Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This could definitely work for more than 2 players as well, but I think it would work fairly well with 2. I'm not a big fan of open-drafts with 2 players (ie. 7 Wonders Duel).

Essentially, it would be normal drafting, but, at the beginning of your turn, you would draw a card to add to your hand, choose 1 card to play, and choose 1 card to discard. Then pass your hand.

It's simple, but it creates a situation where you're not seeing the exact same hand every other round, and you can still surprise your opponent with something they haven't seen yet. But of course that new card you draw isn't always gonna be the best option for you, and it might not always be the best option to discard either.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, seems fine. I like that it gives you the opportunity to deny cards to your opponent without being forced to take them yourself in a potentially suboptimal move... but then again, that's an intended tense choice caused by a more traditional draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite 2p draft variant comes from Magic.surprise

1. Shuffle the set of cards to be drafted.

2. Draw 3 cards facedown and put one each into 3 separate piles that are in order, 1, 2, 3.

3. The current player looks at the card in pile 1 and either takes that card and replaces it with a new facedown card, or puts it back and adds another face down card to pile 1.

4. If the current player passed on pile 1 and added a card to it, they move to pile 2 and can make the same choice. And the same with pile 3.

5. If the current player passed on all 3 piles, they draft the top card of the deck.

6. After the current player has taken a pile, or the top card, it is the other players turn.

7. Repeat.

It creates an interesting dynamic and push your luck element. You know about half the cards your opponent gets. And you can gamble by purposely not taking a pile to see if you can add more cards to it before your opponent takes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understood correctly, Inis does something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 7 Wonders variant for 2 players. And it's close to that draw 1, play 1, discard 1 concept... except the "discarded" card in the 7 Wonders variant goes to a pseudo 3rd Civ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many cards do you start with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bill437 wrote:
How many cards do you start with?

I don't know yet. I'm thinking 7 or 8. Why? You still go through your hand at the normal rate (1 less card each turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I think one of the things drafting is meant to do is decrease the role luck has in determining who wins. I think this would put too much back in for my taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
I guess I think one of the things drafting is meant to do is decrease the role luck has in determining who wins. I think this would put too much back in for my taste.

That's fair, but I like the idea of constantly adding new cards to the mix. Keeps it fresh and interesting, in my opinion. While I have nothing against normal drafting, I think for certain games, this could work quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.