Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hosting a Halloween themed game afternoon on October 30. There will be two adult non-gamers, and one a adult and one 10 year old who are getting into gaming as a family activity (they both watch table top and play games like colt express).

I plan to play Mysterium for sure, which will leave us with about an hour and a half for another game. My options for additional games are:
Betrayal at House on the Hill
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game

Are either of these appropriate for a 10 year old? Are these playable in the time we have? Would the non-gamers be able to follow along? Are there certain haunts in Betrayal we should avoid because they are too mature (for the 10 year old) or too complex (for the non-gamers)? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark B wrote:

Betrayal at House on the Hill

Are either of these appropriate for a 10 year old?

I haven't viewed all of the haunts, but I think as long as the game is kept a little light-hearted and the 10 year old ends up on the "good guys" team, they will be fine. Betrayal is much more cheesy 80's B horror film than it lets on. That helps a lot in introducing it to new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark B wrote:
Are there certain haunts in Betrayal we should avoid because they are too mature (for the 10 year old) or too complex (for the non-gamers)? Thank you!

can't remember a haunt being too mature but the gory details in the haunts/cards texts might be, have a look. there are some additional traitor rules that the traitor needs to know + the traitor needs to understand his/hers own rules/mechanics of the particular haunt.

when i've played it with "non-gamers" involved it's been working best when someone who knows the game (or is familiar with games) ends up as the traitor and the others can together figure out the haunt rules for survivors. as stated above being the traitor and having everyone else gang up on you might not be super fun for a 10 year old.

(ps. if you wanna make it easier and can do without the surprise there are a few haunts with no traitors, just you vs evil twins or the house itself for example)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
betrayal should be fine - I've played with younger kids and just say that they are not the ones who can be the traitor and it passes to the person on the left but I imagine a 10 year old might be fine

A good quick fun filler to consider is Midnight Party
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you would consider playing an RPG, Dread would be a good choice for Halloween. The jenga setup really evoked the whole horror movie feel for me of the buildup to knowing something awful is going to happen. The game is so appropriately named. Timeframe might make this not an option though; probably need to set aside ~3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.