Subject: Idea: Multi-Map Battles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Spoilers for one of the campaigns-

Spoiler (click to reveal)
One thing that I've found fascinating about the Return to Hoth campaign is the finale, which seems to take place over two stages with different maps (I haven't played it yet, but I'm the Imp player and game owner, so I can look ahead a little ). What I really like about it is the epicness of fighting across multiple maps, I think that's really cool!

Honestly, I wouldn't mind something similar to that in future campaigns. What I think would be cool would be to have missions with multiple maps on the table with certain objectives on each of them. These missions would probably be a little closer to the skirmish mode, in that they'd be more based around scoring than just completion- here's an example, just a rough mock up:

The Race for the Holocrons-

Create a map for each of the Rebel heroes. Maps are created in this order, with the final two maps only included if there are 3 or 4 Rebel heroes, respectively-

Imperial Interior (Super Star Destroyer)
Forest (Dantooine)
Desert (Jakku)
Junkyard(Ord Mantell)

Each Rebel would choose which map to spawn on. Rebels can stack up on a single planet, but each Rebel that does so will leave an entire map in the hands of the Empire. Each map has an extraction point that allows Rebels to jump to hyperspace and help out on another map, but that also requires that hero to skip the next turn before arriving.

The Empire cannot send units to other maps, but can choose which map to spawn units on when they become available.

Victory is based off of controlling points (terminals, for instance) for a certain amount of turns.

Once one side achieves their objective, a finale objective is activated, dependent on who won the previous objective. At this point, Imperial Extraction points open up as well.

I obviously wouldn't want an entire campaign to use this mechanic, but I think something like this could make for some really epic, galaxy-spanning scenarios! If used as a finale, it might even be cool to have these maps represent locations previously visited in the campaign, allowing the Rebels to really tie together their experience.

Obviously this is a pretty rough sketch of an idea, but I'd love to her input on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis T
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea. Also i can combine this idea with an rpg style campaign i created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be cool if the outcome on one map influenced the outcome on the other map like Han & Ewoks disabling the shield generator affecting the space battle over Endor, or Obi-wan disabling the tractor beam while the rest battle stormtroopers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
spaztian wrote:
It would be cool if the outcome on one map influenced the outcome on the other map like Han & Ewoks disabling the shield generator affecting the space battle over Endor, or Obi-wan disabling the tractor beam while the rest battle stormtroopers.

I really, really like that idea, and had considered it. Almost like last year's Risk: Star Wars edition.

The only problem I have with it is having more rigid examples like this really complicates things. It'd probably be doable, but if there's one main objective that needs to be unlocked (like a shield generator) there's not much stopping the Empire from just stacking all their units there to make it extra difficult.

Of course, without the ability to move them across maps that may be a poor strategy- but an Empire player who would make that mistake would make for a pretty weirdly balanced and potentially unfun (for both sides, really) experience. Still, I guess that's pretty much up to the Empire, so maybe it could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
it would definitely have to be balanced. Kind of like how War of the Ring balances the ring hunt with the military movemtents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
spaztian wrote:
it would definitely have to be balanced. Kind of like how War of the Ring balances the ring hunt with the military movemtents.

True.

But yeah, I think Imperial Assault does a good job with capturing the feeling of the series, but Star Wars has always been a series that features big multi-layered fights. I think expanding a little on the current formula could totally allow for that, and could provide a better storytelling and gameplay experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.