United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Twitter @kyleglyn reddit /u/kyleglyn
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background

I'm looking to prioritize my next order of games, or possibly set up a list of gift ideas for Christmas.

I play games about 2-3 times per week, once or twice with my wife and once or twice with my gaming group of friends. On holidays or other special occasions I'll play with parents, in-laws, extended family, or just some friends I don't see as often. In most cases, we're typically playing one game per night but occasionally we'll squeeze in a second short game.

My taste is almost entirely on the Euro side. I do enjoy Blood Rage which my friend owns, but beyond that I haven't really tried many Ameritrash games. I rarely play any games that aren't in my collection. I'm not a fan of coop games after having played many nights of Sentinels of the Multiverse, though I don't have any experience with them beyond that. I like light weight games for a more casual evening, but generally prefer anything equivalent to or heavier than Cosmic Encounter or Istanbul.

My wife tends to prefer anything lighter than Agricola. She also doesn't like coop games. She likes games that are "elegant", where a deep challenge comes without added complexity. I think Arboretum is an excellent example of this. Games with too much text are a big turn-off for her.

My gaming group has very similar taste to me. Lucky for me, since I am the only one buying games for us to play. Recently they've suggested a desire to stick with a specific game until we have a better grasp on it, as opposed to rotating through the entire collection. I've started buying more expansions instead of base games to appease this aspect of our group while still satisfying my need to collect.

Lastly, the non-gamers in my life have all been happy with my choices so far and generally aren't picky. For as often as I get to play with them, I'm pretty happy with where the collection currently sits.

My Collection

Below I've listed out my full collection. They're categorized by the group of people I would play them with, and then sorted with my favorite on top and least favorite on bottom.

Games with my wife
Castles of Burgundy
Five Tribes
Arboretum
Hive
Carcassonne - with first two expansions
Splendor

Games with my wife and gaming friends
Cosmic Encounter - with all expansions
Roll for the Galaxy - with Ambition
Istanbul - with Mocha & Baksheesh
Libertalia
The Cave
Keyflower- haven't played yet
Hansa Teutonica - haven't played yet

Heavy games with gaming friends only
Agricola - have FotM but haven't tried it yet
Kanban
Lewis & Clark
Panamax - haven't played yet

Lighter games with family, non-gamers, or just large groups
Captain Sonar
The Resistance
Between Two Cities
Sheriff of Nottingham
New York 1901
Robo Rally

Games I don't really enjoy in my collection
BattleCON: War of Indines
Dominion

Wishlist

I've listed out the games in my BGG priority 1 and 2 categories and somewhat sorted them from most wanted to least within each category. Overall, I'm looking to find games that "fill a gap" in my collection. That gap might be a mechanic, a combined duration/weight/player count rating, or a game I haven't been able to take my eye off of for a while. I don't expect to buy anything before Christmas, but you know what they say about a fool and his money. Hopefully these end up on a Secret Santa Amazon list in a few months.

Must have
Kemet - I have no dudes on a map game, but I want to relive childhood Risk without all the things that make Risk bad.
Inis - I can't decide between this and Kemet. Maybe both, which might be the closest thing to duplication I have.
Twilight Struggle - I've recently realized how great this game sounds. Considering 13 Days instead so that I can play it more often.
Glass Road - Another mid-weight 1 hour game to play with my wife. I feel we're limited on choices currently.
Terra Mystica - I probably don't know enough about it to put it this high, but it seems like I'd like it.

Must have (expansions)
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Eons - One of my top 3 games, already have the other expansions.
Istanbul: Brief & Siegel - The first expansion impressed me a lot. I think this one will also.

Love to have
Tzolk'in - Only a Love to have because I've already got Agricola and Kanban. My collection doesn't seem big enough for all 3 yet.
Patchwork - This just looks fun. I could see us playing this a lot when we don't have time for Burgundy.
Dungeon Petz - Same as Tzolk'in
Troyes - I've forgotten a lot of the details, but at one time I really wanted this one. I think I still do.

Final Thoughts

I've built this collection over about 2 years. Buying and playing has accelerated in the last six months. I'm probably going to pump the brakes a bit as I hit that point where I can't play my entire collection often enough and games sit unopened for too long. Almost all the games in my Must have list seem to "fill a gap", with maybe the exception of Glass Road. I think I could be content for a good while if I grabbed all or most of those for Christmas and then didn't buy anything new for a while. Prove me wrong! Fuel my addiction! Or just recommend your favorite game that I've overlooked. Whatever you do, thanks for reading this far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Englewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kyle,

I'm afraid I can only answer for 2 of these games: Patchwork and Twilight Struggle.

Patchwork may be the perfect game for you and your wife. It's simple, elegant, and plays pretty quickly; it's right up her alley in terms of the preferences you listed. It deserves the love it gets, IMO. Just so you're aware, Rosenberg has a similar game releasing soon that plays up to 4: Cottage Garden. I haven't looked into it much, but the theme may be more accessible for some than quilting.

Twilight Struggle. My perfect game. I love card driven wargames, and the theme on this one is excellent. It's tense and incredibly deep, all without being terribly complex. The biggest worry here is figuring out if you think it'll garner interest from anyone else. The theme isn't for everyone, it's political and rich with history. That's a big draw for some, not so much for others. The game can be a commitment. It can take around 3 hours, maybe less once you get a feel for the gameplay. My first game took 4, and we only played 6 turns (game ended in nuclear suicide). The game really benefits from repeated plays; the more experienced you are, the better it is. It is absolutely worth that commitment, but I'd hate for you to buy a game that won't hit the table.

Since it only plays 2, you have to figure out if any gaming buddy or your wife may have interest in playing. It's in the wargame category here on BGG, even if others argue it shouldn't be, and they're not for everyone. Like you said: 13 Days is another choice if you don't think it will get to the table. It sounds like you appreciate the subject matter, at least. I've read good things about it, and it could eventually lead to Twilight Struggle!

Good luck, and it looks like you've already done your research! That's your best weapon when buying games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork vs Cottage Garden

tucker8807 wrote:
Patchwork may be the perfect game for you and your wife. It's simple, elegant, and plays pretty quickly; it's right up her alley in terms of the preferences you listed. It deserves the love it gets, IMO. Just so you're aware, Rosenberg has a similar game releasing soon that plays up to 4: Cottage Garden. I haven't looked into it much, but the theme may be more accessible for some than quilting.

Cottage Garden looks very interesting! But there's so little info available. If anything, seeing this game makes me lean more towards holding off on Patchwork. I do like the garden theme better and having the option of 3 or 4 players would be nice.

Twilight Struggle vs 13 Days

tucker8807 wrote:
Twilight Struggle. My perfect game. I love card driven wargames, and the theme on this one is excellent. It's tense and incredibly deep, all without being terribly complex. The biggest worry here is figuring out if you think it'll garner interest from anyone else. The theme isn't for everyone, it's political and rich with history. That's a big draw for some, not so much for others. The game can be a commitment. It can take around 3 hours, maybe less once you get a feel for the gameplay. My first game took 4, and we only played 6 turns (game ended in nuclear suicide). The game really benefits from repeated plays; the more experienced you are, the better it is. It is absolutely worth that commitment, but I'd hate for you to buy a game that won't hit the table.

Since it only plays 2, you have to figure out if any gaming buddy or your wife may have interest in playing. It's in the wargame category here on BGG, even if others argue it shouldn't be, and they're not for everyone. Like you said: 13 Days is another choice if you don't think it will get to the table. It sounds like you appreciate the subject matter, at least. I've read good things about it, and it could eventually lead to Twilight Struggle!

Everything about this looks awesome to me. The historical aspect, the tension, the direct interaction. 3 hours is about the limit of how long a game should take for me. We often play during the week.

I know my wife won't play, but I've got some friends who I think would be interested. My current heavy 2 player game is Agricola, but I haven't decided what my ideal player count for that game is yet. I feel like I'm settling if I get the watered down version of Twilight Struggle. That sounds irrational when I type it. I guess it's the same reason I skipped Stone Age or Viticulture and went straight for Agricola. So far, my gut is telling me to go big or go home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the few who found Patchwork underwhelming. I would grab Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small every time instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kyleglyn wrote:
Background

I'm looking to prioritize my next order of games, or possibly set up a list of gift ideas for Christmas.

I play games about 2-3 times per week, once or twice with my wife and once or twice with my gaming group of friends. On holidays or other special occasions I'll play with parents, in-laws, extended family, or just some friends I don't see as often. In most cases, we're typically playing one game per night but occasionally we'll squeeze in a second short game.

My taste is almost entirely on the Euro side. I do enjoy Blood Rage which my friend owns, but beyond that I haven't really tried many Ameritrash games. I rarely play any games that aren't in my collection. I'm not a fan of coop games after having played many nights of Sentinels of the Multiverse, though I don't have any experience with them beyond that. I like light weight games for a more casual evening, but generally prefer anything equivalent to or heavier than Cosmic Encounter or Istanbul.

My wife tends to prefer anything lighter than Agricola. She also doesn't like coop games. She likes games that are "elegant", where a deep challenge comes without added complexity. I think Arboretum is an excellent example of this. Games with too much text are a big turn-off for her.

My gaming group has very similar taste to me. Lucky for me, since I am the only one buying games for us to play. Recently they've suggested a desire to stick with a specific game until we have a better grasp on it, as opposed to rotating through the entire collection. I've started buying more expansions instead of base games to appease this aspect of our group while still satisfying my need to collect.

Lastly, the non-gamers in my life have all been happy with my choices so far and generally aren't picky. For as often as I get to play with them, I'm pretty happy with where the collection currently sits.

My Collection

Below I've listed out my full collection. They're categorized by the group of people I would play them with, and then sorted with my favorite on top and least favorite on bottom.

Games with my wife
Castles of Burgundy
Five Tribes
Arboretum
Hive
Carcassonne - with first two expansions
Splendor

Games with my wife and gaming friends
Cosmic Encounter - with all expansions
Roll for the Galaxy - with Ambition
Istanbul - with Mocha & Baksheesh
Libertalia
The Cave
Keyflower- haven't played yet
Hansa Teutonica - haven't played yet

Heavy games with gaming friends only
Agricola - have FotM but haven't tried it yet
Kanban
Lewis & Clark
Panamax - haven't played yet

Lighter games with family, non-gamers, or just large groups
Captain Sonar
The Resistance
Between Two Cities
Sheriff of Nottingham
New York 1901
Robo Rally

Games I don't really enjoy in my collection
BattleCON: War of Indines
Dominion

Wishlist

I've listed out the games in my BGG priority 1 and 2 categories and somewhat sorted them from most wanted to least within each category. Overall, I'm looking to find games that "fill a gap" in my collection. That gap might be a mechanic, a combined duration/weight/player count rating, or a game I haven't been able to take my eye off of for a while. I don't expect to buy anything before Christmas, but you know what they say about a fool and his money. Hopefully these end up on a Secret Santa Amazon list in a few months.

Must have
Kemet - I have no dudes on a map game, but I want to relive childhood Risk without all the things that make Risk bad.
Inis - I can't decide between this and Kemet. Maybe both, which might be the closest thing to duplication I have.
Twilight Struggle - I've recently realized how great this game sounds. Considering 13 Days instead so that I can play it more often.
Glass Road - Another mid-weight 1 hour game to play with my wife. I feel we're limited on choices currently.
Terra Mystica - I probably don't know enough about it to put it this high, but it seems like I'd like it.

Must have (expansions)
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Eons - One of my top 3 games, already have the other expansions.
Istanbul: Brief & Siegel - The first expansion impressed me a lot. I think this one will also.

Love to have
Tzolk'in - Only a Love to have because I've already got Agricola and Kanban. My collection doesn't seem big enough for all 3 yet.
Patchwork - This just looks fun. I could see us playing this a lot when we don't have time for Burgundy.
Dungeon Petz - Same as Tzolk'in
Troyes - I've forgotten a lot of the details, but at one time I really wanted this one. I think I still do.

Final Thoughts

I've built this collection over about 2 years. Buying and playing has accelerated in the last six months. I'm probably going to pump the brakes a bit as I hit that point where I can't play my entire collection often enough and games sit unopened for too long. Almost all the games in my Must have list seem to "fill a gap", with maybe the exception of Glass Road. I think I could be content for a good while if I grabbed all or most of those for Christmas and then didn't buy anything new for a while. Prove me wrong! Fuel my addiction! Or just recommend your favorite game that I've overlooked. Whatever you do, thanks for reading this far.

The obvious
The biggest Christmas gift you can give youself is to play your unplayed copy of Keyflower. It might be one of the best games in your collection.

The list
Twilight Struggle - You might enjoy this, you might not, I cant tell. Its very direct, 2 player wargame game. in my opinion, it rises above the level of "take that" to downright confrontational, and it didn't have much if any euro feel to it. Alternately: When I want a wargame, we play Eclipse.

Glass Road - A very good Rosenburg title. Lighter and shorter than Agricola, but still fun. if you like the vegetable/farming theme, consider At the Gates of Loyang alternately.

Terra Mystica must get Terra Mystica: Fire & Ice - A very good game but on the heavier side. We play this fairly often as it has tons of replay with so many choices for faction of your choice.

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar with Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar – Tribes & Prophecies - Wow... There is no other game like it anywhere. The spinning gear system, with having to preplan things out several turns in advance... Its nothing like either Agricola or Kanban so don't let that stop you. And in my collection, it replaced Kanban all together, as its just a better funner game.

Troyes must have The Ladies of Troyes - an excellent Dice drafting game. one of my recent favorites.

The missing

The Voyages of Marco Polo - An excellent dice placement game, but yet nothing like Troyes, complete the contracts and travel to other cities.

Splendor, Quadropolis, 7 Wonders, Imhotep, 7 Wonders Duel - some ideas for the light to medium weight games which are not explicitly 2 players only (except for duel) which your Wife might like, AND your gaming group might also like. None of them are complex in the rules, but are still elegant and challenging for deep thought enjoyment.

Eclipse - the epic space Euro 4x game. This game is just packed full of awesome. it has combat, it has tech trees, it has economy, it many factions, it has miniatures(not just tiles on a hex map), it is a wargame... but it is a Euro. Everything is so nicely balanced, with multiple paths to victory, you can win by war, you can win without war. (Kemet who?)

Dimension - A quick but very elegant spacial reasoning game. Need a 20 minute thought puzzle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I'm one of the few who found Patchwork underwhelming. I would grab Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small every time instead.

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small - It might sound petty but I don't like the idea of owning multiple "versions" of the same game (i.e. 7 Wonders and 7 Wonders: Duel). I know, I know. They're different games. But I want a bit more variety in my collection. And I really enjoy 2 player Agricola.

sao123 wrote:
The obvious
The biggest Christmas gift you can give youself is to play your unplayed copy of Keyflower. It might be one of the best games in your collection.

A tragedy I'm hoping to resolve this weekend.

sao123 wrote:
The list
Twilight Struggle - You might enjoy this, you might not, I cant tell. Its very direct, 2 player wargame game. in my opinion, it rises above the level of "take that" to downright confrontational, and it didn't have much if any euro feel to it. Alternately: When I want a wargame, we play Eclipse.

Glass Road - A very good Rosenburg title. Lighter and shorter than Agricola, but still fun. if you like the vegetable/farming theme, consider At the Gates of Loyang alternately.

Terra Mystica must get Terra Mystica: Fire & Ice - A very good game but on the heavier side. We play this fairly often as it has tons of replay with so many choices for faction of your choice.

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar with Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar – Tribes & Prophecies - Wow... There is no other game like it anywhere. The spinning gear system, with having to preplan things out several turns in advance... Its nothing like either Agricola or Kanban so don't let that stop you. And in my collection, it replaced Kanban all together, as its just a better funner game.

Troyes must have The Ladies of Troyes - an excellent Dice drafting game. one of my recent favorites.

Twilight Struggle - I feel fairly certain I'll like it. I feel optimistic that it will get played once every 2-3 months. I think this is going to end up in my collection very soon.

Glass Road and At the Gates of Loyang - I don't have a good grasp on all the different nuances of Rosenberg's various games. I picked glass Road because of the short playtime and its emphasis on 2 players. After watching Rahdo's runthrough, I felt good about it. I haven't given much thought to AtGoL or Ora et Labora.

Terra Mystica - Yes, the separate factions sounds very different than anything I have. I haven't been able to figure out what to compare this game to, which makes me feel confident that it will have a unique spot in my collection. I don't know anything about Fire & Ice, but I'm generally a big fan of expansions.

Tzolk'in - You're probably right. I'm probably lumping "worker placement" games too close together. But at the same time, I feel like the amount of heavy games I have is pretty high considering how often I get to play them. This is certainly a must have at some point.

Troyes - I should watch Rahdo's video again and remember what it was that caught my attention other than his enthusiasm.

sao123 wrote:

The missing

The Voyages of Marco Polo - An excellent dice placement game, but yet nothing like Troyes, complete the contracts and travel to other cities.

Splendor, Quadropolis, 7 Wonders, Imhotep, 7 Wonders Duel - some ideas for the light to medium weight games which are not explicitly 2 players only (except for duel) which your Wife might like, AND your gaming group might also like. None of them are complex in the rules, but are still elegant and challenging for deep thought enjoyment.

Eclipse - the epic space Euro 4x game. This game is just packed full of awesome. it has combat, it has tech trees, it has economy, it many factions, it has miniatures(not just tiles on a hex map), it is a wargame... but it is a Euro. Everything is so nicely balanced, with multiple paths to victory, you can win by war, you can win without war. (Kemet who?)

Dimension - A quick but very elegant spacial reasoning game. Need a 20 minute thought puzzle?

The Voyages of Marco Polo - Nothing like Troyes? Hmm...I should really check these two out a bit closer.

Light games - I should have mentioned that we have bought my in-laws a few games including 7 Wonders, Ticket to Ride, and Pandemic. I also have a few friends with popular light games like this, which is partially why my collection doesn't have many of them. We actually do have Splendor. I probably wouldn't get 7 Wonders: Duel if I get Patchwork. Not the same game at all, I know, but it fills a similar role. I had decided against Quadropolis at one point for some reason or another, but maybe I'll look into Imhotep. Overall, this isn't a category I'm looking to load up on much at the moment.

Eclipse - As a replacement for Kemet? Hm. I recently looked at Eclipse and generally liked what I saw. I wish SUSD or Drive-Thru Reviews had a video on it. I thought it seemed more like a 4x and less like a wargame?

Dimension - The only one here I've never even heard of. Guess I've got some homework.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kyleglyn wrote:
matthean wrote:

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small - It might sound petty but I don't like the idea of owning multiple "versions" of the same game (i.e. 7 Wonders and 7 Wonders: Duel). I know, I know. They're different games. But I want a bit more variety in my collection. And I really enjoy 2 player Agricola.

sao123 wrote:
The obvious

A tragedy I'm hoping to resolve this weekend.

sao123 wrote:
The list

Twilight Struggle - I feel fairly certain I'll like it. I feel optimistic that it will get played once every 2-3 months. I think this is going to end up in my collection very soon.

Glass Road and At the Gates of Loyang - I don't have a good grasp on all the different nuances of Rosenberg's various games. I picked glass Road because of the short playtime and its emphasis on 2 players. After watching Rahdo's runthrough, I felt good about it. I haven't given much thought to AtGoL or Ora et Labora.

Terra Mystica - Yes, the separate factions sounds very different than anything I have. I haven't been able to figure out what to compare this game to, which makes me feel confident that it will have a unique spot in my collection. I don't know anything about Fire & Ice, but I'm generally a big fan of expansions.

Tzolk'in - You're probably right. I'm probably lumping "worker placement" games too close together. But at the same time, I feel like the amount of heavy games I have is pretty high considering how often I get to play them. This is certainly a must have at some point.

Troyes - I should watch Rahdo's video again and remember what it was that caught my attention other than his enthusiasm.

sao123 wrote:

The missing

The Voyages of Marco Polo - Nothing like Troyes? Hmm...I should really check these two out a bit closer.

Light games - I should have mentioned that we have bought my in-laws a few games including 7 Wonders, Ticket to Ride, and Pandemic. I also have a few friends with popular light games like this, which is partially why my collection doesn't have many of them. We actually do have Splendor. I probably wouldn't get 7 Wonders: Duel if I get Patchwork. Not the same game at all, I know, but it fills a similar role. I had decided against Quadropolis at one point for some reason or another, but maybe I'll look into Imhotep. Overall, this isn't a category I'm looking to load up on much at the moment.

Eclipse - As a replacement for Kemet? Hm. I recently looked at Eclipse and generally liked what I saw. I wish SUSD or Drive-Thru Reviews had a video on it. I thought it seemed more like a 4x and less like a wargame?

Dimension - The only one here I've never even heard of. Guess I've got some homework.

You are, of course, right on Eclipse... It is more of a 4x game than a wargame. However having started at Risk, Then on to Axis and Allies, Next on to StarFleet Battles and Federation Commander, Risk Legacy, BattleStations (and soon BattleStations 2nd Ed).
Since I am a bigger fan of Euro's, Eclipse wins over them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
You are, of course, right on Eclipse... It is more of a 4x game than a wargame. However having started at Risk, Then on to Axis and Allies, Next on to StarFleet Battles and Federation Commander, Risk Legacy, BattleStations (and soon BattleStations 2nd Ed).
Since I am a bigger fan of Euro's, Eclipse wins over them all.

Do you have any recommended videos to watch to get a grasp on this game? None of my go-to reviewers seem to have covered it in depth. Also, what other games do people consider in place of this game, just for some context? Through the Ages seems too long and I like the space theme better in this case.

I think Eclipse should be high up on my list, but I don't think it needs to displace anything else. Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd recommend Nexus Ops to scratch that "like Risk but great" itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/54026/eclipse/rahdo-runs...
Rado does a good job explaining the game, but keep in mind him and his wife don't particularly love combat games.
Most people play this as the shortened version (but Euro-ized) of Twilight Imperium 3.

And there's always Tom.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/17095/eclipse/dice-tower-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cole
United Kingdom
Cottenham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Well if you're considering Kemet and Inis, why not throw in Cyclades. In fact, these games have nothing in common except their publisher and their great production quality. In don't think Inis duplicates Kemet at all (based on what little I've seen of Inis ... I don't have this yet). OK, maybe they do all qualify as "dude on a map" but really, they play totally different to each other.

Kemet is awesome action-selection with area-control and crazy strategic "power" tech tree.
Inis is card drafting and subtlety (and a short 1hr play time)
Cyclades is tense bidding and trying to outwit your opponents.

One further recommendation: Dogs of war. This is a wonderful game of bluffing, tension and high player-interaction. Yet, it has a simple core mechanic of worker-placement. It's also quick to play and easy to teach. It's been a hit with every group I've tried it with even though it's gotten very little love on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
Rahdo...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/54026/eclipse/rahdo-runs...
Rado does a good job explaining the game, but keep in mind him and his wife don't particularly love combat games.
Most people play this as the shortened version (but Euro-ized) of Twilight Imperium 3.

And there's always Tom.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/17095/eclipse/dice-tower-...

Thank you. I think I've seen parts of Tom's video. I'll check out Rahdo's as well. For now, I've put Eclipse on my Must have list, as I feel like I'll probably like it and can't think of anything I would rather have in the 4x category.

Ah_Pook wrote:
Personally I'd recommend Nexus Ops to scratch that "like Risk but great" itch.

I've heard good things about Nexus Ops but never really looked into it. Guess I really should try to understand it and see how it compares to some of the others I'm considering.

bryancole1 wrote:
Well if you're considering Kemet and Inis, why not throw in Cyclades. In fact, these games have nothing in common except their publisher and their great production quality. In don't think Inis duplicates Kemet at all (based on what little I've seen of Inis ... I don't have this yet). OK, maybe they do all qualify as "dude on a map" but really, they play totally different to each other.

Kemet is awesome action-selection with area-control and crazy strategic "power" tech tree.
Inis is card drafting and subtlety (and a short 1hr play time)
Cyclades is tense bidding and trying to outwit your opponents.

One further recommendation: Dogs of war. This is a wonderful game of bluffing, tension and high player-interaction. Yet, it has a simple core mechanic of worker-placement. It's also quick to play and easy to teach. It's been a hit with every group I've tried it with even though it's gotten very little love on BGG.

You're totally right. I've checked out Cyclades a bit, and must admit that it looks awesome. I think my collection is small enough that I'm still looking at all worker placement or all dudes on a map games as just different flavors of the same thing. I know that's an egregious generalization, but it helps me maximize variety for the time being. It's the same reason I've been hesitant on Tzolk'in or Dungeon Petz when I already own Agricola and Kanban. However, some games just seem too fun and so I'm considering Kemet and Inis in my Must have list. I think Cyclades is a relatively distant 3rd behind these two, but maybe someday I'll grab it.

I've never heard of Dogs of War, but I can certainly check it out.

Recap

I played Keyflower today with a group of 5. I won! But more importantly, everyone loved it. I found the tile that gives 2/3 points for each stone and won it in a mean 2 person bidding war that ended with 6 reds. I then proceeded to use the 3 stone tile and 3 stone for 1 pickaxe tile without contention in the final season. I had a whopping total of 21 stone and gold with the tile upgraded to the 3 point side. That alone won me the game.

Games to Research

Terra Mystica - need a refresher
Troyes - need a refresher
Cottage Garden
At the Gates of Loyang
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Eclipse
Dimension
Nexus Ops
Dogs of War

Wishlist changes
Added Eclipse to Must have

Not Right Now
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Quadropolis
Imhotep
7 Wonders
7 Wonders: Duel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Englewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
kyleglyn wrote:
Everything about this looks awesome to me. The historical aspect, the tension, the direct interaction. 3 hours is about the limit of how long a game should take for me. We often play during the week.

I know my wife won't play, but I've got some friends who I think would be interested. My current heavy 2 player game is Agricola, but I haven't decided what my ideal player count for that game is yet. I feel like I'm settling if I get the watered down version of Twilight Struggle. That sounds irrational when I type it. I guess it's the same reason I skipped Stone Age or Viticulture and went straight for Agricola. So far, my gut is telling me to go big or go home.

I completely understand when you say it would feel like settling, and it doesn't sound irrational at all. If you're daydreaming about Twilight Struggle the whole time you're playing 13 Days, it may take a bit of the fun out of it. I'd say listen to your gut!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.