flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Regarding the German phase:

What is the difference between: "so that the moving groups can add
Germanic Control (so, not yet German-Controlled" OR "then (among
such Regions if possible, otherwise among others) Regions that are
Controlled by player Factions"......?

Then the enlist question: can someone explain the example in the rulebook page 13? They choose rally and enlist, they place 2 German warbands. To my opinion this is a different explanation of the first option of the enlist command.

gr,
Kenny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeeKenny wrote:
Hello,

Regarding the German phase:

What is the difference between: "so that the moving groups can add
Germanic Control (so, not yet German-Controlled" OR "then (among
such Regions if possible, otherwise among others) Regions that are
Controlled by player Factions"......?
I'm not sure what you mean by "difference". They are different priorities, the first one taking precedence.
Basically you try to pick a destination where the marching group can take control. If more than one is possible, prioritize those currently controlled by players.
If there is no region where the Germans can take control then send them to any other region, again prioritizing regions controlled by players.

As always the final tie breaker is random selection.

Quote:
Then the enlist question: can someone explain the example in the rulebook page 13? They choose rally and enlist, they place 2 German warbands. To my opinion this is a different explanation of the first option of the enlist command.

gr,
Kenny.
I'm not sure I remember that example, hopefully somebody else can help you with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second quesution is answered here: Belgae enlist option
In the example, Orange ally discs rally black warbands because they were orange during that command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried to find the example in the playbook, but can't find it

Page 13 has a Roman and Arverni command, nothing for the Belgae and skimming the rest doesn't turn up a rally/enlist either.

Can you quote the exact text here? I might be able to explain it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re Niko

GeeKenny was referring to the example in rulebook 4.5.1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:
Re Niko

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Don't know how I misread rule book as playbook...

The best I could do to explain it is repeat your previous post. The example illustrates the first option correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeeKenny GeeKenny
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
hokuto_su wrote:
Re Niko

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Don't know how I misread rule book as playbook...

The best I could do to explain it is repeat your previous post. The example illustrates the first option correctly.

Hello,

Thanks for the discussion...to my opinion "placing the 2 German Warbands" is not in line with the rulebook and the way Volko explains the first option in the other topic of the Enlist Command.

With the first option you can use them to get control combined with your own Belgic warbands or use them as Belgic warbands in a combined attack.

To me it is still not clear why it is allowed to place German Warbands in that area.
It would be helpful if Volko could react to this topic again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeeKenny wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
hokuto_su wrote:
Re Niko

Hello,

Thanks for the discussion...to my opinion "placing the 2 German Warbands" is not in line with the rulebook and the way Volko explains the first option in the other topic of the Enlist Command.

With the first option you can use them to get control combined with your own Belgic warbands or use them as Belgic warbands in a combined attack.

To me it is still not clear why it is allowed to place German Warbands in that area.
It would be helpful if Volko could react to this topic again.
I agree that a reply from Volko would probably be most helpful.

The example is right definitely right though; the German warbands within one region are treated as Belgae, including for placing new warbands as part of rally (as per 4.5.1)
Just because the warbands don't start in that region when the command is executed doesn't mean that they don't get to be treated as Belgae (This might be badly worded, I'm not saying that marching German warbands from two regions away is allowed, but placing warbands from off map to within one region is allowed). Since normally Belgae warbands would be placed German warbands can be placed instead.

The options you list are correct, but placing German warbands instead of Belgae is another option that enlisting can be used for. Another option would be marching the Germans together with Belgic warbands.

Note that Volko has previously provided clarification for a similar case where Aedui and Romans can treat warbands/auxilia as the pieces of the other faction, including when placing new pieces: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23106429#23106429

This is basically the same as Enlist in so far that both allow treating pieces X temporarily pieces Z and this allows placing pieces X instead of Z when rallying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Caetano
msg tools
mbmb
I know the thread is old but I don't like seeing rules questions unanswered

GeeKenny wrote:

This is the relevant rulebook excerpt:

in the affected Regions desired, the accompanying Belgic Command treats Germanic Warbands (black) as if they were Belgic Warbands (yellow), including for placing new Warbands by Rally (...)

Note that placing new warbands is an explicit example, and it's mentioned in addition to "determining Belgic Control".

The example shows 2 Belgic allies in Nervii region and 1 in Treveri. So the Belgic could Rally in those regions, placing 2 yellow warbands in Nervii and 1 in Treveri -- this is simply the Belgic Rally without any Special Activity.

Since Ambiorix is in Nervii and both Nervii and Treveri are adjacent to Germania, both can be affected by Enlist. So if the Belgic choose to Enlist and Rally then they can take some black warbands and use them for the rally in Nervii and Treveri, as if they were yellow warbands.

Perhaps you interpreted the rulebook text as: "black warbands that are in the affected areas can be treated as yellow". It's true that those black warbands aren't in the affected regions; they of course come from the Germanic Available Forces area. But the rulebook doesn't say that only warbands that are already there are affected (*). It's the regions that are affected. As long as the areas selected for the Command and affected by Enlist are concerned, Germanic warbands are as good as yellow; including warbands that are to be placed.

I hope it's clearer now.

(*) unfortunately Volko's comment in the other thread seems to imply so; fortunately the rulebook text + examples are unambiguous, if not immediately clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.