stuart cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
Russian supply rules push Russian forces into assault upon the shoulders of the German broken line!
Theres a big hole but, apart from Russian adhoc/ersatz forces, immune from supply considerations and generated from the liberation of towns, no other Russian formations can go west!
So the game breaks down into the initial Russian assault breaking the German front and then moving southwest and northwest, but not west!!!!
The supply rules, slow in moving westward, drag the Russian juggernaut onto the German shoulders, usually the strongest part of the German line?

The majority of initial German replacements go into ersatz garrison units holding the towns and cities to the west of the Russian advance thereby nullifying Russian ersatz units intent on grabbing free cities and towns!!!

Seems to me a big hole should create a greater panic for the German side than the forced redeployment of ersatz units to the west?

Ersatz=universal bandaid? lol

cheers Stu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Antoine
Belgium
Floriffoux
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Stuart,

I can't answer your specific questions as I've never played the game, but I believe you should ask Paul Blanchard for his revisited game version: He very kindly sent it to me when I asked for it: Paul Blanchard's mail address: blanchard26@mchsi.com

Have you checked the Lost Victory folder on CSW? May be you'll have some answers there...

I'm just trying to help.

Sincerely,

Pascal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
Ok pascal--thanks. I shall check the site. I have played this game solitaire 5 or 6 times, I still like GMT's efforts. My concerns were generated by situations that arose in play. cheers Stu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thing looks good but turns out to be fatally flawed for many reasons. When we submitted into consim and direct to GMT was told the designer no longer worked for them and they could not answer any questions. One play and then the scrap heap. Thanks GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Antoine
Belgium
Floriffoux
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,

That's what I red on the game, but Paul claimed he solved the problems with his revisited version. I have not tried it yet but I believe it's worth a try.

Pascal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Marsh
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested in this game, I would like to know what others who have played the game think about it. Anything that can be added would help me figure out if I should find a copy, I'm almost out of room for games so I must choose wisely, or face the dread wife!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgtstinky wrote:
I'm very interested in this game, I would like to know what others who have played the game think about it. Anything that can be added would help me figure out if I should find a copy, I'm almost out of room for games so I must choose wisely, or face the dread wife!

Read above. Unplayable mess. I can sell you mine played once. The fact that this thing has a rating of 6.9, I rated it 1, shows that people that rated it could not have possibly played it. If the designer has a fix, why doesn't he just post it here or on ConsimWorld?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pascal157 wrote:
Hello Stuart,

I can't answer your specific questions as I've never played the game, but I believe you should ask Paul Blanchard for his revisited game version: He very kindly sent it to me when I asked for it: Paul Blanchard's mail address: blanchard26@mchsi.com

Have you checked the Lost Victory folder on CSW? May be you'll have some answers there...

I'm just trying to help.

Sincerely,

Pascal

Wait a minute. Who in the hell is Paul Blanchard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Blanchard is a regular on CSW and his fix is a good one.

As for people rating high they may just like the game, and/or play with the fix.
Either way a bit arrogant to condemn folks because they like a game you don't.

As for David Ritchie not posting/responding I have heard that he has withdrawn from the hobby because of serious ill health in the family - don't be so quick to condemnwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David James Ritchie passed away in 2009
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty good reason not to respond I'd say.

Michael c - please engage brain before opening mouth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the opening poster the Soviet's did have huge supply and replacement problems during this time frame. I have the game but have not played it. Can you push out of supply?

I posted two books here that I recommend for a good look at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zaarin7 wrote:
To the opening poster the Soviet's did have huge supply and replacement problems during this time frame. I have the game but have not played it. Can you push out of supply?

I posted two books here that I recommend for a good look at this time.

Yes, you can operate out of supply, just not very effectively. It is, however, a viable strategy to force the German to react to the threatening of his supply lines.

The one thing we found was that if the German's played aggressively forward, they could stem the oncoming rush of forces, and the German's faster replacement rate then kicked in to allow them to stabilize the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter rinaldi
United States
natchez
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
fixes.

the crt allows for units to almost always to retreat instead of taking losses. that generally prevents breakthroughs by both sides. a flaw to the game.

infantry and motorized in combat give column shifts, whereas pure tank only die roll modifiers. that makes a german panzer grenadier more powerful than it should be. change from column shifts to die roll modifiers. (there's no way a weak Russian infantry division should pound a panzer with 3 column shifts) also the crt is not bloody enough. so use the same crt and require the first step loss to mandatorily taking by each side. if the crt has a bold result, all results to be in step losses. surviving units can advance or retreat at their option defender first, attacker second. also round off attack odds, a 20-11 becomes a 2-1

exploitation advance ---all motorized can advance two spaces (one into the vacated space, one more into the next space)after combat, ignore zoc

if you feel like both sides are suffering too many losses, put in a reconstitute rule (after battle sides would gather their troops and equipment together to reform units. since each turn represents three days...at the end of the turn, figure up the infantry, motorized and panzer losses for the day in defense factors and give each side 20% of those defense factors by type of unit to be awarded as replacements at the end of the next day. must come from eliminated or reduced units.
remainders can be carried over day to day.

if you want a simpler crt...use the Anzio one, send me an email if you need the Anzio crt (missloumagazine@peoplepc.com).

this is a very good game...but with so many units in so short a space, it's hard for the game as designed to imitate the breakthroughs that motorized units would normally develop. the above fixes might help you.
peter rinaldi natchez ms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.