Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CL and ADP are repritned, but not this one nor FITL, just wonder why? nobody likes the theme? the game is broken compared to CL and ADP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why not repritning?
ah3Dog wrote:
CL and ADP are repritned, but not this one nor FITL, just wonder why? nobody likes the theme? the game is broken compared to CL and ADP?

I don't know why not reprinted, but Andean Abyss is certainly NOT broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are on GMT's P-500 page:

https://www.gmtgames.com/s-2-p500.aspx

Did you hear something to the contrary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Auger
England
Manningtree
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why not repritning?
They're both on the P500 for Reprinting. Andean Abyss has 304 pre-orders and Fire in the Lake has 305. This is GMT's standard approach for both new and reprinted titles. Once a title hits 500 pre-orders a production slot is scheduled and the game will eventually be reprinted - it just might take a while. First it needs to hit the 500 pre-orders and then fit into an already busy production schedule, so it could take a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My intention was not asking why GMT does not reprint it (which I understand how P500 works), my question is more about , why the gamers support CL and ADP but not AA nor FITL.

Personally I like AA theme most, which each organization inside the game has its clear agenda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came to COIN late. I think others are in the same boat. We will support AA, and we're looking forward to its release. I recently acquired CL (currently set up a few feet from me) and ADP. We get what we can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mirror
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
My intention was not asking why GMT does not reprint it (which I understand how P500 works), my question is more about , why the gamers support CL and ADP but not AA nor FITL.

Personally I like AA theme most, which each group has its clear agenda

Looks like Andean Abyss is actually the best selling COIN game this year according to this list on the GMT page: https://www.gmtgames.com/c-43-best-sellers-current-year.aspx

The impression that I get is that with the exception to a few titles which have sold fairly consistently over the years like Twilight Struggle, Battle Line and Dominant Species, once the current print run is out, the relatively (yet perhaps not top top sellers) just go back into the P500 mill to start the process again. This probably has something to do with their print and shipping schedule not being entirely linear.

Here Gene Billingsley talks about sales and the GMT system in general: http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=11404

One other thought that I have is that it's possible that COIN fandom is kind of split in terms of actual unit sales because everyone has their preferred variant, which likely leads to different sorts of numbers than other base games plus expansions might have, or simply standalone games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
slaphead6 wrote:
They're both on the P500 for Reprinting. Andean Abyss has 304 pre-orders and Fire in the Lake has 305. This is GMT's standard approach for both new and reprinted titles. Once a title hits 500 pre-orders a production slot is scheduled and the game will eventually be reprinted - it just might take a while. First it needs to hit the 500 pre-orders and then fit into an already busy production schedule, so it could take a while.

that's actually NOT how reprints work at GMT.

while reprint P500 numbers do influence GMT's decisions with regard to a game's slot in the print schedule, a game does not need to reach 500 orders to be reprinted. a reprint game is typically placed into the P500 system to enable people to acquire the reprint at the P500 discounted price.

likewise, just because a reprint exceeds 500 orders does not mean it is given priority. there have been quite a few games in the reprint list with more than 500 orders which were passed over in favor of reprints with lower orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Ludwig

Remetschwil
Schweiz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always was interested in the theme - even before I knew COIN.
This theme is the best actual 4 player COIN game.
I own a copy, so I don't need a reprint, however I'd like to have expansions, that threat what happend prior, and after the period covered in the base game.
With the 8th COIN game at the horizon, it would also be interesting to know, if the designers would do anything different after all those years.
I'd print the city spaces a bit bigger - that's all, that I could think about right now.
Maybe the game is relatively not that popular, because most players are from the US, and they're not as directly involved in the conflict, compared to LoD, FitL or ADP.
Or maybe AA is easier to acquire on the 2nd hand market - that's how I got my copy - like new, just without the shrinkwrap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Fineschi
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Andean Abyss is a great game. A perfect starter for the coin system. I hope for a future expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got tired of waiting and just bought one on ebay, yep over paid. $80+
But now finished the coin series collection and can cross off my list of must haves. Now back to studying and learning with Cuba Libre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slaphead6 wrote:
They're both on the P500 for Reprinting. Andean Abyss has 304 pre-orders and Fire in the Lake has 305.

AA is now up to 428 pre-orders, so hopefully we'll see a reprint in 2018. FitL is up to 518 though, so it's interesting how it surged ahead over the past eight months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.