Terra Mystica» Forums » Variants

Subject: Terra Mystica Idea for Giants to make them competitive rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Clark
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
My friends and I are trying to find ways to make Terra Mystica more re-playable by making the classes more distinctive. One thought we had was to change the giants a bit and make them more competitive by making their special ability be something like, "terraform AND place one dwelling for free, but can only use this once per turn", and then upgrading to stronghold enables the giants to terraform and place a dwelling three times immediately.

I feel like this may be a fun/distinctive play style because it limits the total amount of dwellings that can be placed by the Giants to 11 total throughout the whole game(including starting 2), but it makes up for it by not needing workers to terraform or place dwellings. It also places an emphasis on when the stronghold is made, and where those terraform/dwellings are placed. It kind of helps the giants get to a city fast which may be a fun play style because I do not know of a race that could potentially get to a city that fast.

Thoughts? Balance suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel this would strongly overpower the Giants. If you built the stronghold in Round 1, you would get 6 dwellings for free. Those dwellings normally cost 2c and 1w, so over the course of the game, you are saving 18 resources. Given that you will spend 60-80 resources (workers + coins), that's 20-30% of your resources for free!

Also consider that at the end of the game, 3c score you 1VP. If the Giants can build a temple in round 2 (not unrealistic), and take the FAV11 tile (D >>2VP), then they will score 10VP for free by building those dwellings (more if it's a dwelling scoring round). Normally, those 5 dwelling will cost 15 resources = 5 VP, so the sum total points would be 5 VP if you spend the resources. This becomes even more powerful if, when they build the stronghold, they can build 3 for free (which is actually the Halflings SH ability, not Giants). This means they could potentially place 7 dwelling s for free throughout the game, giving them a substantial advantage over anyone else (even the Swarmlings: even though they can get a TP for free, everything else is very expensive for them).

For ideas on rebalancing the factions, check out the new rules for the bonus landscapes, which give each faction a new rule. The Giants rule is they can move up on the Dig track once for free (scoring the 6 VP along the way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Your stated limitation to 11 dwellings (2 at start + 6 from rounds + 3 from SH) seems to indicate that they lose the ability to build a dwelling on hexes which are already red?

Just so I understand your idea correctly:
1. Giants lose their faction ability to terraform all non-ice/volcano hexes to red using 2 spades.
2. Giants gain a once-per-round faction ability that allows them to terraform a non-ice/volcano hex to red and place a free dwelling there.
3. Giants SH special ability is changed to a one-time benefit when upgrading a TP to SH (similar to e.g. Halflings' SH), which consists of immediate terraforming up to three non-ice/volcano hexes to red and placing dwellings on each.
4. Besides 2. and 3., Giants have no way to terraform or build dwellings.

I assume that for both 2. and 3., the target hexes need to be directly or indirectly adjacent; also, the Giants need to have the required amount of dwellings available on their board.

Do the new Giants have any use for spades (from BON1 or cults)? Can they still advance digging?

This sounds quite OP - while they probably won't win much VP from network scoring, the savings from all these free dwellings, the therefore free worker income and the ability to block other players early should make them Dragonlords on steroids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Heitzinger
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Well, besides your ideas being really overpowered, this isn't the way to buff a faction.
What you've made is an entirely new faction.
If you want to buff giants, it needs to be something subtle so they keep their identity. Something like starting the game with a priest, or some more money, something like that.

One idea I like is giving them one free shovel token that they can save for when they have an odd number of shovels and need one (like from the cult track).

Try something small for buffs.

For big changes, create an entirely new faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.