Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing around with the design on the back of my cards, but i can't decide on whether to go landscape or portrait.

Would you consider it weird, or wrong, if the fronts were portrait and the back landscape?

(Image used is just a quick example, and not actual design)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unusal yes. Usually I consider the card back to indicate what I would see on the front of the card.

100% wrong no...just not intuitive.

meeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
Would you consider it weird, or wrong, if the fronts were portrait and the back landscape?

Yes. It would be confusing & gratuitously misleading & (to me) annoying.

Having the back and front oriented the same way helps people automatically instinctively place a card correctly oriented when they turn it over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on how the cards are used. If they are held in hand where others see the backs, then make the back title Portrait.

If the cards are laid out as decks (and if the layout fits better as landscape, and the card is just going to be placed face up on the table/board, then do landscape.

Basically, it depends on how the back is used. If never seen, then make it fit the setup.

Default would be matching as stated above by Russ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If cards are to be used as portrait,I like them to be drawn as potrait, and when they're landscape that annoys.

Alien Uprising and Star Wars: Imperial Assault do this, as well as mixing portrait decks and landscape decks which is another nit as I prefer games with multiple decks to have a consistent orientation (c.f. Dungeon! which has 12 portrait decks with landscape backs).

Not a huge deal esecially if your cardback artwork is awesome, but multiple decks with mixed orientations can complicate setting up a compact organized play area, plus annoy finicky people like me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sapienza
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm going to agree with others' responses. This would annoy me in playing. The back's orientations indicates to me how I pick it up and how I put it in my hand. Having it landscape would just feel wrong/odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Are there different types of cards in your game? Then you might consider putting an effort into making them easy to differentiate.

In a XCG I guess you often only have one back and want it to be a good logo. In regular board games I like when you somehow try to represent the card type in a good way, maybe skipping the actual game name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless there is a reason to introduce cognitive dissonance between front and back orientations, I concur with the majority so far that they should be congruent.

Thus, landscape fronts should have landscape backs, with the card flipped on the 'short' side.

Portrait fronts should have portrait backs, with the card flipped on the 'long' side.

Put another way, if the card was stood up in a stand on the table, both the front and back of the card would have its content readable without standing on your head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rotated 127 degrees, so that the text reads from not-quite-bottom-right corner to not-quite-top-left corner when the front face is upright. In bright green Comic Sans on a red-orange background. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slounger wrote:
Rotated 127 degrees, so that the text reads from not-quite-bottom-right corner to not-quite-top-left corner when the front face is upright. In bright green Comic Sans on a red-orange background. devil

In that case we should rotate the front a few degrees, just enough that OCD gamers notice that something is off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.