldom split into 2 games. With 7 players we split into 2 games about half the time. Only with 8 or more players do we usually split into 2 games, but not always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly I game with my husband, so I'm in the majority I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't answer the poll. About four times a week, I play a two-player game with my mother, neither a friend nor a spouse/partner. Why was that the only option to restrict the relationship between the players?

I probably play solo two or three times a week. I participate in a gaming group that meets monthly, but only sporadically join a group that plays weekly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.