$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Insane: Forbidden Words, how's it work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
It says I've gone insane and can't speak. Is that in game speaking, with my fellow players in real life, or both?!?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In real life only.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
It says I've gone insane and can't speak. Is that in game speaking, with my fellow players in real life, or both?!?


You the player literally cannot speak.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
heyyouyeahyou 12
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It continues to baffle me that this question comes up so often. Just stop talking. That's all there is to it. You just have to not say anything for the rest of the game. lol
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
omegalife2002 wrote:
It continues to baffle me that this question comes up so often. Just stop talking. That's all there is to it. You just have to not say anything for the rest of the game. lol


Same here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
omegalife2002 wrote:
It continues to baffle me that this question comes up so often. Just stop talking. That's all there is to it. You just have to not say anything for the rest of the game. lol


Same here.

Cuz there is a card that has your character talking on the radio. So is that allowed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were meant to affect your investigator too, then there would be rules to tell us what in-game effects involve talking. No such rules are presented, so it can only be interpreted as affecting the player and not the investigator.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
omegalife2002 wrote:
It continues to baffle me that this question comes up so often. Just stop talking. That's all there is to it. You just have to not say anything for the rest of the game. lol

I'm just surprised that there aren't a similar number of players complaining about having to burn down their house to win.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
omegalife2002 wrote:
It continues to baffle me that this question comes up so often. Just stop talking. That's all there is to it. You just have to not say anything for the rest of the game. lol

I'm just surprised that there aren't a similar number of players complaining about having to burn down their house to win.

I'd say I was baffled by snarky replies to rules questions but I'm not. I've seen it for as long as I've been on BGG. Look folks, someone asks a question, it doesn't make them an object of complaint. Help them out, or not, but don't chuckle about how their denseness baffles you.

As to the case in question, now that I'm out of being in the middle of playing the game...

The card says I'm supposed to be quiet, yeah, I get that. However my character also has a radio and is trying to convince some ship captain to rescue me from Innsmouth. I'm told I don't want to use any words ever again because it's the words, the words are destroying everything. Yet here I am using words to talk on the radio. That didn't quite add up to me, so I posted on here (because I couldn't ask my gaming buddy because I couldn't talk.).

Thanks for the help, those who gave any.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a snarky comment - but it is a game. It is not possible to cover every possible situation with every single card every time. I suppose you would have to think that even though the words are driving your investigator insane sometimes it is just absolutely necessary to speak those evil words and communicate in game, whilst you as a player do not speak out loud. Maybe you can communicate in morse code!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rowley
England
flag msg tools
I've only played the first scenario with my group so far, but we quickly agreed that wherever there was rules ambiguity, we would decide to do what was most appropriate thematically.

In this instance, if I were silenced and my character had this action to talk, I would instead decide that I had to trade the radio off to one of my allies.

That may not always be possible, but it's already helped us get past some ambiguities based on monster movement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kikizosan wrote:
I've only played the first scenario with my group so far, but we quickly agreed that wherever there was rules ambiguity, we would decide to do what was most appropriate thematically.

In this instance, if I were silenced and my character had this action to talk, I would instead decide that I had to trade the radio off to one of my allies.

That may not always be possible, but it's already helped us get past some ambiguities based on monster movement.

There's no problem with putting your own restrictions on the game, but this interpretation almost certainly isn't intended. If it were intended, there would be a way to know which events and actions require speech and which don't, and there is no such thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
In our first game, I got this insane condition, and for the next 45 minutes, until we finished (successfully), I spoke not one word, communicating by pointing, looking quizzical and shrugging.

Both my companions failed to notice my meticulous (and inspired) play, which, considering most folk think I bit the Blarney stone, left me more than a tad miffed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Kikizosan wrote:
I've only played the first scenario with my group so far, but we quickly agreed that wherever there was rules ambiguity, we would decide to do what was most appropriate thematically.

In this instance, if I were silenced and my character had this action to talk, I would instead decide that I had to trade the radio off to one of my allies.

That may not always be possible, but it's already helped us get past some ambiguities based on monster movement.

There's no problem with putting your own restrictions on the game, but this interpretation almost certainly isn't intended. If it were intended, there would be a way to know which events and actions require speech and which don't, and there is no such thing.


While this may not be intended, I find it more fun and a better way to play it. Having a person not be able to talk is boring and easily avoidable with pointing and even writing things down. It is easy to metagame that one and make it more of an annoyance than a hindrance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The confusion and frustration of trying to communicate simple things through gestures is where the fun would come for most groups. I wouldn't allow someone to write stuff down or communicate in sign language to someone else that knows it, as that is indeed too boring.

Also, playing it as some sort of only in-game effect makes it harder to use not speaking as cover for a nastier insane condition...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got an official answer on this one from FFG:

Kara Centell-Dunk wrote:
Forbidden words prevents the player from speaking. it does not prevent the investigator the player is playing from interacting with Person tokens.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.