Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so it seems Ares games decided to charge 79 USD + shipping for :

two gameboards, 64 x 88 cm each
hardcover edition of the “War of the Ring Second Edition” Game Rules
hardcover edition of the “War of the Ring Companion” Strategy Guide
two Reference and Gameplay Summary sheets
its a pass for me ..... for that kind of money you can easily get a top notch full board game...the price is too steep and I think Ares went a little too far with the " collectors" highly priced items...
I wonder what are your opinions in the matter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Bryan
United States
Empire
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree. I'd be willing to shell out $40 but $80 ?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the price is very fair for the (expected) high quality of the items. It's not simply two rulebooks and a game board. It is all very expensively produced. And yes, they are collector's item, not simply slightly enhanced game components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indeed 40 $ would be a reasonable and affordable price
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Turner
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
Roll for the Guru
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they actually spend the money to properly package, ship, and insure the thing then I'd say it's money well spent. This is one item I don't think anyone will tolerate a dent or ding on when it arrives. The box is huge, so it'll ship in an even larger box, it weighs quite a bit and it'll need top notch protection. Better safe than sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Anniversary edition that those things are otherwise a part of is $400. If you price it any cheaper, you're seriously undercutting those people who bought the full set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDoubleHelix wrote:

955 left in stock as of this post.

Although it does show stock numbers, I believe it is time limited (Oct 5th), rather then quantity. So don't miss out folks, not much time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt they'll close the preorder if it hasn't mostly sold out. I expect this preorder will stay open until they're down to their last 100 or so.

Personally, I only care about the board, as I still have a 1st edition with upgrade kit. I was hoping that they would offer the board separately. I guess I'll just wait for the Anniversary Edition to arrive and then buy someone's 2nd edition for a good price.

For this game, "Limited" edition seems to have a different connotation than most games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redeagle wrote:
I have to agree. I'd be willing to shell out $40 but $80 ?!?

Well, I cannot agree with $40 as that seems low considering the two hardcovers included. But I will not disagree that $80 plus shipping sounds a bit high. I could understand a total price of $75-80 including shipping, but at the end of the day this is a premium item designed to appeal to a small section of the market - I have a feeling they will sell out pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I went through most of the steps at Ares and then stopped cold.

I don't mind the $80 for books and boards, it is high but I'm sure the quality is there.

The kicker/thing that stopped me was the additional $40 for shipping.

So, $120 is definitely too high a price for me. Exchange rates put that at $158 CDN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$75 to ship to Singapore, so shipping costs are more than the cost of the product. Would have bought it if the shipping was more reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Maciw
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does 19% VAT Tax mean for me in the UK? Normally we pay 20% VAT, so will I still have to 1% VAT (plus £8 post office handling charge), or will I still have to pay 20% VAT (plus £8 post office handling charge), or will it just be delivered to my door with no extra cost?
It makes a big different on an already expensive product. Also if anyone in the UK just wants the manuals, I'm only after the board, so we could order 1 to share ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
Deus Vult
badge
Gloria in excelsis Deo
mbmbmbmbmb
It is unfortunate, but I am going to pass it as well. I'm living in Brazil, so in addition to 144 bucks for the books plus shipping, I'd still need to pay 60% VAT/Customs, so in the end I could end up paying something like U$ 230,00 for the set surprise

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maciwt wrote:
What does 19% VAT Tax mean for me in the UK?

That price is, as stated, for EU residents. Despite the referendum vote you're still, for the time being, an EU resident, so the price you see is the price you pay. (And no £8 customs charge)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Maciw
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:

That price is, as stated, for EU residents. Despite the referendum vote you're still, for the time being, an EU resident, so the price you see is the price you pay. (And no £8 customs charge)

Cheers John,
I've ordered it. I'm a first edition owner so really wanted the bigger board. It was ordering in $ on the screen that confused me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cleland
Canada
Carlisle
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robert t wrote:
Well, I went through most of the steps at Ares and then stopped cold.

I don't mind the $80 for books and boards, it is high but I'm sure the quality is there.

The kicker/thing that stopped me was the additional $40 for shipping.

So, $120 is definitely too high a price for me. Exchange rates put that at $158 CDN.

Thanks for doing the work on this as I was thinking of buying. I'll put the 80$ in my sock drawer to stash away until a final deluxe edition of wotr is offered after expansion 3

Love this game so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome.
Sent an e-mail to see if group buying was an option to reduce shipping.
Don't know if I'll get a response in time.
We shall see.
Will post when I hear anything.
Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Seghillian wrote:
maciwt wrote:
What does 19% VAT Tax mean for me in the UK?

Yeah 19% is the VAT they're pre-paying to ship to (presumably) Germany. Once it's in the EU and VAT has been paid somewhere, there are no further charges.

What's the final shipped price to the UK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Maciw
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
£80.40 showing on my Barclaycard
It's a lot but I would have to pay £60-£70 for a 2nd edition, game with the newer map (I have first edition with the upgraded cards). This way I use my first edition figures, and get a nice big new map and an up to date rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glad I saw this. Just ordered it. I liked the idea of anniversary edition, but really only wanted the game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Helsby
Australia
Bedford
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I agree. I was ok with the price of the components but $75 shipping to Australia made the decision for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does anyone know exactly what is different about the board other than being bigger?

I'm referring to the reference to "UV and hot foil printing" on the board. Is the text that's usually yellowish gold foil on this board? And what's the UV referring to? My first thought with that acronym is Ultra Violet, but how and why does one print in/using UV?

Or is it some special technique that prevents UV light from fading the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Does anyone know exactly what is different about the board other than being bigger?

I'm referring to the reference to "UV and hot foil printing" on the board. Is the text that's usually yellowish gold foil on this board? And what's the UV referring to? My first thought with that acronym is Ultra Violet, but how and why does one print in/using UV?

UV printing is a process in which a coating is applied that protects from UV damage. But the side effect is you get a smooth, gloss or semi-gloss finish depending on what coating you use. So it can be used to make certain areas of the board different. Maybe water or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
InkSplat wrote:
Orion3T wrote:

UV printing is a process in which a coating is applied that protects from UV damage. But the side effect is you get a smooth, gloss or semi-gloss finish depending on what coating you use. So it can be used to make certain areas of the board different. Maybe water or something?

OK, so it could be either for special appearance or just to protect the board? Good to know.

Any ideas on the 'hot foil' part? I would guess this means some parts are printed in gold rather than yellow etc.

Wish they would post a close-up as they must have samples available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe answering my own question but is it a specific type of foil stamping?

Either way it sounds like the board is a bit more fancy in appearance than the standard one, as well as being bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.