Welcome Back to the Dungeon» Forums » General

Subject: different card back? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AY Ronny
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am so sad that this standalone expansion has different card back from the base game, which not allow me to use monsters from base set with special monsters.

The icons on the monster cards are important. I wish I can use those base set monster cards when I use heroes of the base set and now the card back seems to prevent me from doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always spend a couple bucks for some card sleeves with an opaque back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AY Ronny
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fair point.

But the decision of using different card back for different expansion is unfathomable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, that stops me from buying it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Munoz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. That was a bad decision...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were a bit bugged by this at first too, but we made many playtesting sessions, and in the end we realized it really didn't matter: the symbols are only small reminders and are available on the player aids, and all the effects are described on the equipment tiles. We even found it was quite handy to sort out the cards from both games when they accidentally got shuffled together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's unfortunate. If sorting was the real concern I would've thought that an icon on the front of the card would've been better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Bitsch
France
flag msg tools
Donkler wrote:
You can always spend a couple bucks for some card sleeves with an opaque back.

+1

No problem, I use sleeves anyway ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of card backs, should we shuffle all the monsters together or does that break the game? Example, is it okay to have 4 vampires or 2 dragons in the same dungeon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
Regardless of card backs, should we shuffle all the monsters together or does that break the game? Example, is it okay to have 4 vampires or 2 dragons in the same dungeon?
I wouldn't recommend it! It's hard enough to try and guess what could be in the Dungeon, so if you double the cards, it would become just impossible… shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I am not a fan of opaque sleeves because I'd prefer to appreciate the effort that went into the artwork that was chosen for the card backs in the first place. Moreover, it seems an odd choice to have added the production expense of a whole new set of images (which IMHO are goofier-looking and inferior to the original game) when the previous deck could simply have been reprinted with the inclusion of the new monsters as a bonus, and all of it still being universally compatible.

Seriously a head-scratcher, guys, whatever the justification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
when the previous deck could simply have been reprinted with the inclusion of the new monsters as a bonus, and all of it still being universally compatible.
Well, not really, as the new heroes have new powers, and new symbols! So we needed new monster cards to play the game as a standalone. But we didn't want players to think the deck were to be shuffled together. So we asked the same artist to make alternate versions of the same monsters, with a new card back. And we included player aids to help players with the new effects and the special monsters.
I don't know if we made the best choice, but I can't see better one for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.