$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Conversion Kit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Why??

Why wouldn't they just put the cardboard chits and player cards into the expansions they belong with, if they knew they were releasing expansions?

I picked up ONLY Supressed Memories (am waiting til next paycheck for Recurring Nightmares) and I have no clue which 8 of the Conversion Kits 16 Investigators that I need to pull out from the CK and place with the useful Investigator Cards.

This just seems wonky to me. Maybe it was cheaper to print out all the cardboard chits together and not have any with the expansions... but there are area tiles, so... who knows... anyone?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Why??

Why wouldn't they just put the cardboard chits and player cards into the expansions they belong with, if they knew they were releasing expansions?

I picked up ONLY Supressed Memories (am waiting til next paycheck for Recurring Nightmares) and I have no clue which 8 of the Conversion Kits 16 Investigators that I need to pull out from the CK and place with the useful Investigator Cards.

This just seems wonky to me. Maybe it was cheaper to print out all the cardboard chits together and not have any with the expansions... but there are area tiles, so... who knows... anyone?


Because then those of us who have first edition would have to buy duplicate items.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:

I picked up ONLY Supressed Memories (am waiting til next paycheck for Recurring Nightmares) and I have no clue which 8 of the Conversion Kits 16 Investigators that I need to pull out from the CK and place with the useful Investigator Cards.


When you enable the one expansion you bought in the app, it will show you on the investigator selection screen which investigators you can choose from.

Easy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
jnowak415 wrote:
Why??

Why wouldn't they just put the cardboard chits and player cards into the expansions they belong with, if they knew they were releasing expansions?

I picked up ONLY Supressed Memories (am waiting til next paycheck for Recurring Nightmares) and I have no clue which 8 of the Conversion Kits 16 Investigators that I need to pull out from the CK and place with the useful Investigator Cards.

This just seems wonky to me. Maybe it was cheaper to print out all the cardboard chits together and not have any with the expansions... but there are area tiles, so... who knows... anyone?


Because it's also a conversion kit for 1E owners. And I don't think they knew those expansions were being released *at that stage in making the game*. Obviously they knew well before it was released, but not in time to, say, include a note in the conversion kit about it.

Although not even having a list of what monsters and investigators are included in the expansion box is indeed ridiculous.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
I picked up ONLY Supressed Memories (am waiting til next paycheck for Recurring Nightmares) and I have no clue which 8 of the Conversion Kits 16 Investigators that I need to pull out from the CK and place with the useful Investigator Cards.

Look at the back of the investigator cards. The ones with a moon symbol or flask symbol in the bottom-left corner go with Suppressed Memories. The ones with the key symbol go with Recurring Nightmares.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grünherz

Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
msg tools
mbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
I picked up ONLY Supressed Memories (am waiting til next paycheck for Recurring Nightmares) and I have no clue which 8 of the Conversion Kits 16 Investigators that I need to pull out from the CK and place with the useful Investigator Cards.

Look at the back of the investigator cards. The ones with a moon symbol or flask symbol in the bottom-left corner go with Suppressed Memories. The ones with the key symbol go with Recurring Nightmares.


This. As with all FFG games, each set has an associated symbol (for MoM that even includes the core set). All components in the conversion kit with the matching symbol are relevant to you so you should have no issue finding the necessary components and adding them to your pool of stuff.

The symbols also help you find tiles when playing a scenario btw because it will give you the symbol for the set from which the tile is pulled so you know which pile to look through.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
I don't think they knew those expansions were being released *at that stage in making the game*.

Pretty sure you're wrong about that. It's just as likely (maybe more so) that the idea of releasing the 2nd edition was partly because it let them generate income from the existing 1st edition assets again.

I suspect they knew all along, but also knew that anybody playing with the 1e assets in 2e would need the chits/cards regardless of whether they had the original 1e versions or bought new repackaged version. Therefore it made a certain sense to include the cards/chits in the 2e core box.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
I don't think they knew those expansions were being released *at that stage in making the game*.

Pretty sure you're wrong about that. It's just as likely (maybe more so) that the idea of releasing the 2nd edition was partly because it let them generate income from the existing 1st edition assets again.

I suspect they knew all along, but also knew that anybody playing with the 1e assets in 2e would need the chits/cards regardless of whether they had the original 1e versions or bought new repackaged version. Therefore it made a certain sense to include the cards/chits in the 2e core box.


I don't think it was some crazy scheme. I think Nikki and FFG genuinely believed that the only way to fix MoMs problems was to make a 2nd Ed. And I agree! It is so much fun.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
viresium wrote:
JudgementDave wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
I don't think they knew those expansions were being released *at that stage in making the game*.

Pretty sure you're wrong about that. It's just as likely (maybe more so) that the idea of releasing the 2nd edition was partly because it let them generate income from the existing 1st edition assets again.

I suspect they knew all along, but also knew that anybody playing with the 1e assets in 2e would need the chits/cards regardless of whether they had the original 1e versions or bought new repackaged version. Therefore it made a certain sense to include the cards/chits in the 2e core box.


I don't think it was some crazy scheme. I think Nikki and FFG genuinely believed that the only way to fix MoMs problems was to make a 2nd Ed. And I agree! It is so much fun.



Yep. I agree. Selling games / units never crossed their minds at any point of the process. It's all just for the love. They're like naive children with colouring books, never stopping to think of such crass and adult concerns of money and profit or marketing.

Meanwhile, back in the waking world...



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
jnowak415 wrote:
Why??

Why wouldn't they just put the cardboard chits and player cards into the expansions they belong with, if they knew they were releasing expansions?

I picked up ONLY Supressed Memories (am waiting til next paycheck for Recurring Nightmares) and I have no clue which 8 of the Conversion Kits 16 Investigators that I need to pull out from the CK and place with the useful Investigator Cards.

This just seems wonky to me. Maybe it was cheaper to print out all the cardboard chits together and not have any with the expansions... but there are area tiles, so... who knows... anyone?

As stated above, each investigator card will have an appropriate expansion icon. I believe the icons are explained in the rule book.

A brief moment of confusion for a few of us is definitely worth it to allow those who collected the previous edition of the game to be able to use all of their content out of the box without any further purchases.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Why??

Why wouldn't they just put the cardboard chits and player cards into the expansions they belong with, if they knew they were releasing expansions?

I picked up ONLY Supressed Memories (am waiting til next paycheck for Recurring Nightmares) and I have no clue which 8 of the Conversion Kits 16 Investigators that I need to pull out from the CK and place with the useful Investigator Cards.

This just seems wonky to me. Maybe it was cheaper to print out all the cardboard chits together and not have any with the expansions... but there are area tiles, so... who knows... anyone?

As stated above, each investigator card will have an appropriate expansion icon. I believe the icons are explained in the rule book.

A brief moment of confusion for a few of us is definitely worth it to allow those who collected the previous edition of the game to be able to use all of their content out of the box without any further purchases.


Wholeheartedly agree. I was lost in limbo for a little while!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.