Java» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Less AP Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sandro Gia
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mb
Does anybody know why a player has 6 AP on his turn? Why not more like 10 AP (Tikal) or less than 6 AP?
I was wondering if we can reduce the 6 AP to 4 AP or 3 AP, so that there is less Analysis Paralysis.
I think this will reduce also the playing time.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sandrgia wrote:
Does anybody know why a player has 6 AP on his turn? Why not more like 10 AP (Tikal) or less than 6 AP?
I was wondering if we can reduce the 6 AP to 4 AP or 3 AP, so that there is less Analysis Paralysis.
I think this will reduce also the playing time.

What do you think?

I think it will make turns too short to accomplish anything. Nearly anything you want to do in this game can be easily blocked or undone by your opponents so you need to work in large enough bursts to reach your objective before anyone has a chance to do something about it.

You're never going to get any kind of decent sized lake with only 3 or 4 AP to spend, for instance. So the whole interesting lake mechanic which establishes a base topography of the board will be gone.

The mask trilogy is really not a good choice for groups which have extreme AP and simple tweaks would not address that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Unlike Tikal Java and Mexica don't have a graded action cost: all are 1 AP. You notice the difference quite clearly: in Tikal 1 AP spent on movement really doesn't amount to much, especially if there are stones to cross. Java only charges AP if a pawn enters a different area type, making large leaps much easier. In other words: 1 Tikal-AP does not have the same action potential as 1 Java-AP, and the games have been adjusted accordingly.

Like Dave I don't recommend lowering the amount of AP to reduce analysis paralysis. The game has been designed for use with 6 AP: lower that and you change more than you bargained for. If a.p. is a problem, then the best remedy is simply to play a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.