David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
So I'm a huge fan of this games components. But there are a few very small things that confuse me/annoy me. One of which being the extensive use of "STAR DESTROYER/S IN SPACE" as a source for a whole lot of imperial cards, but a much more jarring one is the art on Sabotage.

Sabotage shows the screen for the plan the rebels had to sabotage the Death Star's shield generator. Now, in game you can't sabotage remote systems, nor are imperial shield generators a thing (yet? :-/) and so the lore isn't even there. That sabotage mission was on a military base to destroy units. Not an industrial mission to destroy production capacity. Which is what the actual sabotage mission is.

And you don't sabotage the DS. You sabotage the planet. This is why there was that confusion on if you should be able to sabotage the DSUC's system to keep it from being placed. Because that's literally what the card shows.

I would have accepted a picture of the shield generator's satellite dish exploding. Or a bunch of rebel operatives setting charges on a space dock. Something more akin to what the card represents.

Yeah I know it's to late now and my complaints are moot. But when Rebellion Second Eddition comes out maybe consider having better art in a few areas.

Most of your art is great though. 8/10 would look at a picture of X-Wing attacking a space station again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you're right.

I was so impressed that these guys used art instead of screen stills I didn't notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you are taking this way too seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Honestly, as far as art goes, what bothers me most is how Dodonna looks way more like a cartoon character than any other leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Wow, you are taking this way too seriously.

STAR WARS IS SRIUS BISNES! >:-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
Sabotage shows the screen for the plan the rebels had to sabotage the Death Star's shield generator.

Aaaand that is why the card makes sense! It's a fantastic looking card too! Complaining about it is a bit much.

Quote:
I would have accepted a picture of the shield generator's satellite dish exploding.

Glad you would have accepted that . Granted, that would have looked pretty cool if done by a good artist, sure.

Quote:
Or a bunch of rebel operatives setting charges on a space dock. Something more akin to what the card represents.

Might have looked okay, depending on the artist, but a little boring too. I'd rather have the red Death Star Holo than that.

A lot of the time art is reused. FFG doesn't commission a new piece of art for every card, so they make do with new art coming in and older Star Wars art.

There are so many other cards to "complain" about if that's what you want to do. For card theme, Display of Power is odd.

It's a diplomatic card, and it shows a battle. No battle happens when you play the card. A menacing picture of the Imperial Fleet, or the Death Star, or a Legion of Troopers would have got the "sabre rattling" aspect of the card across better.

Cut Supply Lines is imho the ugliest card in the game. The art looks bad on it.

I nitpick at Rogue Squadron when I see it. The X-Wings are flying in some kind of base and they just look a little weird. Not even the Blue Angels fly like that.

Kind of wish there was a more kick ass looking card for the epic Rogue Squadron. When I think of them, I always think of them in Space too. But if the X-Wing positions on the card didn't look so goofy, and it was a well drawn attack run on a ground target, I don't think I'd care where they were, as long as it looked cool!

That being said, the art is great in this game. If I can only pick 1 card I find ugly, 1 card I find weird looking and 1 card I find not very thematic to what the card does, well that's not so bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
It's a diplomatic card, and it shows a battle. No battle happens when you play the card. A menacing picture of the Imperial Fleet, or the Death Star, or a Legion of Troopers would have got the "sabre rattling" aspect of the card across better.

While I see your point, and in terms of gameplay there is no battle, that doesn't mean that there wasn't some kind of skirmish somewhere. Games like this are obviously very abstracted, and there are battles going on all over, just not ones that end up being critical in the long run (which I'd say is what the game is meant to represent). So the card could be propaganda from a battle (shown or not) that is used to strike fear into their hearts, maybe forcibly displayed on everyone's holo-TV of "this is what awaits you if you don't stop dissenting."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
As others have said it is odd Display of Power doesn't require the presence of any imposing Imperial unit in the vicinity of the system like Rule By Fear does. I suppose the in-game explanation of this could be the diplomat broadcasting a vicious Imperial victory to a system's population.

But I agree they could have picked a different picture for sabotage. I'm not familiar with FFG's art but Han with a thermal detonator from the Battle of Endor would have been good.

I'm pretty sure Dodonna is supposed to be pictured for Plan the Assault but he looks off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mb
R2EQ wrote:

Cut Supply Lines is imho the ugliest card in the game. The art looks bad on it.

I nitpick at Rogue Squadron when I see it. The X-Wings are flying in some kind of base and they just look a little weird. Not even the Blue Angels fly like that.

Kind of wish there was a more kick ass looking card for the epic Rogue Squadron. When I think of them, I always think of them in Space too. But if the X-Wing positions on the card didn't look so goofy, and it was a well drawn attack run on a ground target, I don't think I'd care where they were, as long as it looked cool!

That being said, the art is great in this game. If I can only pick 1 card I find ugly, 1 card I find weird looking and 1 card I find not very thematic to what the card does, well that's not so bad!

The last two arts actually comes from the "Rogue Squadron" novel series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:
As others have said it is odd Display of Power doesn't require the presence of any imposing Imperial unit in the vicinity of the system like Rule By Fear does. I suppose the in-game explanation of this could be the diplomat broadcasting a vicious Imperial victory to a system's population.

But I agree they could have picked a different picture for sabotage. I'm not familiar with FFG's art but Han with a thermal detonator from the Battle of Endor would have been good.

I'm pretty sure Dodonna is supposed to be pictured for Plan the Assault but he looks off.

You are right, when I started reading this thread I went and found the art for the card:

and then googled the actor Ron Perlman:

Thats what Dondanna looks like on Plan the assault.
Han looks a little funny on his mission card too.

Besides that I think the art is great.
I agree that the picture on sabotage is "wrong" because sabotaging a remote system is disallowed, but i am ok with it.

Lastly I also noticed that the card art for a lot of the cards has previously been used in other FFG starwars games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:

You are right, when I started reading this thread I went and found the art for the card:

and then googled the actor Ron Perlman:

Thats what Dondanna looks like on Plan the assault.
Han looks a little funny on his mission card too.

You are totally right, I was wondering who the dodona card reminded me, now it is obvious :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
Heh, Ron Perlman is a great sci-fi/fantasy actor, he should have a role in the SW universe. If they're gonna throw silly voice cameos at Daniel Craig then Perlman deserves something more substantial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:
Heh, Ron Perlman is a great sci-fi/fantasy actor, he should have a role in the SW universe. If they're gonna throw silly voice cameos at Daniel Craig then Perlman deserves something more substantial.

Maybe he is going to be a slightly younger Dodanna in Rogue One, and FFG knew about this and they designed the card accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
jooice wrote:
Darth Coupon wrote:

Maybe he is going to be a slightly younger Dodanna in Rogue One, and FFG knew about this and they designed the card accordingly.

Nah unfortunately not. You can see Dodona hanging around the Rebel base in the background in one of the trailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Body
msg tools
The most glaring art fault in the game to me are the leader cards. They are cards that represent characters, and their backs feature a picture of...an empty freighter cockpit? And the only thing differentiating the two decks is the Empire one is slightly darker?

SO many new players constantly asking "what is this deck again?" when they glance at the featureless leader/action deck.

It should be something like the Rebel/Empire insignia with portraits of iconic characters around it. Luke/Leia/Han/Lando/Mon-Mothma around a Rebel insignia, Emperor/Vader/Tarkin/Boba around an Empire insignia.

Same thing about the backs to mission cards to a lesser extent. At least they have the insignias. But they need, at bare minimum, text on them that says "Missions", or more ideally some art depicting movie "mission" scenes. Again, it leads to a lot of new players situations where they're staring at 3 different decks asking "Which one is this again?"

The tactics deck should (ideally by scraped altogether) also have "Tactics" printed on the backs. I've had plenty of people mistake the leader deck for the space tactics deck since it's a spaceship cockpit.

Compare this to a game like Arkham Horror that has 4 times the number of decks yet avoids most confusion with easy to identify card backs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure printing text on the back was probably off the table from the beginning as it makes localization that much more difficult. (Yes, I know the text on the front has to change, but in theory, if an expansion is made or something, the card backs should look the same no matter what language, in case for whatever reason they don't localize the expansion the same way as the base game).

That all said, my 13-year-old has never had any trouble remembering which deck is which.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
fahbs2000 wrote:
The most glaring art fault in the game to me are the leader cards. They are cards that represent characters, and their backs feature a picture of...an empty freighter cockpit? And the only thing differentiating the two decks is the Empire one is slightly darker?

SO many new players constantly asking "what is this deck again?" when they glance at the featureless leader/action deck.

It should be something like the Rebel/Empire insignia with portraits of iconic characters around it. Luke/Leia/Han/Lando/Mon-Mothma around a Rebel insignia, Emperor/Vader/Tarkin/Boba around an Empire insignia.

Any fan of Star Wars would know the rebel deck shows the cockpit of the Millenium Falcon and the empire one shows a tie cockpit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.