Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Jenny rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard Baird
msg tools
Robinson Crusoe’s Journal

Day 1 – Friday, August 15, 1651
Our voyage ended in tragedy today. A huge storm came up and our ship was swamped. It went down quickly, taking the crew with it. Myself, Xury, and my trusty dog have survived. I don’t know how long we can keep the dog alive. At some point Xury and I will have to eat.

Lucky for us—and for the dog—a crate full of food, a hammer, some rusty nails, and, most importantly, some rum washed up on shore. We also met a local. We haven’t been able to communicate very well with him and I still don’t know what his name is. I decided to call him Friday since it’s Friday. He seems nice enough and I hope Xury and I won’t have to eat him, either.

There is another bright spot, though this one presents a challenge. Jenny, another member of our crew, has also survived. Beautiful girl. Head full of dark, black hair. Eyes like huge, brown saucers. Unfortunately, she’s still in the ocean, floating on some planks, and the sharks are beginning to circle. The tide is taking her further away from the island, and she looks terrified. Hopefully the sharks don’t eat her.

Knowing Jenny won’t last long and seeing Friday’s concern as well—though I may have mistaken his concern for a desire to mate—we devised a plan using a combination of hand gestures and sand drawings. Our plan is to first build a raft and rescue Jenny. Then we will build a lifeboat and leave this island. When Xury asked why not just build the life boat, leave the island, and pick up Jenny on the way, I reminded him that it is not his place to question.

We decided to split up, each one of us heading off to explore a different part of the island. Our hope is that we might find everything we need in the next few days to build both the raft and the lifeboat, as well as simply survive.

All went well for me. I headed up the mountains to the north. There was a beautiful waterfall and several birds there. I thought if need be, we could spare the dog’s life and try to take some of those birds for food. I did manage to injure my leg while exploring. Slipped on some rocks. I guess I’ll have to watch my footing a little closer.

Like me, Friday went by himself. He headed into the hills to the east. I don’t know exactly what happened there, but when he returned this evening he seemed shaken. Perhaps there’s more to this island then I first thought.

Xury took the dog with him. He decided to explore the river to the south of us. He reported that there are plenty of fish there. He also found some rope. This is good news for us as it will come in handy when we construct our raft. He also reported that the land is scorched. A fire must have gone through the whole area some time ago. The trees there will be useless to us. Fortunately, there are plenty of other trees on this island.

Tonight, we ate our fill and then decided to move our camp. We thought it best to head further into the island so we could continue our exploration tomorrow. We have to find more wood and food, as well as some fur for the lifeboat. If all goes well, Jenny will be safe on shore soon.

Goodnight for now. I look forward to sleeping under the stars on this beautiful island.

-Robinson

Day 2 – Saturday, August 16, 1651
This morning I woke up with some pain in my back. Sleeping on the ground in the open isn’t as appealing as I first thought. I also spotted a growing number of storm clouds in the distance. They drew closer all day, and tonight the stars are completely hidden. Thankfully I had the forethought when I first saw them to ask Friday if he’d build us a shelter. He seems like a handy fellow, and, as I sit here inside its walls, writing in this journal, I think he did a pretty good job. Though, it would have been advantageous if he had added a roof.

Before heading out to do some more exploring this morning, Xury and I gathered some wood and food from around the camp. Then, I instructed him to stay in the camp and see if he could build a pot. Food tastes so much better when cooked over a fire in a pot.

I took the dog with me today, and together we explored further up the mountains to the north. I couldn’t believe our luck when we found two dead animals lying by the side of the road. I skinned them and took their fur pelts. We would need them when it came time to build the lifeboat.

We also found a cave. It would have been perfect shelter. Unfortunately, Friday had already begun work on the roofless shelter I sit in now. Seems like a waste of resources in hindsight. Truthfully, though, it may be for the best. The dog spent a lot of time pacing in front of that cave, growling at the entrance. Perhaps a beast lies in wait there.

I was pleased to discover that Xury had completed the pot when we returned to camp. Unfortunately, he also managed to drop in on his foot when it was done. He has a bit of a bruise, but I think it’ll be ok. He really is a clumsy fellow.

Well, here comes the rain. It’s getting cold as well. Damn Friday for not putting a roof on this shelter. At least dinner smells fantastic.

I am now writing a few hours later. There was some excitement in our little shelter. The dog became agitated when it heard a noise outside our shelter. As he paced back and forth he managed to knock our food off the table and into the fire. I thought perhaps it was time to suggest eating the dog. But then! Xury pointed to a fat raccoon in the corner of our shelter. He was gnawing on the one piece of food that hadn’t landed in the fire. Slowly grabbing the pot, Friday moved toward the raccoon, and with incredible swiftness bludgeoned the thing to death. It was truly a sight to behold! Add to that, that raccoon actually tastes pretty good.

My bed is located in a growing mud puddle, and I can already tell it’s going to be a long night. But, at least I don’t have it as bad as Jenny. I wonder if she’ll even survive the night.

I better get to sleep. More work tomorrow.

-Robinson

Day 3 – Sunday, August 17, 1651
The storm picked up throughout the night. When we woke up this morning it was a full-fledged hurricane. I braved the wind and rain to go outside and collect some wood and food, and while doing so, a tree branch fell down and cracked me over head. It bled pretty hard for a while, and tonight it’s still sore. Even so, I was feeling optimistic this morning. At least I was still alive, and when I looked down towards the ocean, I could see that Jenny had indeed survived the night.

Today we decided the one item we really needed was a knife. I commanded Xury to work on that. Friday and I split up again, each of us going off in different directions to gather even more wood. Between the raft and the lifeboat, we need to keep collecting wood. Thankfully, as the day went on the weather calmed down, but I could see another storm front in the distance.

All in all it was a good day. Poor Xury cut his hand while building the knife, but it seems to be ok for now. He really needs to pay closer attention to what he’s doing.

This night is much calmer than the last few. The stars have even managed to show their light. We ate well and decided on a plan for the next day. Friday will go gather wood, Xury will finally build that raft, while myself and the dog will go hunting. I pray that Jenny can hang on just a little longer.

As I prepare to sleep, Friday is singing a song in his native tongue. It has a haunting melody, and as I listen to the rustle of the leaves outside and the gentle breeze blowing around our shelter, I can’t help but feel some peace. Tomorrow is going to be a great day!

-Robinson

Day 4 – Monday, August 18, 1651
Curse this damned island! All the rain we received the last several days caused a land slide making the mountains to the north impossible to reach. I had hoped to go hunting there this morning and discover what beast lay within the cave, but instead I had to head south through the hills. In addition to that, this morning also came with another bout of wind and rain. I feel as if I’ll never be dry again.

The major task of the day was to construct our raft. Jenny doesn’t have much time left. Actually, as I thought of Jenny this morning, safe on the beach, it made me even more determined to accomplish our goals. I know we can do this.

As we had planned last night, Friday went off to gather wood, and while he managed to bring some back to camp, it came at a cost. One of the trees he felled landed on his leg and now he’s walking with a pretty pronounced limp.

The good news of the day is that Xury completed the raft without incident—this is quite an accomplishment for him—and I had an amazing hunt. I regaled everyone with the tale as we gathered together for what would surely be another rainy evening. The following is my account:

The dog and I headed out and almost immediately discovered some tracks in the mud. We followed them into the woods where we came upon a huge cheetah sitting in the trees. Luckily we saw him first as when he pounced I was able to jump out of the way. He merely scratched my arm. I quickly turned and pulled out my knife. He came at me a second time and I buried it in his throat. Unfortunately, as he lay on the ground dying, he swiped at me again. He hit my hand and the knife went flying. It is now missing. I grabbed the pot that I had brought along for some inexplicable reason and hit him over the head with it. That was all it took.

After telling my tale, I showed them the fur pelt I had gotten from the cheetah, along with the meat I had gathered from its carcass. It was then that I realized I probably should have rescued Jenny before hunting. All this meat and not enough mouths to eat it. I thought much of it would rot before morning, but fate often favors the prepared, and so it did tonight.

While the rain pounded down upon us once more—seriously, why hasn’t Friday built that roof yet?—I went to cook the food. It was only then that I noticed the food we had gathered in the morning was missing, and the dog looked rather satisfied. I would have finally suggested eating the mangy mutt had it not been for the meat from the cheetah. In fact, we had more food then we needed. Tonight we feasted like kings. At least Xury and I did. Tonight was the first time I noticed that Friday never seems to eat anything. Perhaps his kind doesn’t require food. That would certainly be a helpful quality to have.

On a more frustrating note, some of the wood is becoming useless with all this rain. We’ll need to gather more tomorrow.

I am heading to bed now. My head is swimming a little as we decided to open the rum after dinner. I drank a little too much, but at least I am starting to feel better. I do wonder what that howling noise is off in the distance.

-Robinson

Day 5 – Tuesday, August 19, 1651
This morning the rain finally began to clear out, but not before doing more damage to the camp. In its place, a low cloud of mist moved in making it difficult to see. But, with the raft complete—mist be damned!—I felt very good this morning. In fact, I thought many of my wounds were starting to look better, and tonight they seem to have healed even more.

On another exciting note, Xury, while collecting food and wood around camp, found an old whip lying in the mud. I can only imagine some explorer of old must have lost it at some point, and through the years it became buried. It will certainly come in handy if we need to keep animals at bay. Perhaps the rain, though annoying, will continue to reveal more secrets of this island.

Of course the most exciting news of the day was that Friday and I were able to take the raft out and retrieve Jenny. She could barely move when we got to her, and it took some doing to get her on the raft, but when we finally got to shore and she opened those beautiful eyes, I felt a great sense of accomplishment.

Having had a successful day, I didn’t even feel that agitated that we didn’t have enough food for everyone. In fact, Jenny was the only one who ate tonight. I can certainly survive one night without eating if it means that Jenny might find her strength.

Though it was a good day, and the weather has been calm tonight, we are still ready to get off this island. All we need is some more wood, which we’ll gather tomorrow. There’s certainly plenty around our campsite. The one worry I have left are the many eyes that seem to be staring at us in the dark just beyond our camp. We really need to get that lifeboat built.

-Robinson

Day 6 – Wednesday, August 20, 1651
Woke up this morning to an incredible sight. A huge thunderstorm rolled in during the night, and the lightning hit some of the trees, igniting the whole area around our camp. I actually just burst out laughing. Jenny didn’t seem to see the humor.

The best part of the day was when I discovered that the fire had flushed out a heard of wild boar from their home. One of them lay on the ground, dead. Perhaps these are the beasts that have been stalking us. I gutted the boar and hung the meat up high so no other wild animals could reach it. As I write this I am rubbing my stomach. We certainly ate our fill tonight.

Jenny spent the day resting while I took Friday to get the last of the wood. Xury went on his own to gather wood as well. Luckily Friday and I were successful in our excursion, as Xury not only came back to camp empty handed, but somehow he managed to lose a finger.

Jenny certainly looks well after resting all day. There is a glow about her that I hadn’t noticed before, and it makes me feel even more confident that tomorrow we’ll be off, this island but a distant memory.

I am exhausted, and all night long Jenny has been eyeing me, so I’m going to head to bed. Who knows what is to come. The future is bright.

-Robinson

Day 7 – Thursday, August 21, 1651
When I stepped out of the shelter this morning, wet and cold once again from the nights rain—Friday never did finish that roof—I was pleased to see Friday already at work on the lifeboat. Xury joined him, while Jenny went to rest for the day. I took the opportunity to rest with her. All seemed to be going well until we noticed a strong storm coming in from the east. Perhaps another hurricane?

Xury and Friday sped up their pace while Jenny and I continued to rest. By noon the lifeboat was complete. It was time to go.

As we sit here floating in the ocean, the dog curled up in the corner, Xury steering the boat, Jenny resting her head on my lap, Friday singing his song once more—why did he come along again?—I know that we’re all going to get through this. Or at least I know I will. It’s going to be a long journey, and we don’t even know where we’re headed, and at some point, I’m going to need to eat.

-Robinson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indenture Forlife
msg tools
That was great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it!
badge
Enjoy... LIFE!
mbmb
sodapaps wrote:

Our plan is to first build a raft and rescue Jenny. Then we will build a lifeboat and leave this island. When Xury asked why not just build the life boat, leave the island, and pick up Jenny on the way, I reminded him that it is not his place to question.

The ever unanswered question
It would be too easy then, wouldn't it?
Always bugs me too, it feels so illogical.

What I tell myself is that until the lifeboat is built, Jenny would be dead, so you must rescue her before.

Good story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Baird
msg tools
Thanks! I love how each game creates its own story.Decided to write down everything that happened this game so I could record the story for my brother. He loves this game as well, and we always come up with funny reasons,why this die roll would have this effect, or why this token would work this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
maho wrote:
What I tell myself is that until the lifeboat is built, Jenny would be dead, so you must rescue her before.
Or you could say, that the rock, Jenny is seated on is to dangerous to approach with the big boat, you are building. (But the raft would be a vessel to small for going offshore.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.