Cottage Garden» Forums » General

Subject: Amount of interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
One of the things I liked about Patchwork was that while they may have not have been direct conflict, there was still a considerable amount of interactions (buying a patch your opponent really needs, trying to time things so that they can't afford patches and so would have to waste time, etc.). As one of the few games my mom will play, I was really looking forward to Cottage Garden

However, after reading the game preview blog ( Game Preview: SPIEL 2016 — Cottage Garden, or Cornering the Flower Market ), it seems that this game is VERY multiplayer-solitaire, which I generally don't care for. Have I missed/misinterpreted something, or is there pretty much zero ways to meaningfully affect what your opponent(s) can do? (please note that I'm not complaining if it is multiplayer-solitaire, it just doesn't suit my taste)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who's also only read the rules, I think there will be some meaningful interaction on the tile selection board. Without playing, it's impossible to tell, but recall that when players complete their board, the tiles on the board are recycled in whatever order that player wants. No clue how often the tiles cycle, but being able to make some tiles show up early or late should cause some neat decisions. Also, the select board rows only fill for free only fill when they have only 1 or 2 tiles on them. I would think using that to either slow down or speed up new tiles will also create some interesting decisions spaces.

I do think it's hard to say how meaningful the interaction will be until we play it. I read the Patchwork rules before playing it and didn't see it as remotely as strategic and deep as it is. Personally, I can't visualize the interactions between the tiles, the player boards, and the selection board. At this point, it remains one of the games I'm most looking forward to (and I rate Patchwork a 10 and one of the more interactive titles I play).

Also, the rules are available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Thanks, I didn't realize the English rules were available I've read them, and while it looks the amount of interaction I would like (where you can make plans to directly affect someone) is not really there, I still like the jigsaw nature of it. Tbh, I'll probably still end up getting it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Baier
Germany
flag msg tools
I kinda agree with you. I very much enjoyed the back and forth the fight for buttons created in Patchwork. This game seems much more mellow. The fight for tiles does not seem as interesting in this one, but maybe the way the scoring works is the whole secret to it. Might only be a thing that really works once you play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
Mashpotassium wrote:
Thanks, I didn't realize the English rules were available I've read them, and while it looks the amount of interaction I would like (where you can make plans to directly affect someone) is not really there, I still like the jigsaw nature of it. Tbh, I'll probably still end up getting it

The amount of interaction is pretty limited. The only times when you could mess with someone is by:
- getting your cube in the 20's space first or second to score a beehive
- trigger a early refill by using a cat token
- scoring a flower bed early by using cats and getting the flower bed that is in the reserve

Or you could play very casual and suggest moves for the other player. I find that this last option helps if I'm playing against my wife and still want to have a enjoyable evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.