Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Paint guides from the paint sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I'm a beginner painter, having only practice painted a few spare old warhammer minis before finally starting my SOB minis. I think I have enough confidence now to a good job.

However, I still like to have the paint guides, although I only have the ones for all the expansion models... I think the guides for the core set models where only in the 2 paint sets from army painter..
However I already have alot of citadel Paints and do not feel like doubling up on paints just for the guides... Does anyone have these paint guides they could share? Or have a good online resource for painting the core minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Those paint guides only had 1 or 2 examples, not the whole series of miniatures sadly.

I just used the illustrations as a guide. As for the legs, I made it up at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guides in Army Painter sets are quite useless since they cover just 2 monsters and 2 heroes.

I have even contacted Army Painter guys and asked if they will make any other guides as they did for Zombicide, and then answered that not, since FFP decided not to pay for it.
One more really bad decision from FFP side

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, that's dissapointing... Thank god i didnt buy the sets then... ok thanks Îll have to use my very lacking imagination then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This site has quite good painting guides for SoB http://miniatyrmannen.blogspot.ru/search/label/Brimstone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Here's another great resource for beginning (and experienced) painters:
[url]http://www.reapermini.com/Paints/corecolors[\url]

The page doesn't make it quite as explicit as it should be, but each row presents the shade, base tone, and highlight for a color.

If you are new, you might not realize how many different hues there are to a given color, and how they don't always match.

Also, thank you for reminding me of the phrase, "Bob Lobaw Lobs Law Bomb".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can share two tips with you from my own experience:

1.) Try looking for official illustrations (like concept art) of the figures. That will give you color schemes.

2.) Look at what other painters have done. If you don't like what you find on BGG in the forums, you can use a search engine like Google, Bing, etc. to see what they turn up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
I can share two tips with you from my own experience:

1.) Try looking for official illustrations (like concept art) of the figures. That will give you color schemes.

2.) Look at what other painters have done. If you don't like what you find on BGG in the forums, you can use a search engine like Google, Bing, etc. to see what they turn up.

This.

I've gotten a lot of inspiration from the Guild Painting service. Check them out on Facebook. They've got a few hundred of the SoB minis painted.

Also this tutorial alone made me a much better painter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj9XNbwfwHo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Haddon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can look here for further inspiration:

https://www.facebook.com/GuildPaintingService/photos/?tab=al...

They are the professional painters that FFP hired to do a bunch of their minis. There is a SoB photo album plus I think there are more SoB pictures in an uncatagorized photo bucket.

Edit: sorry, didn't see that the previous post mentioned Guild Painting already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started to upload my paint schemes for anyone interested (using Games Workshop Paints):

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/213774/shadows-brimstone-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I go on Google and do all kinds of searches around the minis I'm going to paint and look for good ideas. I'm not an artist (at least not at painting) and I'm always trying to go to school on other people's great painting ideas. Then I copy all the pictures of the minis that look good and use them as guides. It works well for non-obscure games. SoB has LOTS of ideas out there on the internet.

For those of you who are new to this having to paint up the games you buy, there are some common, easy painting techniques that will get you a long way such as washes and dry brushing. Then all you need is experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all of your ideas and suggestions!
I finally finished my first mini!
What do you guys think?
Any tips on what I did wrong?
I'm pretty happy for my first try, though I know I'll look back and find them ugly in a few years I'm sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That bad huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I think you hit a lull or are just posting in the wrong thread. There are several other threads where people are posting model pictures. You'll probably get more replies if you post in one of those or start your own instead of a thread on guides.

As for you work, I like them! I think they're good! And while you probably will look back on them if you keep painting and think how much more you can do, I'd be more than happy to have those on my table! You've paid attention to the details and made them obvious without making the mistake of isolating each feature. Keep it up! Post more in some one of the other threads!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! I've finished the spiders now I'll post them on the other threads...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.