United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. (example) If the Red player no longer has a ship docked in their left-most port are they still able to place and/or move dice in the three "Confirmed" locations corresponding to that port?

2. Can a player "exchange the location of two transports" by swapping the location of a single transport with an empty dock?

3. Rolling available dice and moving them to the "Booked" location, and loading your transports with three "Confirmed" passengers are both considered free actions, correct?

4. Once any one transport departs for Mars, there are now three dice missing from the "Confirmed" locations. Does this mean that players must refill all empty spaces before another transport may depart?

5. Do the bonus dice (both positive and negative) replace normal dice in game setup, or are they added to the pool, bringing available dice to eleven, rather than nine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick answers from my phone.

1) No

2) No

3) Yes

4) No, but each departing transport must have 3 dice

5) Replace, although add to would be fine too.

I'll explain more tonight when I get home.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
1. (example) If the Red player no longer has a ship docked in their left-most port are they still able to place and/or move dice in the three "Confirmed" locations corresponding to that port?

No, in the rules, the last sentence before the "Winning" section states:
" ​Once a Transport departs, that player may not add or move any more
dice to that loading strip."

This rule is in place to avoid sort of sabotaging the other player's plans. The red player got points for transporting their dice, they shouldn't get an added advantage of hurting their opponent.

Annowme wrote:
2. Can a player "exchange the location of two transports" by swapping the location of a single transport with an empty dock?

No, gameplay rule states: "Exchange positions of 2 of their own Transports."

Being able to swap with an empty space would in a sense give that player a "do over", a clean slate to place dice. The core feature of the game I think is the tension of placing dice into the Confirmed grid, and I think a "do over" like this might reduce the tension.

Annowme wrote:
3. Rolling available dice and moving them to the "Booked" location, and loading your transports with three "Confirmed" passengers are both considered free actions, correct?

Correct. Otherwise, I'd roll 3 dice, then you'd get to be the first person to choose one of those dice to play. I want the rolling of the dice to be fun. It's not much fun if I roll, then you get to pick the best one to use.

Note that no transports can be loaded until all 9 dice are placed in the 3x3 grid. Once the grid is full, the transporting may begin for the remainder of the game (the grid doesn't always need to be full to transport, just needs to be full before the first transport departs). This minimizes the first player advantage.

Annowme wrote:
4. Once any one transport departs for Mars, there are now three dice missing from the "Confirmed" locations. Does this mean that players must refill all empty spaces before another transport may depart?

No, as mentioned in the note above.

Annowme wrote:
5. Do the bonus dice (both positive and negative) replace normal dice in game setup, or are they added to the pool, bringing available dice to eleven, rather than nine?

I intended (although it's not clear in the rules), that the bonus dice should replace 2 of the normal dice. So, the game is always played with 9 dice.

So, I would start with the above mentioned clarifications. But, it's a game. Feel free to experiment, and if you do, please report back on what you think works best.

I mentioned somewhere else, I think as a comment in the files section, a modification that may be useful is when a player delivers 3 dice to Mars, the other player gets 2 actions on their next turn. I'm not convinced it's needed, but it may help balance some. If you notice that the first player to deliver always wins, this could be one way to better balance the game.

I hope you enjoy it. Please report back any feedback, suggestions, or other questions.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.