5 Posts

Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space» Forums » Variants

Subject: Aliens Biting each other rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, we had a game where an alien player tried attacking, and killed another alien player, and that player had to sit out for a really long time.

Is it possible if the player that attacked and the player that was attacked are revealed, and get stunlock for a turn, bickering among themselves for a bit? So basically both players lose their next turn and stay in the same spot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ginn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I REALLY like this idea. I have no idea if it "breaks" the game or creates an unbalance, but I'm definitely going to try it next time I play. My experience with this game has been that the Aliens have a significant advantage over the Humans. I have yet to see a game where the Humans even get to an escape pod before being eaten.

I think this unique house rule gives the humans a fighting chance and allows them to capitalize on errors made by the Aliens.

The only problem that might arise is that this rule allows the Aliens to remain in the same spot for one turn. In most cases, this is probably not an issue, but on some of the smaller maps, it could be a problem.

I'm going to try it anyway. Thanks for the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
I had actually already had some ideas regarding this in an earlier thread, thinking about stunlocking both aliens for 1-2 turns, and other variations.

With some further thought though, I think the stunlock may need to last longer, i.e. 3-5 turns. Because the alien killed is originally out for the whole game, I think stunning for only 1 turn is not nearly harsh enough. Additionally, given that humans can only move 1 space at a time, being stunned for 1-2 turns means that the aliens could easily catch up to the humans (because aliens can move up to two spaces in a turn). Thus having the stun last 3-5 turns means the aliens have to be much more wary about when they attack/reveal.

Finally, I tried some of the smaller maps (e.g. Socrates, and another one that slips my mind) with 5 players, and without the original alien-death rule, there wasn't enough of a penalty for attacking so early and wildly. Stunlocking both players for 3-5 turns I think may be a good medium that still is harsh enough as the original rule that the aliens do have to be quite careful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3 turns stunlock was good, haven't tried with more turns yet, will see how it goes with more plays in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hwam Ai
msg tools
How did it go with longer stunlocks?

What if you had the attacking alien stunlocked for 4-5 rounds and the alien that was attacked stunlocked for 3? Or maybe the reverse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.