29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Freedom in the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: FiTG on Vassal. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Jurin
msg tools
So recently, I discovered and acquired a VASSAL version of FiTG, which I hadn't even realized existed before. Woohoo! I can actually play this game as I don't have the table space to lay everything out.

But I'm looking through it, and either I'm stupider than I think (always a possibility) or there's something really wrong with the counters.

Most of the stuff seems to be there, but the Rebels don't have any Wild military units, nor Elite units of either Urban nor Wild.It seems like a very strange oversight, if it is one, most of the rest of the game is pretty complete.

Does anyone know the score on that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Oliver
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam,

Where did you get the vassal module?

(I see it is not available on the vassal website)

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Freedom_in_The_Galax...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is available on the Decision Games website

https://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCod...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Cumba Simal
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For IOS there are an assistant to manage the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah DG messed that one up. A fellow gamer hooked me up with a modified version that is functional and repairs some of the stuff DG broke. Send me a PM. Fixing that module is in my to do list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jurin
msg tools
Actually, after poking around a bit in the module, I was able to fix it myself. It wasn't that difficult, whomever made the original already uploaded the proper image files, it was just a matter of creating a new set of tiles and slapping them on.

I haven't actually been able to figure out how to change the module version in Vassal's window, but I'll send you a PM momentarily, give you the file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corgatha wrote:
Actually, after poking around a bit in the module, I was able to fix it myself. It wasn't that difficult, whomever made the original already uploaded the proper image files, it was just a matter of creating a new set of tiles and slapping them on.

I haven't actually been able to figure out how to change the module version in Vassal's window, but I'll send you a PM momentarily, give you the file.

It's in the main properties of the top most folder in the Editor. I got your PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a heads up, another fellow gamer is tweaking this one and has done a lot more work on it than I have including errata charts and cards. Since I have a lot on my plate I'm going to wait for him to finish it. Maybe it can be published on the FitG VASSAL page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is very good news. My hat's off to this guy, whoever he is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kiger
msg tools
Just uploaded a completely revamped FITG Vassal module to the Vassal FITG Page.

Read the Quick Start notes under the Help Menu - I explain things there.

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ajkiger wrote:
Just uploaded a completely revamped FITG Vassal module to the Vassal FITG Page.

Read the Quick Start notes under the Help Menu - I explain things there.

Andy

I mentioned a fellow gamer doing work on this module. That's him. A round of applause for Andy. He sent this to me last night and I only had a chance to check it out this morning but it's quite excellent and addresses many if not all the flaws in the version Decision Games is offering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy, I would like to extend a sincere thank you for your work on the FitG module. I just installed it and it looks great.

A super job indeed !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kiger
msg tools
Little bit of trivia:

You hear about two different versions of the SPI Map (Black version and a Pink version), and you kind of put it down to the printing process they used back then when they printed them.

Well, as I was scrubbing the digital version of the map that came with the Vassal module by Decision Games, I realized it was a scan of the original Black Version of the SPI map, and I noticed it was slightly different than the Pink Version (Which is also the Avalon Hill version), not just some color variations, but informational differences as well.

That's when I realized SPI actually printed two different versions of the map. The first version (Black), and then they made some changes to the map, and printed a second version (Pink). So between printings, SPI modified the map.

So what were those changes SPI made?

The original (Black) map has Fliad 113 Liquid environ as a resource rating of 4, non-star faring resource.
The second edition map (Pink) changes this to a star-faring resource.

The original (Black) map has Liomax 161 with a creature attack: Lomrels
The second edition map (Pink) removes this creature name from the environ.

I had always wondered where those Lomrels were - I had seen them in the Players Guide, but could never find them on the map. Well now I know, after 35 years of wondering. I actually believe it probably fell off the map accidentally when they made the other change.

Case solved: The Lomrels have finally come home!

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
There's nothing like the sound of a child's laughter to remind you that your apartment's haunted.
badge
Freedom of Speech means that the Government can't imprison you for what you say, not that the rest of us can't tell you to shut up.
mbmbmbmbmb
ajkiger wrote:
Case solved: The Lomrels have finally come home!

This has bothered me for far longer than it should have. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kiger
msg tools
Well, I actually played a Star system game with this Module, and I've decided to update the module a bit to help streamline play. Update notes below:

1.07 Updates:

1. Added a random draw deck in both mission group windows (Rebel and Imperial). These are used to quickly select a random Mission or Character card during mission executions. For example, if you must randomly determine a mission to be aborted, drag your active missions to this deck and draw one to determine mission affected. Or if you must select a random character out of an active mission group, drag the mission group character cards to this deck and draw one to determine character affected.

2. Added “Return to Force Pool” command to all Rebel and Imperial counters.

3. Modified the “Loyalty/Rebellion” and “PDB” markers so they can be deleted and new ones can be drawn from the piece palette.

4. Modified the Turn Counter so in a Star-System game, you only see the turn sequence for the Star-System game, in a Province game, you only see the turn sequence for the Province game, and in a Galactic game, you only see the turn sequence for the Galactic game.

5. Added additional game flavor by including “Character” and “Possession” biographical notes (Menu command on the card) and Star-Faring race notes (Alt-Click on the race name in the orbit box of home planet) - OK, this does absolutely nothing to improve the play of this module and increases the file size by 4MB, but the background stories and notes are what make this game a classic - so I decided to include them.

I haven't yet submitted the update, will wait a week incase somebody out there has a good idea to add to update.

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kiger
msg tools
Well I submitted update 1.07 - should be available within the next 24 hours.

I actually did a lot of clean-up from 1.06.

Discovered the overlays didn't quite work when playing a game between a Mac and a Windows machine. Fixed.

Decided to update the card images (All 140 Cards) to much cleaner images (A little bit sharper and still at 72 DPI).

Cleaned up the "Mouse-over Stack Viewer" feature on the main map so that it works with the detailed map info.

And the other stuff I mentioned in my previous note about update 1.07.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kiger
msg tools
I refreshed my memory on Star-Faring resources and realized a resource rating of 4 followed by a star (Star-Faring Resource) doesn't make sense.
For a Star-Faring resource to make sense, it must be at least a 5 or greater. If you check the entire map, not a single resource rating of 4 or less has a star. Except on the Pink version in the Liquid environ of Fliad (113). And when you check that environ, you also see a double star following the race (Pink version only). So that environ really got messed up between SPI printings, not to mention the mess-up in Liomax 161 with the Lomerals falling off.

So that second printing that SPI did (Pink Version) was just a bad printing - I don't think they intended to make any changes to the Map at all - it just happened inadvertantly. Too Bad. The second printing was probably bigger than the first printing and when Avalon Hill picked it up, they propagated the bad printing even further.

The original SPI map (Black version) is the only truly correct map.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that the one with the deep blue urban environ? I rather digged AH's version with the lighter cyan urban icon. More's the pity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kiger
msg tools
colmenarez wrote:
Is that the one with the deep blue urban environ?

It sure is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How well does this game play via PBEM? Some games don't play very well when there is lots of back and forth.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kiger
msg tools
Well, I tried a Galactic Campaign and quickly realized another update was necessary.
Will push it out in a couple days.

1.08 Update:

1. Improved management of Secrets. When setting up Secrets for the Galactic Scenario, the Imperial player will draw them one at a time from the “Secrets Deck” located on the Imperial Forces Window. A random Secret will be drawn each time the Imperial player draws one. The Imperial player will place them in the 16 orbit boxes with the word “Secret” printed in them, one Secret marker per Orbit box, 16 Secrets total. The Imperial player will then “Right-click” each Secret marker and “lock” the secret to it’s Orbit box. Once locked in place, the Secret marker cannot be moved for the rest of the game and the Imperial player will then be able to inspect them. Again, once a secret is revealed (Imperial player flipping the counter over), the Rebel player will then have access to inspect them.

2. Improved management of the Strategic Assignment Deck. When arranging the Strategic Assignment Deck for the Galactic Scenario, the Imperial player will drag all 14 cards to the turn boxes (Turns 1 thru 14) arranging them in his/her preferred order. Once this is complete, the Imperial player will lock these 14 cards in place by clicking the “Lock SA 14 Card Deck” button on the main tool bar under the Deck menu. Once locked these cards can never be moved again during the game. As turns progress, the Imperial player will “right-click” the current turn Strategic Assignment card to flip face up. On turn 14, the Imperial player will click the “Set SA 6 Card Deck” button on the main tool bar under the Deck menu and drag any 6 cards to the remaining turn boxes (Turns 15 thru 20) arranging them in his/her preferred order. Once this is complete, the Imperial player will lock these 6 cards in place by clicking the “Lock SA 6 Card Deck” button on the main tool bar under the Deck menu. Once locked these cards can never be moved again during the game. The Imperial player should note that in order to lock the decks, one card, and only one card must be in each turn box; cards can only be flipped face up once the decks are locked. Only the Imperial player has permissions to set and lock decks. The Rebel player can only look to see the face up cards.

3. Character counters (Imperial and Rebel) now have a (Right-click) command that shifts control of the counter to the other player. This is necessary in the event a character becomes “Captured” by the opposing side. Once control is shifted to the capturing side, that character counter cannot be manipulated by the original owner until the new owner shifts control back to the original owner (i.e. the Character has been rescued - Free Prisoners Mission). Control can only be shifted when the counter is located on the main board. Character cards of captured characters can be given to the opposing side by dragging the card to the main board, where they can then be dragged to the opposing players Mission Group Window.

4. The Dead character discard piles have been moved to the main board so that both players can inspect them. These piles are also used to draw random dead characters during specified events (Clone World Planet Secret and Galactic Event #119 Radical clone experiments). The possessions removed from game play has also been moved to the main board so that both players can inspect it.

Andy Kiger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to see what's missing or needs improvement is to play the game using a module a few times. Sounds like you're doing a yeoman's job with this module. Thanks for putting in the time and effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeattleDan wrote:
How well does this game play via PBEM? Some games don't play very well when there is lots of back and forth.

Dan

It plays pretty well. There isn't that much of back and forth here. I have successfully completed several star system scenarios, province scenarios and about half of a Galactic Game via PBEM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kiger
msg tools
Update 1.08 posted - I think this module is finally ready to host a Galactic Game with confidence.

Link: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Freedom_in_The_Galax...

Andy Kiger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kiger
msg tools
My previous post about the different map versions (Pink VS. Black) mixed them up.

It is the Pink version that is the rare 1st printing.
It is the Black version that has the two errors in the map.

I apologize for the added confusion.

Just so happens I just discovered a rare pink version "complete and unpunched" on eBay located in the UK.

Little pricey for me.

For anyone interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142172071249?_trksid=p2055119.m1438....

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.