Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Certain video games I think of as works of art - for example, Planescape: Torment, the Fallout series, maybe a few adventure games (HerStory, YearWalk, some of Inkles iOS releases), some strategy games (This War of Mine). MOO2 or Civ are fantastic games, but not quite works of art, IMHO.

OK, for a working definition of a (good or great) work of art - something that gives you, on an emotional level, a deeper insight into beauty, truth, or the human condition. As great as MOO2 or the various Civs are, they don't give me that. Planescape: Torment does, but the Baldur's Gate series doesn't. X-Com maybe.

What board games would rise to the levels of works of art? Does there have to be a narrative underling them? Is the physical artwork and production values enough alone to make a board game a work of art without an underlying narrative? Are games where a narrative is embedded, or emergent from the game, more likely to give an experience like that for an artwork than other games with no emergent narrative? Does theme matter in whether a board game can be considered an artwork, as it could contribute to immersion in the world of the game?

Is Twilight Struggle a work of art? A Study in Emerald? Pandemic? Pandemic: Legacy? Mice and Mystics? Arkham Horror or Eldrich Horror? Fortune and Glory? Are Werewolf or The Resistance works of art?

Interested in what responses people have. I'm thinking that some games where the experience of playing is immersive - Werewolf, Mice and Mystics, Merchants and Marauders - could be considered works of art, but I'm having a harder time with more strategic or abstract games. I'm not quite sure if Twilight Struggle is a work of art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The boards can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few games that are, for lack of a better term, "interactive stories".

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases
Tales of the Arabian Nights

...I'd say that if a book counts, these would count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
The boards can be.

That's not quite what I'm asking about. Scythe is a beautiful game, but the experience of playing it isn't quite immersive enough for me to think of it as a work of art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
The boards can be.

That's not quite what I'm asking about. Scythe is a beautiful game, but the experience of playing it isn't quite immersive enough for me to think of it as a work of art.
Then no, a game experience cannot be a work of art, any more then drinking a beer or watching a film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
This War of Mine

I bought this game quite a while back and still haven't gotten around to playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
OK, for a working definition of a work of art - something that gives you, on an emotional level, a deeper insight into beauty, truth, or the human condition.

I'm pretty sure that if that's the definition of art, the vast majority of "art" doesn't actually qualify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb

Edit: I like high frontier, because knowing Ecklund, aethetics probably wasn't his goal, this was just the best way to share the information.

The fact that it ended up being one fo the most beautiful gameboards ever is a happy accident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
also;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sfox wrote:
tmcvey wrote:
This War of Mine

I bought this game quite a while back and still haven't gotten around to playing it.

I can play a game every month or so. My kid (surprisingly) got really into it, but there's only so much grimdark I can take in a given time period, after the characters starve to death, hang themselves, get shot, die of wounds, die of sickness, or walk out the door never to be seen again. The expansion with kids hasn't yet hit iOS, which is probably a good thing for my mental health.

Definitely is a work of art though. Looking forward to the boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. I think certain games qualify as art. The Grizzled, ...and then, we held hands., and The Mushroom Eaters come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the art of a board game (or video game) be separated from the player? Does the art come from the structure of the game, the rules, the mechanics? Or does it come from an exceptionally good execution of them by the player? If the second, then it is not only the game but the game-player system that constitutes the art.

The more I think about it, the more I think the player must be part of it - after all, isn't a well-played game more "artistic" than the same game poorly played?

(Edit: fix grammar.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:

Did not know about those.

Ummmm...whoah.

Yeah, I think you win the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quite litterally, art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:
Sure. I think certain games qualify as art. The Grizzled, ...and then, we held hands., and The Mushroom Eaters come to mind.

I've played The Grizzled, and your others reminded me of Onirim, which I would think of as a work of art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All games are works of art. Both physically and in the abstract.

They just aren't all good art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momiji Take-sumi
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I've been meaning to play Torment and revisit Adler's definition of art for years now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question and post! Maybe should be in Chit Chat to get a wider audience... or General Gaming for that matter.

Board games, as expressions of creativity, are most definitely art. They are pleasing to the senses. Certainly, many boards are visually pleasing, but there's more to art than just the visual. Art can stimulate any sense, not just sight.

Sculpture is art for touch (sometimes).

Music is art for the ears.

Food, wine, cigars, fine liquor, etc are all art for the nose and mouth.

Board games, while mostly visual and sometimes tactile, introduce another dimension (sense?) of art that traditional forms are only tangential to - audience interaction.

With traditional forms, the audience can only really interact with their impressions and opinion of the art. Board games encourage the audience to, even demand, participation in the work to "complete" the expression (some games can certainly stand on their own visually).

Think of chess. An elegant game in most anyone's estimation. But many think of the masters as the artist and not the game. Without the medium, however, there is no art form.

Combining the player with the creator's design completes the work. And that makes them a very elegant form of art if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
The boards can be.

It's a tired cliche but, art is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly, boards, boxes, counters/figures, dice and even rules manuals/play books can contain significant design/artistic expression.

You say a video game can be a work of art. Does that mean each and every element? Main menu, tutorial sections, credits, etc are all in the game but not necessarily immersive.

Is immersion a requisite to artistic expression or enjoyment? If a movie fails to interest me or contains bad editing or direction does it cease to be art, or is it arguably poor art?

Why not call games art? Games are pure creations meant to entertain and sometimes even communicate the subjects they cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Great question and post! Maybe should be in Chit Chat to get a wider audience... or General Gaming for that matter.
Quantity does not equal quality. The banal, shallow non-RSP masses can't understand passion, truth, tragedy or love. No, he made the right choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos In The Old World comes close to art, if only the human population was less abstracted somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Chaos In The Old World comes close to art, if only the human population was less abstracted somehow.

That was one of the strategy games I was thinking of as qualifying as art. I haven't played War of the Ring (Second Edition) to know if it similarly gives that feeling. Knezia's Lord of the Rings does, I think, barely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough to say. The definition of "art" is a bit nebulous, and it changes from one person to the next.

The first game that came to my mind was Arkham Horror. I remember my early plays of that game, and a palpable feeling of dread and anxiety that hit me as the game went along. Not just because of the skillful use of the (borrowed) setting, but the way the game mechanics always kept you dancing on thin ice that was cracking underneath your feet. It's like there's a new calamity every turn, and you're just desperately bailing water out of your boat, hoping you get to shore. And the shore probably has a brain-eating monster chilling on it.

So the game had a distinct (albeit, again, borrowed) setting and evoked a distinct emotional reaction in me. That's art, right? I guess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
tmcvey wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
The boards can be.

Sure, these could upon their 'theme merits' for that!
slatersteven wrote:
Then no, a game experience cannot be a work of art, any more then drinking a beer or watching a film.
surprise ~"These "assault"-'pretzel'-logic were making 'moi' "BLOODTHIRSTY"!"
whistle "invocation" of: 'Machete'-GUY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:

Is there any precedent for UN-RSP'ing threads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.