Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone direct me to a Modge Podge tutorial (yes, I'm truly not that crafty blush). After some research, Modge Podge seemed to be the technique of choice to cover paper printouts on wood.

I tried it once and the pieces came out sticky. I'm sure this technique has already been covered, but I'm struggling to find it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No direct advice here, but the art form you're looking for is 'decoupage,' which might help you get some better search results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it's "Mod" Podge, which should help as well.

Try http://modpodgerocksblog.com/ Great website for ideas and tutorials.

The type of finish you use makes all the difference. In my experience, the Glossy is pretty much always sticky and streaky. It doesn't matter how much or little you use, what type of surface you're putting it on, what kind of brush you use, or anything. It's the finish itself. I like the matte finish myself. A lot less streaks, no glare, and while you might get a little stick initially, it usually settles down after a little handling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
aleuhe wrote:
Can someone direct me to a Modge Podge tutorial

I wrote one a little while ago, that I shall reproduce here:

Step 1: don't use Mod Podge.

Your problem with stickiness is not unique. I tried it once and gave up shortly after - the only way I got it to not be tacky was to put a coat of something else over the top, which I felt defied the point somewhat. I'm sure there's something that I and everyone else who's failed to get good results out of it are doing wrong - some variance of humidity or temperature or thickness of application or something - but I came away with the strong impression that the Mod Podge people put more effort and money into advertising to convince everyone that their product was awesome than they did into actually making their product awesome.

In my opinion, it's just not worth trying to work out what you're doing wrong with Mod Podge when you can get tubs of paint-on acrylic varnish or similar from pretty much any art/craft shop that cure reliably and leave a good finish (generally it comes in gloss or satin or matt) and generally cost about the same or maybe a bit less. If you want glue, use any old cheap PVA; if you want a finish coating, use varnish. Sell your Mod Podge to a scrapbooker or something, they seem to like it for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Try some white wood glue mixed with water. I don't know the ratio. Probably 1:1 would work fine.
Try out a mixture on something and see if you like it, but I think you'll find this works really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jake. Use something else.

I've done about 4 projects with Mod Podge. They all took forever to dry out and cure and become non sticky. It also felt very "sloppy": it felt like I was just covering the entire project in Mod Podge, especially since it was both the adhesive and the sealant.

One project was to cover a wooden clipboard with patterned paper. Each of my kids had selected a pattern from the craft store. I finished the assembly in a day. But the cure / drying out took a month. And this was in summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are numerous choices in sealing sprays (when you can work outdoors or in a well ventilated area.) You can get a smooth surface and protection against UV fading.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Krylon+UV+Resistant+Clear&so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.