7 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Zero Losses" Card at only 5 VP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Gunn
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Player "A" wishes to play the "Zero Losses" card and gain 2 Victory Points (VP).
The Victory Point Goal for this game is 10.
Player "A" currently has 5 VP's and none of his Ships are destroyed.

Can he use this card at this time?

Zero Losses Card States:
"Condition: If your VP total is less than three points away from the Victory Point Goal for this game, and you have not lost a single ship, this mission is complete."

Personally, I do not think he can use this card until he reaches 8 or 9 VP's.
Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would he be able to use it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You're correct. Given the situation you describe, player A would need to be at 8 or 9 VPs to claim that mission complete. This doesn't even need a rules reference to answer with 100% certainty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gunn
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to both Chris & Barry for your quick reply and for supporting my interpretation that 8 or 9 is the minimum requirement to use this Card. My opponents were convinced otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sounds like his confusion is with interpreting, "is less than three points away from", which I admit could, at first, be interpreted just the opposite from its meaning. (Just as it takes me an extra second or two to evaluate a double negative).

For a 10 VP game, he's interpreting "less than" as being defined as a number less then 7. I.e., 10-3=(<7).

But after further evaluation, it becomes clear that the "less than" is defining a number which less than 3 from 10. I.e., 10-(<3)=9 or 8.

The words, "away from the Victory Point Goal" is what points to the latter definition as the correct interpretation. Just imagine plotting the calculation on a number line, and it will become visually clear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gunn
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once again, thanks for your thoughts on the topic Barry. I believe you have identified what he may have been thinking.

I tried to emphasize that a 2 Point Victory Card would be more difficult to complete. For example, if he had played this card on Turn 1 using his line of thinking he could have cashed it in with "0" VP to his credit and all of his Ships still alive, while I was working much harder to complete a 1 Point Victory Card.

It only follows, that a 2 Point Victory card would be the reward awaiting you after surviving several turns with all of your ships intact. Otherwise, why even mention having all your ships intact if you could cash in after Turn 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Raygun13 wrote:
I tried to emphasize that a 2 Point Victory Card would be more difficult to complete. For example, if he had played this card on Turn 1 using his line of thinking he could have cashed it in with "0" VP to his credit and all of his Ships still alive, while I was working much harder to complete a 1 Point Victory Card.

It only follows, that a 2 Point Victory card would be the reward awaiting you after surviving several turns with all of your ships intact. Otherwise, why even mention having all your ships intact if you could cash in after Turn 1.

Bingo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.