Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the command order token system in this game quite a bit. I believe that it is something that helps make this game stand out when compared to other games. Most people that have been following the other posts in the Forbidden Stars forum regarding command tokens will probably immediately jump to the conclusion that I will be doing so because I don't want the command order tokens to wear out. While this is true, I am considering 3D printing them for an entirely different reason.

I would like to have a blank command token or two or three for each faction. Take a moment to let that sink in a bit. With the addition of blank command tokens, bluffing could then be taken to another level. Of course integrating blank tokens would require a modification of the rules so players would each play 4 normal order tokens in addition to whatever predetermined number of blank tokens (possibly 1 additional in a 2 player game, 1 or 2 in a 3, and 1, 2 or 3 in a 4). When it comes to resolution time, blanks would be removed and nothing would happen.

Blank bluff tokens are probably as far as I'd go with developing new tokens as they'd be easy to integrate and wouldn't feel incomplete. Whereas other new command tokens would feel lacking without upgrade cards that went along with them.

Another command token idea I have is one with a handshake. This could be used in a team game, of 2 vs. 2. This token would allow a person to share (give) resources. Some sort of coordinate token could be cool as well so player could perform a joint attack or joint defense.

I believe the possibility to expand this game is great. Would be cool to come up with some upgrade cards as well for the command tokens. These are just some thoughts, I've recently had as I was thinking about this game and possible expansions... that can only come from fan development at this point.

Edited after some thought 10/1/16
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I'm serious considering 3D printed command tokens.
Another cool thought with this would be to create faction specific command abilities. This would add more asymmetry to the game, and you could use this to help nerf or buff factions that you feel are to OP or UP.

For example...

Orks

I'm on my way!

You may move one of your ground units from any system to a planet in the activated system.

Chaos

Corruption

Place one cultist on an uninhabited or friendly world in this system. If all systems are non-friendly and inhabited, remove one Command Level 0 unit in the sector of your choice.

Space Marines

Strength in Numbers

This order counts as an advance order in the system. The outcome of the battle is determined solely upon morale. Ignore all defense and attack symbols on dice, cards, and tokens.

Eldar

Ancient Technology

You may move your ships up to two systems away, as long as their is an uninhabited space in each system. In addition, you may perform an orbital strike. No ground units are moved with this order.

Granted my additions are probably a little too OP to actually use, but that is just the idea. Plus it would require different strategies to combat against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:
Another cool thought with this would be to create faction specific command abilities. This would add more asymmetry to the game, and you could use this to help nerf or buff factions that you feel are to OP or UP.

For example...

Orks

I'm on my way!

You may move one of your ground units from any system to a planet in the activated system.

Chaos

Corruption

Place one cultist on an uninhabited or friendly world in this system. If all systems are non-friendly and inhabited, remove one Command Level 0 unit in the sector of your choice.

Space Marines

Strength in Numbers

This order counts as an advance order in the system. The outcome of the battle is determined solely upon morale. Ignore all defense and attack symbols on dice, cards, and tokens.

Eldar

Ancient Technology

You may move your ships up to two systems away, as long as their is an uninhabited space in each system. In addition, you may perform an orbital strike. No ground units are moved with this order.

Granted my additions are probably a little too OP to actually use, but that is just the idea. Plus it would require different strategies to combat against.

As long as it was described on a card or some other type of reference sheet for people to refer to, I don't see why asymmetric commands could not be made and used.

It is sad that only fan made expansions are possible at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why you're at it might as well print up some better level 0 and level 1 ground troops for all the factions. The silly flags were the only thing that bugged be about the game. Been using space marines/scouts from horus heresy for SM/Chaos still need orc and eldar figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
Why you're at it might as well print up some better level 0 and level 1 ground troops for all the factions. The silly flags were the only thing that bugged be about the game. Been using space marines/scouts from horus heresy for SM/Chaos still need orc and eldar figures.

I would seriously consider it if there were some easy to print 3D models available on the web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't actually played yet so maybe I'm just ignorant, but what would the point of blank tokens be? You can already bluff with a token you don't need and then add it to your event deck instead. And if you really needed it to be truly blank, I believe you can just advance and choose not to move anything, or deploy and choose not to build anything, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dapperghast wrote:
I haven't actually played yet so maybe I'm just ignorant, but what would the point of blank tokens be? You can already bluff with a token you don't need and then add it to your event deck instead. And if you really needed it to be truly blank, I believe you can just advance and choose not to move anything, or deploy and choose not to build anything, etc.

It is a token that is dedicated to bluffing.

In Shadows over Camelot there is the possibility of a traitor. In Battlestar Galactica there is definitely a traitor.

Without the bluffing token, there is the possibility of a bluff. With it, there is definitely a bluff every round, it is a matter of where, when and what the possible bluff is. Having a dedicated bluffing token, almost creates a fog of war type of feeling as more uncertainty is created as the opponents orders become more shrouded. It makes reading the opponent's intentions that much more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, there we go, I missed the part about modding the rules, that makes sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.