Subject: Another multiple group question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John R
United States
Jamestown
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I have some questions about how the multiple group gameplay is going to work. I know that the world will be evolving and different groups can jump in at any time and experience the world as it has changed, which I think is awesome. And with 90+ scenarios we shouldn't really have to worry about replaying the same places all that often. But I do have two questions about how it will work without having to go through the hassle of setting up a resettable campaign.

1) What do you do if you start two groups and players from different groups want to play the same class? Is there a way for them to play the same class from the beginning? Or would that be a case of needing to make an extra copy of the character card and improvement stickers for both to use?

2) How does the storyline work for two groups? I heard from Isaac that there will indeed be an over arching story, which was a big item for me and my groups. But say we start with one group and get a few sessions in, and then I meet with my other group and play a few sessions, how will that story be handled? Will the 2nd group just pick up where the first left off or will there be multiple story branches that can be followed that will affect the world simultaneously? I just want to make sure there will be some story to follow for each group without having to worry about jumping in halfway or starting it and then missing an important piece that the other group played.

I was thinking of doing the whole print multiple copies and laminate everything so it can be reset, but now that I think of it I really want to see how this world evolves and experience everything he is putting into this game. I just want to make sure it is feasible with two groups. Plus, by the time I print everything and laminate and get it all set for resetting I'll probably be pretty close to the cost of a new copy so at that point if I really want to reset I may as well just buy a 2nd copy. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that, though

I apologize if these have been answered elsewhere. I don't remember seeing these specifically and figured this would be easiest.

Thanks, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccrunner52 wrote:
1) What do you do if you start two groups and players from different groups want to play the same class? Is there a way for them to play the same class from the beginning? Or would that be a case of needing to make an extra copy of the character card and improvement stickers for both to use?

Each character sheet (see p.37 of the rulebook) will show which perks and ability cards the character has chosen as they level up. So the players that chose the same class may have to re-sort their deck to get the correct cards together. Also, enchanting (which is what I think you mean by "improvement stickers"?) affect all characters of that class. So if Brutius Maximus upgrades his Mighty Swing ability (not a real card), then all Brutes have an improved Mighty Swing.

Quote:
2) How does the storyline work for two groups? I heard from Isaac that there will indeed be an over arching story, which was a big item for me and my groups. But say we start with one group and get a few sessions in, and then I meet with my other group and play a few sessions, how will that story be handled? Will the 2nd group just pick up where the first left off or will there be multiple story branches that can be followed that will affect the world simultaneously? I just want to make sure there will be some story to follow for each group without having to worry about jumping in halfway or starting it and then missing an important piece that the other group played.

Once a mission/scenario is unlocked, it can be played by any group (with the appropriate party achievements). So you may be mid-storyline, take a break, then come back to find a different group has carried on with the story, unlocking (or closing off) new story branches. There will likely be multiple options to choose from at a given time, so you could nudge Group B to a new mission if you'd like to keep the previous mission for Group A.

To note though, you can go back and replay any unlocked scenario (I guess any locked scenario as well, but where's the fun in that?). So if you missed a storyline or just want to re-experience it, there is that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Jamestown
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks! That pretty much explained everything. I feel a lot better about just letting the game grow without worrying about it. And the enchantments are what I was thinking of. Just couldn't remember the name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
playing with two groups is there the possibility that one group can clear some scenarios in the personal mission of a PC of another group? So avoiding that that PC can fulfil his career quest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Antonio8080 wrote:
playing with two groups is there the possibility that one group can clear some scenarios in the personal mission of a PC of another group? So avoiding that that PC can fulfil his career quest?

As I understand the rules, the only thing you don't get for replaying a scenario the other group unlocked, is listed in the "Rewards" section. I guess if there's a unique item that the other group got, and it's required for your personal quest, you might not be able to finish it in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
Deverash wrote:
Antonio8080 wrote:

As I understand the rules, the only thing you don't get for replaying a scenario the other group unlocked, is listed in the "Rewards" section. I guess if there's a unique item that the other group got, and it's required for your personal quest, you might not be able to finish it in that case.

but in the rules it is stated: "In addition, once a scenario has been completed in campaign mode, it cannot be undertaken again in campaign mode by any party."

so it seems that a scenario cannot be done (if completed) by another group, if I understood correctly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Campaign mode" just means it doesn't earn the scenario campaign rewards or unlock new content (because it's already been unlocked now). You can still go play it for fun or to farm gold or XP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
But he is worried about the party achievements.

But I do not think it is a problem. You can replay the scenario with your second group. You will not be able to loot already looted treasures. Possibly unlocked scenarios from the first play are already opened and unable to opened even more. But you can follow the story line of the previous group. Or you would open previously unopened chests and unlock different content and scenarios - again for everyone.

The party achievements should not prevent entering scenarios unless there is a way how to get them for everyone. So if you can only enter a scenario X when you finish scenario Y, that is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would still be nice if Isaac could confirm that those situation where you cannot complete a (personal-) quest, because another group has completed something crucial before you, cannot arise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
You can not "unsticker" a scenario. So no one can prevent replaying it.

But I understand your concern, I am not the author so I can not confirm there is no "critical party achievement" in a chest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Klein
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb

Well if your group ever reaches a point that is untenable, you can always make up a houserule. It is your table after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.