$30.00
Corbin Gross
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey, guys.

First time here. Howya doin'.

I'm kind of new to Legendary, but I've got a few hours of play time under my belt, so not totally green...

But about these expansions. Is each expansion dependent on the earlier ones at all? Or can you play any expansion with just the core set?

I have the Legendary base set, and the FF, PTTR, and GOTG expansions. I skipped the Dark City since demons and organized crime don't appeal to me so much. I'll probably pick up the Secret Wars boxes at some point.

But if I'm not terribly interested in the characters/schemes or whatever from Dark City, the other small-box expansions should all work OK, right? Does each expansion build on another in an essential way?

I tend to like to play my games thematically if I'm a fan of the subject matter. I know there could be anything on the cards and it'd still work. But I love having the characters all together in a story that could actually happen, so I pretty much play with Masterminds, Characters, Villains, and Schemes and so forth from a single box, and just add the agents and wounds and whatever from the base set as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Titch
msg tools
No no, each expansion works completely fine on its own. The only potential exception is secret wars 2 comes with 10 cards meant for use in a deck in secret wars 1, but even so it comes with a scheme that makes use of them. So you're good, don't worry. I will say thoygh - dark city is a great set and I would consider getting it at some point, even if it's after you get the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Banzon
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not entirely sure, since UD does repeat rulesets for abilities re-used in newer expansions (like teleporting and wall crawl) in those loose leaf summaries.

What I do know is that you can clearly observe a throughline for design when you play them chronologically. The evolution of the rules becomes more prominent around Villains and SW 1+2. I don't think you should worry about that, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Also, the Sidekicks in Secret Wars 1 return (to an extent) in Civil War, and IMO the core Special Bystanders that make the most thematic sense are all in Dark City.

Note: This is to a much lesser extent. More or less, you can buy them in any order. Except for Fantastic Four. If you find a copy for less than $30, buy three and mail them to me. (It's out of print and one of the best expansions!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wait, you have Fantastic Four already? Woah. Did you get someone's old copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! It's a great game, and short answer is you can buy in any order or alone with the base set.

Long answer is - there are a few examples of cards in an expansion that go with mechanics introduced earlier. Very few. I'm talking: special bystanders (introduced in Dark City expansion, but a few more sprinkled in throughout other expansions). Special Sidekicks (in Civil War, but introduced in Secret Wars) and Playing as the Mastermind (Secret Wars Vol 2, introduced in Vol 1). Those are really the only ones I can think of and they are VERY minor like a few dozen cards out of hundreds throughout the expansions.

I hear you on the avoiding the darker content (Demons, Underworld,dumb zombie stuff, etc..) We have that preference too. Since these are also only a dozen or so cards in an expansion we just removed them from the game and never use 'em. Problem solved. Again, it's only like 3% of the cards or something? Out of millions of setup combinations? You'll never miss them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
While they're not technically necessary, some of them do kind of depend on each other. Secret Wars v2 includes a little bit of ambition cards that can't be used just by themselves except for the one scheme. Otherwise, they work with v1's ambitions. Civil War introduces its own set of sidekicks, but they add on to the sidekick stack introduced in Secret Wars v1. They technically can work without the originals, but they're best mixed.

Beyond that, I don't really see any relation there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Corbin!!!! The short answer: all of the expansions are built to operate exclusively with the Base Set. Because of that, they all blend well together too. The things others mentioned are just things that are similar or repeat elements, but they're not dependent upon each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Does anybody have GG to help pay for an avatar? I'm a bit short, but I've put in what I can.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Gross
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey, y'all

Thanks for the great and quick replies.

Sounds like the main set that works together is Secret Wars 1 and 2. Can't see buying one without the other for me though, anyway.

I got lucky on the FF pack. I had $50 to spend and just typed Legendary on my local Offerup. Happened to find a guy with the base, DC, FF, and PTTR just a few minutes from me and only posed about 12 hrs previous.

I hustled over to meet the guy and did pretty well, I think. I wound up selling the base set (already had it) and the DC pack on the big A site for $60.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Gross
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
I wouldn't mind having some more henchmen options and a few of the heroes and stuff. If I find it again, cheap or incomplete, I might just pick the stuff out that I like.

Definitely want to SW 1&2 and CW ASAP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Check out the weekly challenges on this site for superb thematic play. They come with a story line, villains, and the heroes to start you on your way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I originally got into Sentinels of the Multiverse without the base game. I used one large expansion and bought a couple of extra hero expansions. I got all the rules here, online, and it worked great!
Would it be possible to do the same by getting Darkcity alone? Or would something other than the board be missing? (Or does Darkcity come with a board...?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have either base set, then you don't have:
board/playmat
starter cards
Mara Hill/Madam Hydra
Wounds/Bindings (although using only Civil War grievous wounds could be interesting)
Scheme/Plot Twits
Master/Command Strikes
Normal bystanders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Gross
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm still a relative newbie, but I think it'd be possible in theory. I'm not totally sure how the balance of cards would work out, I'm no designer, but I think you could replace most of what would be missing with those double-backed place-holder cards that come in some of the expansions.

You'd need to find something to represent the Bystander, Wounds, Shield Officer/Trooper/Agent, Scheme Twist, and Master Strike cards. I've never needed more than a dozen Bystanders, Officers, or Wounds...

I suppose if you could get a stack of those blank cards, you could just write what they're supposed to represent and as long as the back looked like the others, they'd play just fine.

Just a theory though. I'd love to hear what the more experienced folks would say.

It's a good question though. I'd love to know if there's somewhere out there you could buy just one kind of card. Like for the CW expansion, say I just wanted one of the new heroes or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you really want, there's eBay. And yet, at $1/card, at some point you should really just buy the base set.

You'll miss out on Black Widow, who is one of the best heroes, as well as the original Spider-Man, as well as Wolverine. I don't play with many of the other Heroes from the base set, personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.